1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD video requirments

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, May 26, 2005.

  1. hogan

    hogan Regular member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Messages:
    269
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    26
    My old CRT is on its last legs, I've had for about 7 years. I want to get a LCD to replace it, because of my small desk space. Is there a minimum requirements from a video card. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE card (64 megs of ram I think). I'm not much of a gamer, just general use computing. Is this card OK. I'm looking at a NEC aslcd51v-bk black 15" lcd at newegg.
    Any advice on a monitor and requirements would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Hogan
     
  2. ddp

    ddp Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2004
    Messages:
    39,211
    Likes Received:
    147
    Trophy Points:
    143
    as long as monitor has the standard vga 15 pin connector you should be alright with lcd
     
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  3. Xian

    Xian Regular member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2003
    Messages:
    954
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    26
    A LCD monitor operates best in it's native resolution. It can display other resolutions but has to stretch them and scale to fit. That means the graphics might look a little stretched or squashed and text might not be as clear if you try to run anything but the native resolution. Probably that would be 1024x768 for a 15". That would be the only requirement other than the physical cabling requirements that ddp already mentioned.

    The problem I have seen switching to an LCD mostly affects gamers with an old video card. They run Doom 3 or another high requirement game at 800x600 ok, but when they switch to a 19" LCD monitor with a 1600x1280 or even 1280x1024 native resolution the older card isn't powerful enough to display that resolution at an acceptable frame rate.
     
  4. hogan

    hogan Regular member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2004
    Messages:
    269
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    26
    Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I don't play any games so I shouldn't have any problems. Native res is 1024x768.


     
    Last edited: May 27, 2005

Share This Page