1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD picture keeps going black

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by zamboknee, May 2, 2007.

1. zamboknee

zamboknee Member

I'm at my wit's end on this one. I hope this is the right forum.
    I have a JVC LCD TV, 23 inches. It keeps dropping the picture. I'll be watching it and it keeps going to a black picture. There's a slight dark blue hue after it drops.
    The audio is still there.
    I tried switching connection types. Went from an S-Video to a RCA and that didn't help. Another forum suggested I upgrade to Directv HD to get a stronger signal but I don't think that's very feasible.
    Please help!
    Thanks

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

I guess you have a DVD player. Try to use that to play movie, if it does the same thing, than the TV will need some major fixing by a repair shop.
    If it play fine than your TV signal converter or whatever box you use to get TV may have a problem.

3. zamboknee

zamboknee Member

I changed the aspect setting on the TV from 'cinema' (takes up the entire screen) to 'regular' (more of a 4 to 3 aspect ratio) and it hasn't done it yet.
    Does that mean that the Directv receiver doesn't put out enough signal to support the wider aspect screen?

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

I doubt it is a signal. If the signal is too week it would play neither. I would still check it with DVD. Most of them are 16:9 ratio, if it play, than the receiver is a culprit if not than your TV control box has a problem.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@zamboknee...I don't use direct TV but I know that, with cable boxes, a lot of people overlook the fact that it also has a display menu which determins how the pic signal is sent to the TV. You may have the TV set one way, but if the cable box isn't set the same way, then there is a problem because no matter how the TV is set, it can only work with the signal it receives.

Do you DVD's play o.k.? Also, I will ask one of our more knowledgable members on this subject to take a look at your question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

To help you I would have you consider these questions.

I don't really understand the problem. Is your TV 4:3 or 16:9 (wide-screen).

What source do you have, Cable or Satellite? Either way you should be using S-Video or better if possible cables. You should be using Component Video or better with your DVD player (especially if it is a progressive scan DVD player).

It sounds like its your cables? How old are your connections? Did they come with the gear or are they store bought, ect...?

-Ceddie Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007