1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop VGA to HD TV HDMI Possible?!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JimmyChoo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Hey Guys, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a VGA output, and was wondering if it was possible for me to stream some 720p rips from here to my 42"LG HD TV? Aaaaaaaany possible connectors? Thanks in advance!

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea they make converters but, those can become really expensive. Reason be is the fact that your converting an analog signal to a digital signal. Just use s-video if you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  3. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Could you perhaps explain more about them, and provide links? I was told getting a VGA to DVI cable, and then from there a DVI to HDMI would be ok?

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

5. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

My TV has VGA and HDMI and S-video, thanks.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Why don't you just go VGA to VGA and use the speakers on the laptop for sound? Would be cheaper then buying the converter.

7. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

So I Cant just do VGA to VGA and transmit sound as well as audio?

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

VGA to VGA will just give you video, no sound. If you want sound just use the speakers on your laptop, that is if they sound decent. I'm not sure if there is a connection that will let you go VGA to DVI and then DVI to HDMI. I'll look more into this or maybe someone else here could help out on that question.

Update: Could you please hook your laptop up to your tv via the VGA cable and stream something to it and tell me if you can see the video on the tv, thanx!

9. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

10. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

BTW new tv comes tomorrow!

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

If that is a female end on that DVI to HDMI cable it might work, I dunno. I'd do a little more research before I bought any of that stuff. What's the new tv? Were you able to hookup your laptop to your tv via the VGA cable?

12. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

EmMMMm. I'll tell you when I get the TV how the VGA linkage goes, and then I'll see if the VGA DVi HDMI thang works.

13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Right on, good luck!

14. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Dudeee I got the TV (Very nice!) and I connected my VGA to RGB cable to it, the one that has the Red green and blue connectors and I connected it to both my tv and Laptop. So, the Laptop detects my tv, I then connect it, but I cant seem to find it on my tv ?? Help! =(

15. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

You might need to go into your display properties and change a few things. Right click on your desktop and select "properties", then from the display properties menu, select "settings". You should see two boxes, 1 and 2, click the box numbered 2 and then check the box on the display properties that says "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor".

That should take care of the problem. All you will need to do now is drag your media player or whatever you're using onto your tv screen.

16. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Ok thanks will try! Get back to you in the next hour.

17. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

No luck! I'm usinga VGA to RGB. What is going wrong?

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Do you have your tv on the correct input? Your tv might say Component1, Component2, etc. in the menu, look for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  19. JimmyChoo

JimmyChoo Member

Hey, out of boredom yesterday I connected my Laptop and my tv using the vga cable I use for redundant desktop and HALLELUJAH it works! Now Im not sure how this is possible but when I stream 720p rips to my HD tv I can reaaally tell the difference between streaming regular rips. Its amazing

20. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

lol, why didn't you just use that to begin with?