1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop is slowin down

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by titoman, May 15, 2007.

1. titoman

titoman Member

My laptop has been really slowing down so i decided to format it, and after format, its still freakin slow, it used to be at normal speed, now i have to wait so long to do things on the laptop, and i have no idea why, since i formatted the laptop...

Also i noticed that cpu usage in the task manager is really high, like when i cilck on a website iexplorer will go up to like 85% usage, and other random softwares will randomly go up to 20% or something, i don't remember that happenin before... Also in the mem usage seems high to me too... For example iexplorer is at 48.000 K. msnmsgr is at 56.000 K and and 3-4 others that are over 10.000 K, and the rest is is between 3.000 K and 10.000K... Do these numbers seem normal..

Also my laptop is runnin at 40 degrees C... i got that info from speedfan...

Anyways i hope someone can help...

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only thing that comes to my mind is how old is your laptop?? mayb its time for a new one???

3. titoman

titoman Member

it's 2 years old , but why would it suddenly slow down like it got infected... u know what i mean... it all of a suddne slowed down so i formatted it, like i always do, and that usually fixes the problem... but not this time

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Mate it sounds like then its a hardware issue and u may need to replace the hard drive or if its under warranty try sending it in and getting it fixed that would be your safest bet.

5. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

looking at my task manager right now i can tell you those numbers look alright...i have firefox open with 10 tabs, and thats running at 120,000 and then trillian is running at about 15000, with a couple others at 10-20,000

6. titoman

titoman Member

thnx for the replies guys but i think i found the problem.... i think there was a problem before on the laptop, then i formatted it but then i forgot to disable the 90 day norton... and that thing kills my laptop... so as soon as i turned that off, the speed is back to normal...

thnx for all the replies

7. titoman

titoman Member

allright guys, ignore the last post... disabling the norton def. helped but my laptop is still slow... One thing i've noticed is the laggin of the videos, the videos (.avi) that i used to watch on my laptop before are now laggin, i've never seen this laptop lag a video before until 2 weeks ago... and that was when i allowed it to run all the applications in the background... but now, i just restarted and turned off all the applications, and it's still laggin, and it lags so much that u can't really watch it... so i'm wondering, what might've happened to my laptop? a virus that still sticked around on my laptop after the reformatting or something else?

somone plz help!!!

8. YesYou

YesYou Regular member

have you tried a memory swap....from another similar machine?

9. titoman

titoman Member

i don't know what a memory swap is...

10. titoman

titoman Member

oh guys, well intersting things happened today... Today, i got the blue screen of death today twice... I think this was like the first time i've seen the blue screen of death in a long time... It basically said

"Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI: Parity check / Memory Parity Check
    ***The system has halted***

This first time it happened, i jsut restarted the laptop, and it booted up fine, the second tiem, i restarted it and the laptop started makin weird noises, i just ended up shuttin it down and waiting for like 5 minutes and turning it on, and here i am, writing this reply...

Also, i dunno if it matters but i've tried burning 3 different ps2 games and none of them finished succesfully and i th

11. titoman

titoman Member

oh guys, well intersting things happened today... Today, i got the blue screen of death today twice... I think this was like the first time i've seen the blue screen of death in a long time... It basically said

"Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI: Parity check / Memory Parity Check
    ***The system has halted***

This first time it happened, i jsut restarted the laptop, and it booted up fine, the second tiem, i restarted it and the laptop started makin weird noises, i just ended up shuttin it down and waiting for like 5 minutes and turning it on, and here i am, writing this reply...

Also, i dunno if it matters but i've tried burning 3 different ps2 games and none of them finished succesfully and i ended up wasting like 5 DVDs and i have been burning ps2 games for like 2 years and i don't think i ever wasted a dvd...

Can someone plz help me or direct me to somewhere where i can get help... i have to move out and go to university in a couple of days, and i really need my laptop... Thanks alot

12. titoman

titoman Member

allright guys, i have just had a breakthrough...

The blue screen shows up when i turn the IE7 off.. when i have like 6 tabs, IE7 sucks the life out of the the laptop... lookin at the task manager, when i click on a link it uses 70-99%... I dont know abuot the first blue screen but the last 2 blue screens happened just when i closed IE7...

Now i'm using the explorer opera... The laptop is faster but i don't know if this is the old speed..

13. club42

club42 Regular member

Have you tried Windows Memory Diagnostic tool? mem diag

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  14. titoman

titoman Member

yeah i did that last night... i tested it on standard and extendes for about 5 times, and no errors were found...

15. titoman

titoman Member

Allright guys, i think the slowing down problem has been solved.. the laptop is running now that i cleaned the registry, the startup files and unistalled bunch of stuff and IE7

but a minute ago, i got the blue screen again...

i dunno what to do about it... can anyone help out plz???