1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"LED DLP" or plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spald, May 13, 2008.

1. spald

spald Member

I'm looking at buying either a Samsung LED DLP 50"
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8793246&type=product&id=1205537514032
    or a Samsung plasma 50"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102148
    The plasma is about $500 more and the space it'll save isn't a problem because it'll be in a corner anyways.

I'm wanting to know if the LED DLPs are about on par with plasma's quality. I'm looking to watch HD cable and use it for PS3 and blu-ray viewing. The cons I know of each are the DLP's poor angel viewing and the plasma's burnin (although I'm not sure how bad either really are). Any help from anyone who knows about these two options please help.

PS. The DLP is LED based so I know replacement won't be a problem for more years than I'll probably have it and the color wheel won't be an issue.

Edit: Also, Samsung is a good (or at least decent enough) TV brand right? All I really know them from is computer parts.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I'd go with the LED DLP. Picture quality IMO is really good. Viewing angle was never an issue for me. When your watching a movie, do you plan on sitting at the side? Probably not, so go with the LED DLP.

Or

Wait a couple more months and get Mitsubishi's new LaserVue lineup. Picture quality blows top end Pioneer Kuros away. The price tag shouldn't be as hefty either. Release date is suppose to be some time this summer.

www.believingisseeing.tv

**update**

Is space an issue? Is that the reason you chose the 50" DLP? If not, I beleive I've seen somewhere online that has the Samsung 61" Slim LED DLP for 1300.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  3. spald

spald Member

Thanks. I'll look into that laser technology. I've heard that its coming out around Christmas though, but I'll double check.

The problem I'm afraid of is that the TV will be in a corner so it'll be viewed by a slight angle no matter what; though then again...I'm not sure how bad it is.

As for size, I'm thinking around 50" is about right, both for a good fit in the house and so it doesn't make SD television any worse than it'll already be.

Edit: Just checked and the laservue is expected at some time in Q3 2008 and then only is a 65" size. Too far to make me think about waiting, but it makes me wonder about getting a smaller TV that I can put in another room for when it does come out.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I've found that the LED DLP's don't have nearly as much problems with viewing angle as people say. So I wouldn't worry about it that much. Go into the store and test it out just to be sure.

Yea, they come out in Q3 and will only sell 65" and up.

5. spald

spald Member

I wish I could test them out in the store first. Unfortunately no retail stores have them in stock around me. The only option for LED based DLPs is for store delivery.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

So what do you think you are going to get?

7. spald

spald Member

I guess now I'm leaning towards the 50" LED DLP. I move into the house in June, so I still have some time to look at the market (although that Samsung is $700 off right now so I may have to decide soon).

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Like I said, I'd go with the Sammy. You can't beat that price man! And you will get excellent picture quality.

9. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Samsung all the way..