1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop HDD crashed, need help getting info back

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ORiONx, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ORiONx

ORiONx Member

Okay, I've tried hooking up a 2.5" IDE to USB but the drive wouldn't detect on my desktop I've also removed a HDD from a working laptop and put in mine but it was a no go. I'm thinking a possible system file was deleted??? Any ideas?

2. bluecoal

bluecoal Guest

Hi,

I don't know that I can help, but I think your post is confusing. I wanted to ask for a little more information - maybe that would let someone else help you.

Laptop operating system?
    Desktop operating system?

"Okay, I've tried hooking up a 2.5" IDE to USB"
    More information here please. Does this mean that you removed the drive from your laptop, put it in a usb holder, and tried to read it on your desktop? If so, can you give a little more information about the steps that you did? That might help someone to see where your process went wrong.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.
    does windows see the device at all? is there any jumpers on the drive as mine don't? what size is the drives as i've found that my 40gig 2.5" wd drive needs a lot more power to run than my old 6.4 gig 2.5"? do you hear a ticking sound from the drives when plugged in? are the drives plugged thru the front usb port if you have them or the back as found it has better chance to work thru the back?

4. ORiONx

ORiONx Member

- Windows XP
    - 20gig Laptop HDD (toshiba)
    - attempted connection of 2.5" IDE-to-USB cable with no luck.
    - windows attempts to install but fails.
    - can hear sounds of startup when plugged in to USB adapter cable, telling me it has enough power.
    - have yet to try the ports at the back, will update in a couple hours.
    - Downloaded SpinRite 6.0

5. ORiONx

ORiONx Member

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why did you double post & right now i doubt you need spinrite? try back ports.

7. ORiONx

ORiONx Member

Sorry about that I meant to edit the post and it ended up double posting with the edit. I'll try the back ports but I suspect it'll be the same result. Maybe I'll end up sending it to a recovery lab, HOPE NOT!