1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leopard question...

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by scarlet84, Apr 20, 2007.

1. scarlet84

scarlet84 Member

I've been using a PC since forever but my current laptop is on it's last legs and I was thinking about getting a Macbook.

I was having a look around the Apple site and liked the look of Leopard. At the time it was slated for released in Spring 2007 so I was just going to wait for the new OS before I bought. Checked out the site today and it now says the release date is October and I think I'm going to need a new computer way before then.

My problem now is to stick with the tried and true PC or to just go for Tiger. Since I know next to nothing about Mac's I thought I'd get some advice first.

If I get a Mac just now, will I be able to install Leopard when it's released?

The main things I use the computer for are: the internet, photoshop, video editing and the like. Which is better for that stuff - PC or Mac?

2. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

Tiger will be fine for you, and Mac is better at video editing and the like. Plus you can always upgrade to leopard later on.

3. Kulith

Kulith Guest

PC's can do anything. Macbooks can do a few things and not as good as pc's. There is more than enough amazing video editing/photoshop software for pc's, and more of a variety, and more better. And youll be surprised how many things arent compatible with macbooks.

Buy a macbook, and guaranteed you will be missing the power of pc's in a few weeks (assuming it doesnt break by then).

4. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

well i would never get a macbook for video editing. The macbook pro should be fine.

5. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Believe it or not, the Macbook pro displays video and image more realistic than on a PC, so it is a great investment for video and image editing. As you know Mac can run photoshop, has the most famous video editing software FINAL STUDIO (the guys in Lord of the rings used FNAL STUDIO for making the entire movie), can play any kind of movie files, music files (reason is there r tons of FREE software for mac that let u play these files), can EXTRACT movies, and burn them FREE (by using mactheripper and handbrake). Has the best PHP HTML software there is (everyone knows this) it's called Bluefish. Has the best chat program ADIUM. There are just too many, Microsoft Office X. So yes for productivity it is not as endless as windows but it IS 10x times more quality than windows app and will guarantee you to finish your work in a shorter amount of time than on a Windows.
    The Macbook Pro (not the regular macbook) can virtually do anything except playing hardcore intensive graphic PC monopolized game, like Half life 2 n something like that. So if you are going to switch to a mac, u will b missing out TONS TONS of great games.

6. scarlet84

scarlet84 Member

Cools, thanks. I don't really use my computer for playing games, so that shouldn't be a problem.

7. icyhandlz

icyhandlz Member

And as far as anything not being compatible with a mac, the macbook are capable of running xp and osx, so if it really came down to it you can have both on one machine, if you choose the macbook. If i had the money and was in the market for the laptop, the macbook would be my choice, if not the macbook pro, but if gaming is a main concern, you really shouldnt be getting a laptop of any kind. Good luck with your decision. If you want buy a macbook, and ill trade ya my laptop :)

8. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

And now that EA and ID Soft have come out a said that they will make games for mac we might see some games worth playing on the mac