1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop broke need urgent help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by aphexface, Jun 20, 2007.

1. aphexface

aphexface Member

My laptop recently won't go to windows, it turns on but after a while goes to a blue screen saying it needs to close down for the safety of windows or something along those lines... also it says something about if i have installed new hardware, which i haven't.
    it will then give me the option to start in safemode or safemode with command prompt after a reboot.
    i have a lot of work for uni on it i need so i'd rather not just wipe it, and am broke so don't want to send it off/take 9it to a repair shop.

if anyone could help i'd be eternally grateful,
    also if no one knows could someone suggest a good forum for these kind of issues?

thanks in advance.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Oh man, thats the BSOD (blue screen of death). Sorry to tell you this but you're pretty much screwed. The only thing to do would to reload windows, but I read that you didnt want to do that. I think you could do it on a different partition though...

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you get into safemode because if you can then do a system restore to an earlier date. do you have a windows cd or recovery cd's?

4. aphexface

aphexface Member

No, when I try safe mode it brings up the same blue screen, it gave me an option to load from my last saved good known configuration which also resulted in the blue screen.
    I don't have the windows boot disk but think that it's already on my laptop, as I think I reinstalled windows once about a year ago when things were too messy.
    I might have the boot disk at my another house, but not sure.
    If I create a new partition will I be able to access stuff off my 'screwed' partition?

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

If you divide your C drive into two partitions and install windows on the newly created one, I think you will still have access to the first "screwed" partition, as windows will read it as a 2nd harddrive. You can divide the partitions with the windows cd when you reinstall windows.

6. aphexface

aphexface Member

I see, I guess I'll have to go back to Liverpool and look for the boot disk.
    Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated as always!

7. coryman

coryman Member

Thats what happened to my old laptop what happened is that my cpu fried. and thats the worst thing you could want to happen to a laptop. you may have to replace the motherboard and cpu its just a mess.

8. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

What brand is the laptop?

9. aphexface

aphexface Member

Compaq prescario m2000, does that help?

Also I have a warranty still so if the cpu's fried they should send me a new one which would be even better! Is there much chance of the cpu being over heated, before it broke I noticed that the fan was pretty much always whirring away?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  10. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Well I thought if it was a Toshiba A60/A65 laptop it would have had an extremely good chance of overheating. But with it being a laptop in general, yes overheating could still be a huge problem. Especially if you set it in your lap a lot or on a bed, or places like that because then if the fans are on the bottom the air has no where to go and it increases the heat tremendously. But in my opinion laptops all get too hot anyway. I had a Toshiba about 2 years ago that died from heat (the model I listed above), and a while back I Googled the model number and found out that the particular model had a bad problem with overheating. Also that was before I knew that you weren't supposed to set them in your lap or on beds so I think that had a lot to do with mine overheating.

11. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

You could also try using a live cd version of linux.
    Heres a link to a guide:
    http://jclark.org/weblog/Miscellany/Tech/ubrescue.html
    You can also use knoppix (most recommended)instead ubuntu.

It would be the cheapest way to go but you may have to do a little reading and homework. How much is the data on the disk worth to you is what you have to ask yourself? $1000 for services or a little of your time.

12. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Follow these steps in order, this has worked for me.

1. Turn off the laptop
    2. REMOVE the battery
    3. Remove the Harddrive
    4. Remove the RAM

5. Reinsert the Harddrive
    6. Reinsert 1 of the RAM sticks
    7. Replace Battery
    8. Turn on Laptop and see what happens

**If nothing changes, start the process over and switch the same RAM stick to other Slot, repeat the same process with each stick of RAM**

The Blue Screen of Death could be something a simple as a RAM stick is bad, or a RAM Slot is bad. I have had the BSOD many times on my Dell 5100, two of those time 1 was the RAM and the other time was the Slot. The other BSOD issues were me deleting essentially system file thinking they were viruses.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  13. aphexface

aphexface Member

Blackjax, I've read the guide and it looks promising, I've only scanned through it as I need to go to work in 10mins, would I be ok with 2 ethernet cables linking my desktop to my router then then to my laptop? I will try later, thanks for the link!

nanu-nanu, I tried your method with no success, however when i tried to boot with the ram in the top slot it made that nasty beep noise, but was okay with it in the bottom slot, is that significant at all?

Thanks very much for the help everyone, really appreciate it.

Also, I couldn't see where to download the Ubuntu Live CD, which I would presumably need to burn or mount as an iso?

Another also, my laptop was acting really sluggish at times just before the BSOD appeared, is there a chance it could be virus related? and if so would there be any chance of my desktop catching the virus if i use this ubuntu cd?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  14. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Sorry, I do not know what the beep means.

15. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Sorry about the delayed post.

Also, I couldn't see where to download the Ubuntu Live CD, which I would presumably need to burn or mount as an iso?

Try here for lice ubuntu cd

Another also, my laptop was acting really sluggish at times just before the BSOD appeared, is there a chance it could be virus related? and if so would there be any chance of my desktop catching the virus if i use this ubuntu cd?

It could be but the best I can tell you is create a new directory on your desktop system, put your files there and then immediately do a virus scan with a scanner that has the most recent dat files. The cd would just be for getting your files off your laptop to save them. Only download the files you really need at first that way you know you got them. avoid exe and bat files or any file extensions you don't recognize!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  16. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

ahh you got while I was editing ddp :)

17. aphexface

aphexface Member

Thanks very much will give it a bash tomorrow morning!

18. aphexface

aphexface Member

Gutted, I tried yesterday to no avail, got to this message;

"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not setup correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

When I press yes it says;

:untu@ubuntu:~$
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I am completely new to ubuntu, does anyone have clue what it's problem is? I had a quick look on google etc but nothing I understood or was relevant really came up. There was one thread soemwhere where it said something about a motherboard but I don't really know, is it as good forgetting what I need off it and trying to reinstall windows?

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

pm creaky a link to this thread about your linux problem. another 1 is also deadlove as supposedly knows linux.