1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by jellab, Feb 3, 2008.

1. jellab

jellab Member

HI
    I am not really up on this software downloading but here goes.
    I need some help if anyone can assist.
    I have a
    iBook G4
    CPU Speed: 1.07 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 256 MB
    I purchased a new Classic I-pod not knowing that it wouldn't be recognised by my computer. I purchased the software Leopard as instructed by apple.com
    when I inserted the disk into the CD drive you can just here it grinding and grinding.
    I saw on this that I need a dvd drive for this software which I don't have.
    Help please I don't want to have to purchase anything more.
    Thanks so much in advance

2. czidarich

czidarich Member

I dont think you really have any other option but to spend money. The tech specs for what leopard will run on can be found here: http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/techspecs/ From the specs of your computer it appears you will not be able to run leopard. You may be able to try upgrading the memory to 512MB, however if you manage to get leopard to run it will probobly perform extremely slow. You will also need a dvd drive. Might be time for a trip to the apple store. Sorry buddy

3. varnull

varnull Guest

As somebody who doesn't believe in saying "never" when it comes to commercial lockin and exploitation I went and had a look around and found http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6435896
    Which seems to be rather close to your problem.. Can't see the point in spending many £100's just to use a MP4 player.... Try some of that software instead, or scrape yourself together an old linux pc.

It should be possible to mount the ipod as a drive anyway.. mac syntax is very close to standard unix...

It's a usb connection.. am I right?? Then the ipod is formatted fat32 so to mount it you will need to run from a terminal

mount /dev/sda(something.. probably sda1.. plug a small usb drive in and see where it's mounted) -t vfat /media/ipod (you may need to make that location too).. then it's just like any other usb drive.

I haven't seen a mac in over 10 years, but these guys have..

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-38412.html

4. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

This is appalling. Don't install Leopard ! And never ask Apple Support for any advice.

Apple offers, in my opinion, the finest hardware & software (with brilliant innovations); but it suffers from moving this quickly, and its legal department appears run by Cruella Deville. You should be able to easily fix everything, and get money back in the process.

You have two free choices. There's an arcane way of reading your computer's specs from Apple's support site, but I just use the 'Mactracker' application instead. It says your computer was likely made in early 2004 and has a DVD reader (though my 2003 G3 did as well, but it died years ago). More importantly it supports Firewire & USB 2.0.

1. The best option is to keep the operating system you have (10.2 or 10.3) and exchange your Classic iPod for a different model that will run on your OS. The list is at the bottom of this page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60971

You should never have been sold one that you can't use!

2. If you're running 10.2, you might want to upgrade.

Your computer can probably run 10.4, preferably an early release, (but never 10.5, whose minimal specs it doesn't even satisfy).* Note that the latest release, 10.4.11 is huge but virtual memory works much better than on earlier releases, so 10.4.11 might run, if you keep much of the hard disk free, for paging. (Look, I have 10.4 on my iBook G3, and versions prior to 10.4.10 ran just fine.)

If you upgrade to 10.4 (which does require a DVD reader or a very knurdish friend), you can run a Classic iPod. Note that you can only charge it and use it as a backup disk with the Firewire cable: the USB 2.0 cable will sync it with all your music on iTunes.

So, you can fix your DVD reader (which likely needs only a free firmware or software update), return 10.5, and buy 10.4 used. However, before buying a DVD, consult these people:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=752

Apple confounds users by offering 10.4 on various 'kinds' of DVDs, and do their best to prevent your installing an older operating system. Once you know exactly what to buy (which will likely be a black disc in a black box), a friend may have an old one, or a reliable eBay dealer should offer it for about $30.

Remember though, only 'upgrade' to obtain those features you need. Further upgrades will both slow your system, and (with 10.4) cause you to lose many of Unix's best features. (You might be able to re-install those you would want - such as a text list of all words in Webster's 2d ed. - from a free Unix archive, but this process is a bit knurdish**.)

So, if you're running 10.2 or 10.3, why not settle for a smaller iPod and avoid the hassle?

Why did Apple sell you Leopard? Always remember, Apple sells hardware. Either reason should get you a refund for returning an OS you can never use, and another when exchanging an iPod you can never use.

Always remember, Apple sells hardware. They want you to buy the latest. If the store hassles you, tell them you don't understand and shall have the Better Business Bureau sort it out; if this doesn't soften their response, tell them you don't understand and will have Steve Jobs sort it out. (The Devil doesn't always wear Prada.)

When you get your iPod, it should come with a driver that 'Software Update' will automatically patch. If not, you can download one from the Apple site.

Don't settle on being a victim!

Gneiss1, PhD
    Retired Supercomputer Consultant

*The iBook G4 is notorious for its heat problem. Repeated cycling on & off crystallizes & hardens the solder joints, so even adding memory chips at this date risks breaking one.

**Drunk spelled backward: from Dr Seuss, when at Dartmouth, where students were either drunks or knurds.

5. jellab

jellab Member

6. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Steve Jobs didn't intimidate them? Wow! I'm currently answering you on an iBook G3 with 256MB of real memory & only 4 GB free disk space, running Tiger 10.4.11. (These are 1000x the resources of my 3B1, which rapidly runs all of AT&T's Unix System V.)

There are many mail-away shops that will install Tiger for a modest fee. People should be dumping wonderful Macs every time its OS changes version, if you need a bigger one and (you need the equivalent of a G4 to burn DVDs).

This isn't an answer, which someone else can give you, just a pointer to an answer. Sorry you can't use a Mac, or use Linux. I would ask a knowledgeable friend who runs iTunes on her XP, but her PC is in the shop having three unidentifiable trojan horses & other malware removed.

Though people aren't told this, they are supposed to work as you are: first you specify what you need (then want) your computer to do for you. Then you find the best software for this, then the best accessories that run the software, then the best operating system that runs both, then the best computer that runs all. So, I admire your proper sequence of decisions.

A link in my earlier post will tell you that your PC needs only a USB port (make it 2.0, for 1.1 is just too slow), and, though the IEEE wants you to be able to use it as a hard drive with Firewire almost transparently, all sorts of complicated & expensive applications for Windows might be needed for that. In any case, it states all you need is Vista or an earlier MS 'OS' with a huge 'band-aid'.

Things can always go wrong, however, (sometimes purposefully with MS); so it's always wise ask those who did what you want:

Apple Discussions on running iTunes on Windows
    http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=150

You, I assume, want iTunes. They'll know the specs needed for that (though I'm sure Vista runs it).

PS. If you're in the USA, Walmart sells a Linux machine for $300 or so. You might consider that as a home machine, if the laptop doesn't work. (I'm guessing it will run iTunes & it has a pair of USB 2.0 ports.) I know it runs OpenOffice.org & many other free, professional applications. Their formats are generally compatible with Microsoft's. Apple also sells the Mac Mini. Though Linux & MacOSX can generally share data & even applications :), Linux & MS can generally not. :-(.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  7. jellab

jellab Member

HI
    Thanks for the info but I am sorry as I am not fully up to date on computers I didn't understand half of it. I live in Ireland now so it would cost a lot more to purchase these things in Ireland compared to the US. I feel that at the moment giving the cost the best option for me is to buy the new computer. I do love using apple and I fully intend to buy the new laptop that is out later in the year. But for now the toshiba will have to do.
    Thanks Again.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

For what it is worth .. a junkheap pentium3 machine will run xp for a grand total of about £20.

I think this classic ipod situation is another "pay up or stuff you" from the big business empire that is apple.. They have always treated their customers like this, which is why I haven't used one in over 10 years.

When an OS is taking more system resources than any of the applications running on it something has gone badly wrong.. after all, an os is no more than a file manager, command structure and a set of shared libraries.. why the 512mb just to get that up?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  9. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Varnull speaks for me.

My granddaughter wasn't welcomed on her mother's PowerBook, so I collected an old Compaq laptop discarded by a student, used her mother's machine to download Debian Linux to a CD & install it, then installed an OOUI (object-oriented user interface: the desktop of the future) & industrial-grade security.

It won't (to my knowledge) run iTunes, but it plays all the PBS & NickJr television network games my granddaughter wants, along with 10,000 other applications. A decade from now she can download their source code, should she want to learn to program.

Total cost: USD$ 0.00. But, of course, her school papers won't dance across the screen.

10. jellab

jellab Member

11. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

OK: Yes. But, don't take my word for it.

Your link failed, but all you need to know is the model number and operating system provided. The short answer: yes, if it runs Vista & has an USB 2.0 socket.

You should really find someone who has done this before, probably on the Apple Discussions above. Every pairing of different things can have glitches. But look around a little yourself.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

Check your model's specs and then see whether iTunes and iPod classic will run.

According to this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60971

You want Vista, for though your iPod may work on XP, iTunes may not. Next, if you have a 64 bit processor (check the specs above), you need Apple iTunes 7.6 or above (iTunes 7.5 is for a 32 bit processor):

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/29621

That's all. If you have questions about gibberish (and I apologize for that), try typing it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

So, Yes! (Probably.)