1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning DVDtoSVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by plasmannc, Feb 21, 2003.

1. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

Over the last week I have been learning about the process of converting a DVD to SVCD. As might be expected I have run into some issues. Fortunatly this forum and guides have been very helpful in resolving them.

I do have on problem that I hope someone can offer an explanation for.

I have been trying to convert an older DVD (pre-encryption) to SVCD as a test case. It rips fine and seems to go through the various DVDtoSVCD phases okay until it hits encoding. I have been using CCE 2.50. At about the 2% point the encoding freezes each time.( this is during the encoding of what appears to be a very large file)

I checked various forums about CCE freezing and tried many of the suggestions offered to no success. I then tried to use TMPGenc for the encoder. While taking a long time the process completed. The output however was terrible. If you can imagine the screen as being made up of vertical lines every other line was missing.

So I tried to use a different DVD. This is a more recent film. Using the same approach and cce 2.5 everything went fine. So was the first DVD a bad rip? The vob's on my HD seemed to play fine. I did notice one thing however which is the primary question after all of the above.

In DVDtoSVCD on the conversion tab you can preview the films frames after hitting the go button. When ever I did this with the initial DVD the frame was somewhat distorted and also had the missing vertical line appearance. When I check using the second DVD the picture again might have been somewhat distorted but otherwise was normal looking.

In smart ripper I use the default settings, no deinterlacing. Is it possible I need to set something else? Should the preview picture I described look like it does? If not what do I need to correct it? I know CCE can be flaky, can this be the cause of the problem of freezing?

I hope all of the above makes sense to those who read this.

Thanks for any ideas or comments

2. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

Did you use dvd2svcd to do the actual rip, maybe its worth trying smartripper or dvd decryptor to do the rip then uncheck activate ripping in the dvdrip tab and load the ifo file from the conversion tab in file mode from the directory you ripped the vob files too

3. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

I should have stated almost all the rips were done with smart ripper on both DVD's. I did try the DVDtoSVCD internal ripping routine on the first DVD I tried but got the same result with cce freezing and with the preview picture as previously described.

4. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

ony other option i can think of is to try tmpgenc to encode. I know its slower ant the quality isnt so as good as cce but maybe it will work, also cce 2.50 can be buggy with windows xp but i dont think this is the problem

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member