1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left Shift shuts down computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fuel_f2f, Aug 31, 2007.

1. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

ok.. I tipped a cup of cold offee onto my keyboard by accident. So €I took it apart, and cleaned it up and put it back together. It worked perfectly. But now, about 2 weeks later, I'm having some really weird problems relating to my keyboard.

#1: If I press the left shift key for any reason my computer shuts down. It doesn't crash, it shuts down as if I went to start > turn off computer > shut down.

#2: Sometimes when I use my right shift key, it makes a symbol appear, but still makes the cap letter after... I'll press it a few times to get it to happen. € € € € € happens every 2-3 times I use the right shift, and sometimes won't stop until I press another key...

I have no idea what is causing this... and why now. I don't really think its related to the coffee spill but added that info just incase it might have some fault for this problem...

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Have you tried a different keyboard to see if that happens with it?

3. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

I don't have another keyboard around to try =/

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

I'd say it's definitely the keyboard, and you need a new one. But just to test that it's not a software error, go to start>all programs>accessories>accessibility and open the on-screen keyboard. Click the shifts (with your mouse obviously) and see what happens, if it doesn't shut down then the coffee you spilled in it has probably made some sort of short circuit that activates when you press left shift which makes it think you have, or are continually pressing alt+f4 or something, or maybe you have a shut down button on your keyboard which is being activated by a short circuit.

5. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

on screen keyboard works fine, nothing shuts down... €It's weird tho, cause its been working fine for 2 weeks or more after €I cleaned it up... I figured if anything was wrong, it would have shown up in the first day or so after the spill... gotta get another new keyboard I guess... shitty

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Come on a keyboard is like 5 bucks lol. Hopefully your old keyboard was not like a 60 dollar one.

7. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

yea but this will be the 4th keyboard in like 2 months... and I have a hard time finding one thats comfortable to me. I have nerve dysfunction in my right arm, comfort is a big requirement...

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You REALLY need to keep that stuff away from your keyboard lol.

9. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

2 were just old and crapped out... 1 my gf spilled milk... and I'm always getting mad about people having drinks around the computer... and I do this... oi...

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sometimes I eat at my computer lol. My mother gets very mad about that.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The main problem i get is dust, dead skin and horrible things get under my keyboard, and unlike most keyboards, you can't take the eclipse 2 apart without breaking it (or at least it's too difficult for me!) so I just have to shake it and do the best I can, might get some compressed air.

Bottom line is, if you spilt something on your keyboard, and now using it causes problems, I think you damaged your keyboard, it'd be a pretty amazing coincidence if the problem was something else. Replacement keyboards are dirt cheap anyway.