1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by themusic, Mar 9, 2005.

1. themusic

themusic Member

i was trying to plug the power pack into my laptop last night but because it was dark i missed the power hole and it knocked the usb port and it switched itself off and started smoking, i left it over night and now it turns on but when it gets to the windows log in screen it stays black and a blue screen appears with white writing but i dont have chance to read it because it only appears for a second. it works fine in safe mode.

anyone know what the problem could be?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

drivers are not loaded in safe mode so the problem is which driver it is. try an external monitor or do a repair option when reloading xp ontop of self

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The blue screen of death hits XP. Try this. Boot from your Windows XP CD. When its all loded up hit R on the first screen. This will take you to a DOS looking thing but it is not DOS. You might be asked wich windows to log into and its password. Sometimes your are not. Once you get to a prompt type this "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. Now go out for awhile it will take some time to complete. average time 1 hour. That usually fixes boot up blue screens.

Im guessing the message you cant read says something like mount unstackable or error loading ntfs even invalid boot device. Chkdsk /r fixes all those.

Good luck
    -Del

4. themusic

themusic Member

i didnt get the xp disk with the laptop its pre installed i just got a back up toshiba dvd, to roll back to factory settings.

iv tried doing this btw with no joy

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Try this then. You ll need 6 floppy disks. go here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994 . Scroll on down and get the set for your setup. You should be able to follow my earlier instructions but instead boot off the floppy disks. If this fails then pray you have a warranty.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  6. themusic

themusic Member

my laptop dont have a floppy drive :(

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

themusic

It seems that you are about to either purchase an external floppy disk drive to try the disk suggestion or a much simpler way would be to borrow someone’s Windows XP CD to use. You are running out of options. If you have the original Toshiba disk, then you also should have the original Windows XP Key codes somewhere in the original Laptop packaging, (if you don't then call Toshiba!) Once you re-install Windows XP and it doesn't accept the code you have, you will be prompted to call Microsoft and explain what happened. They will give you a new key code to enter.

Unless you have a magic wand, these seem to be your only choices.

8. themusic

themusic Member

thanks everyone, i downloaded windows xp on a friends computer and its fixed everything. can i get caught for using a pirate copy of xp? like does it have a check feature or anything.

also does anyone know what the problem could have been that caused my laptop to stop working

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

themusic

The reg code on Windows XP will be picked up by "Uncle Bill" when you need updates, etc. Actually Retail copies should have been picked up already, asking you to Activate Windows. Is this a Student copy of Windows that you are using?

10. themusic

themusic Member

to be honest i dont know. i got it off torrentreactor, its windows xp pro. i had the standard version pre installed when i got my laptop but they didnt have that available to download.

the download came with a key that worked.

i dont notice any difference between my old version and the pro version.

i just dont want to get screwed by anyone because i didnt download the pro version to be greedy and steal i would have got the basic version if it was there but it wasnt.

the only problem is i dont seem to have any sound coming out of my speakers.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You'll need the original drivers for your laptop to get some features, sound card, back the way they were.

12. themusic

themusic Member

iv been into device manager and the items with a yellow question mark are

video controller
    SM bus controller
    PCI modem
    multimedia audio controller

but it doesnt give me much more description wise, e.g brand etc.

13. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Even if they pick up on a illegal cd key you won't have any visit from the copyright police. Would cost them far more to prosecute than they would get from you. If you where a business then thats a different story. Regardless, for moral reasons you should keep it all legal. That way the ones who programed it can get paid. Is up to you though. XP Pro has many more networking features but if you dont ever use them you won't notice a difference from Home. Now go to HP website and have fun finding your drivers.

To rid of those yellow questionton marks you need the drivers. Go to HP and look up you notebook. There you should find a place to download its drivers.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The drivers you need are in there. Let windows search for them while that cd is in your drive.

15. themusic

themusic Member

no they wernt on the dvd, on the dvd were just a few files like setup.exe no drivers or anything.

isnt there any way i can find out what driver i need?

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

themusic

Either go to the website of Toshiba and lookup your Laptop model, then try downloads or support on their site for the needed drivers. They will have them there, but, if that DVD/CD disk is in fact an actual “restore disk,” then it must have the drivers on it otherwise it could not restore back to normal. Have you tried having the disk in your laptop at boot up and letting Windows search through that disk automatically when it finds the hardware that isn't properly installed? It might work that way for you also and is worth a shot.

17. themusic

themusic Member

yeah ill try that.

i tried the toshiba website before posting on here they have drivers for everything apart from the sound driver :( iv emailed them so i hope they might get back to me.