1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop caddy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ray316, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ray316

ray316 Member

My laptop packed up on me so l bought another and want to transfer the data from one to another so l went and got a usb 2.0 hdd for a laptop. It came with 2 leads one for a 5v socket to a usb port that l believe l dont have to use even though l have tried this also with the other lead that goes into a small 2.0usb port on the caddy but it does not show anything on the computer even though a light shows on the caddy, but there is a normal sized usb2.0 port on the caddy which l have not used as l did not get a lead with the box.Do l have to use this port as well as l noticed when l was putting the hard drive in the caddy that there was 2 neon lights in there..

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Do you mean a laptop hard drive enclosure? to fit the laptop 2.5" hard drive into?

3. ray316

ray316 Member

yes l have put my 2.5 hard drive into a caddy for data to be put onto another laptop..

4. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

They usually only need one usb connection for power and data transfer, but i have come accross a few that struggle and then shut down and startup again so if the caddy in question has an extra port of some kind that connects to the computer, then it probably needs it to draw that extra needed power.

You could try using another usb port, but i think you would get the same results.