1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving no gaps in an audio cd

Discussion in 'Audio' started by allin, Apr 6, 2003.

1. allin

allin Regular member

I have 11 mp3s from a concert and I want to burn them onto cdr. The trouble is I want them to have no 2 second gap between songs because I want to give it that concert feel. Im using nero burning rom. What method do I use to achieve this?

2. minix

minix Member

You can't do it correctly with Nero.
    Nero can't burn tracks with length not multiple of a CD-Audio sector (588 samples) and perfect 0 pauses: it will cut the end of the music to make the track multiple of a CD sector, like all tracks in a CD should be.

MP3 files usually have a very small silence at the start and end, so you have to delete that silence manually.
    I'd recommend Feurio!
    Drag and drop the MP3 files in a project and set the pauses to "Do not insert pauses between track - round track marker" in the Settings of the project.
    Open the Track Editor and use menu "Action" -> "Set start or end position" to select the point of start or end of track with the help of zoom.

There are more issues with MP3 files and continuous play as you can read in Feurio messages:
    "This is caused by the MP3-format:
    The mp3-format is a kind of compression with some loss of data, i.e. not the whole samples are stored, but - expressed in a simple way - some kind of "frequency curves", i.e. the mp3-encoder analyses a certain range of data and then stores the "frequency curves" for this range.
    If now e.g. a live recording is stored in parts - one part in the first file, the following part in the second file - and compressed to the mp3-format, the encoding process is resetted for the second file - so the frequence curves (the end of the first file and the beginning of the second) don't match exactly.
    In addition most mp3-files are "frame orientated", i.e. the encoder sometimes adds empty samples to the end of a file to get a whole frame at the end.

To put it together: Unfortunately it is not possible to always reconstruct the original data 100%-ly out of two mp3-files, that contain parts of continuous data.
    If you want to work with continouos data, you must save all tracks into ONE mp3-file or use the wave-format."

Anyway, with the method I described, the results are usually good enough to not distinguish any problem between tracks, and it's much faster than using a more powerful audio editor. (The Feurio editor is non destructive, so your files will not be modified).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2003