1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large User Profile in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by discoboy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. discoboy

discoboy Member

The User Profiles sheet (from System Properties) shows the three user profiles and the guest profile I have on my Windows XP Home computer.

I am the main (and heavy) user and the size is 425MB. My wife is an infrequent user but her size is 1.65GB. What does this size mean?

I have reduced her IE settings to 50MB and 7 days. System Restore is down to 5% and the Recycle Bin is at 10%.

2. Alopex

Alopex Member

Has your wife (or yourself) installed more software on the PC whilst on her user account than you have on yours? Just a shot in the dark but that may be contirbuting to it.

3. discoboy

discoboy Member

I doubt it very much she is an infrequent user. Are the installations kept in the Application Data folder?

4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

it could be the files she keeps on her desktop.

5. discoboy

discoboy Member

Well neither of us have much more than 3 or 4 shortcuts. I am interested to find out what is causing this - all suggestions welcome.

On a related point, when switching from another user to mine (all are already logged in and have active programs) I often have to login twice. The first takes so long that just as the desktop and active programs are displayed it goes back to the screen saver and then the login screen and I have to login again. Any idea why this would be so?

6. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

well, to stop if from going to the log-in screen after it goes to the screen saver:

right click desktop
    select properties
    go to the screen saver tab
    deselect "on resume password protect"

7. discoboy

discoboy Member

But I want that option selected.

The problem I have is that for some reason my (re-)login is taking so long that the screen saver kicks in. What would be causing this? I have 1GB of ram on an Intel D820 chip.

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

9. discoboy

discoboy Member

I downloaded and ran Advanced WindowsCare 2 and it highlighted a number of errors which I gave the go ahead to tidy up. I rebooted and all seemed OK until I re-visited this site and found all the formatting has gone. The background is blue and the text is black. There is html everywhere. This is also happening for another (bank) site that I regularly visit. This doesn't affect IE. I have reinstalled Firefox but to no avail.
    Any idea what went wrong?