1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Lenovo y50-70 GPU No longer working

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by vegeta999, Mar 14, 2016.

1. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Hey guys !

Gosh I havn't posted here in like 10 years... feels weird, but anyway, I have a Lenovo y50 touch Laptop with the following Specs:
    Intel Core i7 - 4720HQ
    Intel HD 4600
    Nvidia GTX860m 2GB (Maxwell)
    8GB RAM @ 1333MHz
    1TB SSHD
    Windows 10

So my problem is that a while ago, i put my computer to sleep after playing an hour of Metal Gear solid V and once i took it off sleep, the screen had all sorts of different distorted colors, and after a while, the screen totally failed. Then, after replacing the screen, what happened i realized that I would always get a BSOD error on startup : DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Went into Bios, switched to intel GPU, everything started fine. Reset the Laptop to factory settings, and downloaded all drivers, downloaded the most stable Nvidia drivers at the time. Re enabled the Nvidia GTX GPU in bios, then tried installing the graphics card and it always crashed with the same error mentioned above. Installed Windows 10, same error Does my GPU have cracked solders? Do you think I can Reflow the GPU with a heat gun for 3 mins @ 220 degrees 'C ? Haven't tried it yet, unless someone else has an ideas ? - Btw Laptop is out of Waranty.
    P.S Gaming with the Intel HD 4600 is pretty depressing.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yup.. and a reflow unless there is liquid damage is a complete waste of time.. as it's an nvidia manufacturing problem, not the little solder balls.. the substrate of the gpu is actually coming apart.. heat treatment may fix it.. for a couple of weeks.. IF you can find a gfx card using the same chip then replacement is possible.. but again.. the substrate comes apart from constant heat cycling so chances are even a replacement will fail in short order..

the lesson here is .. don't use laptops for very graphics intensive gaming.. they overheat and die quickly