1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser to DivX

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ec121k, Dec 30, 2001.

1. ec121k

ec121k Member

I have a number of laserdiscs I would like to
    put in DivX format.I need a walk thru on how
    to do it-required programs,files etc.Yeah I'm
    newbie at this and I need all the help I can Get-Thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

On hardware end, you need these:

-GOOD QUALITY capture card for your PC (**it, you have almost-excellent quality videos and you probably don't want to lose quality because of this)
    -LD player that doesn't send out MacroVision _OR_ capture card (or card's drivers) that don't care about MacroVision copy protection (it's the crap that all the VHS tapes/DVDs/LDs you rent or buy have and why you can't copy them easily to other VHS player without tricks)
    -nice, decent amount of free HDD space (gigabytes..) :)

Then you need to just capture the video using some good capture software like AVI_IO -- we have guide for this one in here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/musicvideo_guide_part_1_capture.cfm

...after this you need to use VirtualDub and DivX 4.xx codec in order to modify the video (delace, inverse telecine, possible cropping, etc) and finally encode it (use 2-pass encoding). Some instructions -- these don't work 1:1 for you, because they are related to DVDs and aspect ratio stuff, etc doesn't apply -- can be found from our DVD2DivX guide:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

3. ec121k

ec121k Member

I downloaded avi but it will not work-if I select capture,it tells my select video format
    but the video format in grayed out.I am running
    win2000,256 memory and a ATI allinwonder128pro
    card

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ok, didn't totally understand what you were saying.. I assume you tried to capture the LD movie using your ATI card? And the result was b/w picture?

Try to switch between NTSC and PAL and see if this helps. If not, then you probably have Macrovision problem or you are using wrong kind of cable to bring the video in to your card from LD.

5. ec121k

ec121k Member

Thanks for help.The problem was with the ATI
    video capture driver.I have another question,
    if I save the laserdisk using the ATI card,it will save as a mpeg2 file,is there any way that I can edit and transfer to either vcd or divx
    format?If I can,what will I need to do?
    Thanks