1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Laptop power light

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by paulie57, Aug 12, 2016.

1. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Guys I have a dell inspiron laptop windows 10 , the problem I have is when I shut down the unit , the power stays on , left it alone for hours and power indicaction light still stays on I eventually have to take out the battery for it to go off ,this happens every time I shut down . Thanks in advance guys Cheers lol .....

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did that laptop come originally with win 10 or a previous version?

3. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

No came originally with win 8 , upgraded to 10 , do you think the change caused the problem ? ....
    Cheers ........

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if had no problem in win8 but do in win10 then yes. did you do the upgrade to win10 or fresh install?

5. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ya I did the upgrade , everything else works fine , I did have a problem for awhile after upgrade I kept getting an error message after it updates , but I updated the drivers and that solved that problem , but this power button problem can't figure that one out ?........
    Cheers for the advice .....

6. mahlemuts

mahlemuts Member

I had a similar issue with a Lenovo laptop, firstly check the power settings to make sure that when pressing the power button doesn't 'suspend' your computer if it does, change that to 'power off' second thing to try is to disable hibernation - it could be the sys file is preventing the computer from shutting down.
    to do this open a command prompt as administrator 'right click windows logo in corner and select command prompt admin' when this opens type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes this gives you a few GB of space back and should remedy the issue if the first point doesn't.
    reboot after each attempt, if this doesn't work try re-installing/uninstalling the power management application/driver.

hopefully 1 of these should do it...

7. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Cheers guys will them suggestions a shot tnx ..........

8. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Checked the power settings ,
    Turn on fast startup ........yes
    Sleep ........yes
    Hibernate........no
    Lock.....yes
    I take it there ok , will try the second option .......

9. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Guys I just tried something by chance and it shut down ok , I was right clicking on windows logo and clicking on shutdown and would not shut down properly , but I left click on mouse and click on power icon and shutdown option and it worked so I'll try this option a few times and see how it goes cheers for the input guys .........lol