1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop disk tray

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jeetlebuice1, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jeetlebuice1

jeetlebuice1 Member

hope this is right section.im using windows 7 on toshiba satellite latop.dont know if its software related or drivers or what,but heres the problem-turn on the laptop and the disk draw opens no problem,afetr an hour or two the draw refuses to open and when i go to device manager there is know sign of the drive.
    the only thing i can do is restart the machine,where the draw opens again but only for an hour or two.can anyone give me a solution to this as its driving me mad!

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Can you put the drive into another laptop and update the firmware? Most drives will fit in any other laptop, apart from very small ones. Once updated put it back in the w7 box and see what happens.

Also show hidden devices in device manager (when the drive is not working) and expand all the trees and check if anything unexpected is disabled, if so enable it.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

jeetlebuice1, is that an exclamation mark showing in device manager & does it show an error code like "39"?

4. jeetlebuice1

jeetlebuice1 Member

theres no exclamation mark and no error code,the next time it happens ill look over hidden file and see if theres anything wrong,its just like the drive doesnt exist(when it happens)

5. movingrates12

movingrates12 Member

maybe this the right section dude :) I am also using windows 7 on dell laptop and Ive been experiencing the same problem with yours... can anyone help us regarding this problem? thanks