1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Problems Part II...!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rottingkd, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

Hi I have a problem, my laptop doesn't want to turn ON? well it does but it shuts down seconds after it goes on. the battery light blinks red even when charging, and after hours of charge,it still wont work, I have two of these computers so I know is not the battery 'cos when the battery
    is placed on the other laptop the % it reads on both batteries is 95% so its not the battery packs.

Please Help, I need it BAD.

Compaq Evo N1000c
    Microsoft W XP Pro
    service pack 2
    inter (R) Pentium (R)4
    Mobile CPU 1.70GHz
    1.20 GHz, 768 MB of RAM.

2. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

Bump!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I will assume this system works whiled plugged in according to how you posted. Even though you get a 95% reading does not mean the batteries are not bad. There is more than voltage to a battery. It may fully charge and not have the power to handle the mA draw when exposed to system hunger. This would in turn cause the battery to fail even though Windows says it is good. I assume this is a Lithium Ion battery. Those dont last forever.

Highly doubt this but if it is NiCD then it makes perfect sense if you dont completly drain the battery before you charge it and about a year has gone by. NIcD form a "Memory" of how long it thinks it should be charged. use for 10 minutes then charge (keeping that cycle for a long time) will eventualy cause the battery to only last 10 min on a full charge. This only applies to NiCD.

Best bet, and also unlikley, Find someone with the same system and pop thier battery into your system to see if it resolves the issue. If it does then Ebay is your friend. If it does not then you may just have to learn to live with it until you can afford a new system. You can always buy a new battery but there is always the chance it wont fix you and your stuck with a battery.

Overal I think it is the battery.

-Del

4. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

Thanks Mr. Dell for your reply! :)

But my system doesn't work even with the notebook plug straight to a power source... my wife and I have similar evo's so I used her battery ( her's goes on for close to 2 1/2 hours ) so I know is not that, I thought it was my Bios battery but after I disassembled my pc to change the battery I could not find one so Im all out of ideas. This laptop was hardly used since I have a desktop thats my primary, but know I will be needing one for work!!! and my wife useses hers.
    Problem: when I press the power botton, it starts then after a few seconds it just dies. Thanks

5. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The issue I worked on did not apply to this topic. keep or discard. your choice.

-Del

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  7. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

I tought it might be my Hard Drive, so I switch that one with my wifes.. the hard drive works fine... What I noticed this time was that I guess its not sending enough power to my HD thats the one that i hear the drive start spinning but then it stops and the pc turns oFF! can that be the problem? I went to compaqs website and looked at the battery board and thought That maybe is this one??? http://www.laptopking.com/kingpartdetails.asp?ref=1313&category=boards

could it be this>? Thank.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I think it's the battery board. The hard drive turning off is a result of the entire laptop turning off.

9. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

Thanks Sam! I guess I'll give it a shot, and buy a battery board. :) but if anybody have any other Ideas please let me know ?

Thanks

10. rottingkd

rottingkd Member

Ok, got the battery board, and just like magic.... it Did the same.lol...so, any Ideas? could it be the board? Thanks.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, does the red light only mean battery life? If it suggests any kind of hardware fault, then there could be a problem with something further inside.