1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop graphis card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jarviss, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jarviss

jarviss Member

I have a Dell 1501 with an ATI Radeon xpress 1150 graphics card that has only VGA output. I wanted to connect it to my LCDtv so i bought a vga to 3 component cable. After many hours of unsuccessfully trying to get the display onto the tv I read the online manual for the tv and it said to connect pc to tv use DVI to HDMI.
    I investigated some more and found vga to HDMI converters for around $180 but i want to know if it will work before spending that much cash.

1. has anyone used one of these boxes and should it work for me?
    2. Is it possible to buy a new graphics card for the laptop that has DVI output? and would this work?
    3. Is there another way?

The only output on the laptop is VGA.
    The only inputs on the tv (Philips 42pf3331) is scart x2, HDMI and 3 component (ypyrb thingy.

Oh yeah,
    I updated the driver for the ATI card and restarted and when It was restarting the welcome screen did appear on the tv with a line accross the screen but once the desktop showed up the tv reported no input signal and went blank. Should i persist with the cable i have?

Jarvis

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I would ask Toshiba first. BTW you can't change the GFX card in a laptop.

3. jarviss

jarviss Member

Why Toshiba? and ask them what?

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sorry I meant dell lol. Yeah ask them if the cable would work.