1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitors: contrast ratio versus response time

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jasoncb, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jasoncb

jasoncb Member

hi.

i'm looking to buy a 19" LCD monitor for my cpu. i'm using it strictly as a digital audio workstation (recording and producing music).

so, no games, no graphics-intensive applications.

my priorities are a good-looking display that won't irritate my eyes after using if for hours on end.

i've found two different BenQ models that are both within my budget:

the BenQ T903 ($429.99 at Futureshop Canada), and the BenQFP951 ($447 at Staples Canada).

the main difference between the two is the T903 has a 16 ms response time but 450 contrast ration while the FP931 has a 25 ms response time but with a higher 700:1 contrast ration.

so, basically they're the same price and one has a faster response time but much lower contrast; the other sacrifices response time for high contrast.

for audio production, would the high contrast be better? or does response time matter?

does the response time affect how easy it is to view the monitor and avoid eye strain?

thank you kindly for the advice.

Jason

p.s. i'm open to other brands and models in that price range ( $450-550 Canadian dollars).

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It doesn't matter what other people's opinion is. They may like the looks of what they see on the monitor, but it may not necessarily be your taste.

The best thing to do is view both monitors at a store, if at all possible. You can make your decision, then.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

let your eyes make the decision but if not gaming, don't need the fast response time