1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

large dvd backups

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by presb2k, Jul 7, 2007.

1. presb2k

presb2k Member

Using the dvdshrink and img burn is a great method if you can manage to hardly compress using tips in the guide, but what about a a movie like blood diamond whose file is still over 7g after trimming? All of the guides give directions to convert dvd-9s or multiple movies/files onto a single disc, but what if i just want to split the large file to 2 discs? More specifically, using free software. I apoligize in advance if i have overlooked this guide or previously discussed forum topic.

2. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Welcome Presb2k,

If you want to avoid the large compression video loss by splitting the large file sized movie between 2 single layer discs, I would suggest a program called VobBlanker. It is free and will do exactly what you want to accomplish. I use it all the time with excellent results. If you need a copy of it, go to my profile page and click on the link for VobBlanker -- Dvd Editing Software. I also list a guide for VobBlanker on my page. Try it, you'll love it. Post back if you want info on splitting episodic dvd's or movies between 2 or more discs with VobBlanker while keeping all menus intact and in working order.

3. 321obbig

321obbig Member

If you already use shrink and know how to use it then you can also split a large movie onto 2 single layer disks with it.

Here is a video tutorial for shrink, it has a lot of other information in it but it does show you how to split a large movie onto 2 disks.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/23/811805/tutorials/dvd_shrink.zip

Remember this was made for somebody else so you will have to sift through the info to get what you need.

Good luck

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

5. 321obbig

321obbig Member

That guide don't show you how to split a movie in half with dvdshrink so i done this one, i hope it's easy enough to follow as i don't explain very well.

Splitting a large movie onto 2 disks with Dvdshrink.

[​IMG]

1 load the movie into shrink in re-author mode and select the start/end frame edit.

2 Slide the end frame slider to the left until it is halfway through the movie, then click ok.

[​IMG]

And now just select backup and do whatever you normally do to back it up, but when it's finished do not shut down shrink, you have now backed up the first half of the movie.

[​IMG]

3 now go back into the start/end frame editor again.

4 slide the start frame slider to the left, it will only go as far as the end frame slider.

5 now slide the end frame slider all the way to the right (end of movie) now click ok and then backup the way you usually do with shrink.

You have now backed up the second half of the movie.

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  6. orion250

orion250 Regular member

The only problem with splitting a movie between 2 SL discs using Shrink in Re-author mode is you will not have working menus nor will you be able to navigate through the movie with menus like the original movie. If you're not interested in having menus, then the Shrink way is decent. If you want menus, then VobBlanker is the way to go as you will have ALL menus intact and in working order like the original. You can't split in Full Disc Backup mode.

VobBlanker
    http://www.videohelp.com/~jsoto/vobblanker.htm

VobBlanker guide
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VobBlanker

7. presb2k

presb2k Member

Success. Thanks Orion, VobBlanker is certainly not the prettiest or has the most conventional processes, but it does the job justt fine once you get past a few weird quirks. I was confused at first with the guide but it made sense once i started messing with the program a little bit. Thanks all for the quick responses.

8. 321obbig

321obbig Member

I'm glad you got it sorted, vobBlanker is pretty easy to use.

But when i read the original post i assumed you wanted to use shrink and have movie only on 2 disks.

Quote.
    but what if i just want to split the large file to 2 discs?

Go figure.