1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Power

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Nickefer, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Nickefer

Nickefer Member

i was j/w is it better to always keep a laptop plugged in or just plug it in to recharge it, or does it really matter?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You could technically argue that it's better for the battery to discharge it and recharge it, but Lithium Ion batteries are almost completely unaffected by that these days, and some laptops run slower or with reduced features on battery power, whether you like it or not.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Keep it plugged in, at the very least you will get a brighter screen.

4. Nickefer

Nickefer Member

yeah i know it runs slower and reduced off battery power, i was jw cuz ive heard too that a laptop always on ac power will put more wear on your computer...which too me kinda sounds dumb cuz a pc is always on ac...whats so different??

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It shoudnt put more wear on your PC, but honestly even if it does will you really be using this computer long enought for it to completely crap out on you. Two to three years down the line and you will probably have a new one.

6. Nickefer

Nickefer Member

exactly! well thanks this makes me feel better cuz my laptop is plugged in the majority of the time and i was just wondering if it was actaully bad for it.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Older batteries, if they were being charged constantly (i.e if a laptop is plugged into the mains) used to get shorter and shorter amounts off each charge, but now they don't seem too bad at it.

8. Nickefer

Nickefer Member

yeah i was just wondering cuz my laptop stays plugged in almost all the time, i rarely take it off charge except when i go to school or have to take it somewhere, and its a new laptop too i just got it in may