1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop shutting down after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by bryanoens, May 24, 2007.

1. bryanoens

bryanoens Member

I have a Dell Latitude D500 laptop computer with xp pro and have been having some problems with it as of lately. After about 1 minute after it boots up, it automatically turns itself off. I assumed it could be the fan and maybe it was getting to hot but the fan doesnt even turn on, and plus it is not on long enough for it to get overheated. Then I thought it could possibly be the battery so I removed the battery and had it running on the adapter but still had the same problem. I got on the phone with Dell support and of course the computer started workiing normally.

I did run a complete system diagnostic on it and all tests passed with flying colors. After an hour or two, I figured the laptop was fine and it was nothing. I tried to use it today and it is now shutting down again after about a minute of use. Its not even on long enough to reformat the computer or go through the BIOS (although I have looked in the BIOS and things look good)

I can only think its the Battery (which I doubt) the cooling fan (which I hardly doubt) or there could be a short on the motherboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Bryan

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

i think it is over heating. you said the fans didnt turn on. 1 minute is long enough to over heat the computer. the processoer heats up 15x faster than a stove.

3. bryanoens

bryanoens Member

Would there be a way to test if it was overheating. I have seen people talking about looking in their BIOS and finding a temperature gauge but I have not ever seen one. Also, the computer does not get hot at all on the bottom or sides. Could there still be overheating even if the computer outside is cold?

4. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

dell has very basic bios so they wouldnt have temp info in them, so im not sure how you would test unless you ran a temp program on your computer before it turns off. and it could still overheat without the outside getting hot.