1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black (2) Do You Have A Bitch ? Put On Your Rubbers And Wade In.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Pop_smith ... my doctor told me that it works the same way that an antidepressant which is why antidepressants such as Wellbutrin work fairly well with the withdrawal; it helps compensate by keeping certain brain chemistry at an increased level that the cigarettes provided. I'm sure that's a simplistic explanation for the layman though. I quit just over a year ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Indeed :)

Congrats on being smoke-free for 1+ years. I would bet it feels great.

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Coming up on 5 months since I quit smoking...the first three months were easy, but now I've started having one or two when I play golf or BS'ing with the boys at work. All in all I've probably smoked less than a half a pack in the last five months which would still be pretty damned good in my book...congrats again gerry, I hope to make it as long as you buddy, as long as I can have one once in a blue moon to keep me sane.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I quit smoking about 20 years ago. I went the cold turkey route. Slowly limiting the numbers would have taken forever. I was a chain smoker and went through 2 to 3 packs of Marlboro's a day. Luckily they didn't cost so much back then. I had a quit smoking party and tried to smoke enough cigarettes to make me sick. The first year or so I did like LOCOENG and had a cigarette with a drink or while shooting the bull with my friends. I noticed that made me start wanting cigarettes more, so I stopped completely. I would still like to have a cigarette occasionally, but I know better than to start back. I doubt I'd quit again.

The addiction wasn't as hard to break as the habit. I learned that smokers associate the habit with a lot of activities. In fact just about everything one can do. Get up in the morning, have a cig. Go to the bathroom, have a cig while on the thrown. Coffee, cig. After a meal, cig. Drive the car, cig. Have a beer, cig. Talk on the phone, cig. I think you get the idea. I worked much harder breaking the habit and the associations than I had to with the nicotine addiction.

Nowadays the savings alone is a big incentive. For younger people (oldsters too) wellness should be a strong issue. Anyone that's ever been involved in athletics and then started smoking can tell the difference. Those who are active and quit smoking realize how much easier it is to breath. I wish I'd never started. But back in the day we did a lot of things we shouldn't have. I still do, but I try to keep it down to things that don't effect my health. LOL

I wish anyone quitting the smoking habit the best of luck. You're doing yourself one of those favors that will last you a lifetime (and probably lengthen it).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

never touched one in my life glad i never started even gave up the pop several years ago and I'm working out 3 times a week(benching 250 LBS.) so at mid life I'm in really good shape.

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Id say i have about 3 a week maybe, tops.

Thats purely just because i enjoy it.

But before i get addicted im gonna just stop. End of these summer holidays.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never had one, never will. Sugar and caffeine are my vices.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Loco ... congratulation guy! Temptations may come but you're over the hump. I quit 14 months ago. I did cheat once in February I think but you know, I refused to hold it against myself and get bummed out; that serves no practical purpose. It happened and that's all there is to it. Despite the one time, I've still done extremely well and will continue to do so. I have no temptations whatsoever. The one and only thing that brings on the urge is if I have an exceptionally nasty day which is actually rare. It's not a matter of stress with me; it's a matter of anger. If I get really pissed (which is rare with me because, like my dad, I'm pretty use to not letting things bother me, but on those rare occasions is the only time the urge hits because I get in one of those "Who The Hell Cares" frame of mind. Knowing that's what made me slip that once, I was quite careful whenever that frame of mind came up again.

MY BITCH: All next week I will be at some Penn State campus out in the boonies somewhere. I'll be spending eight hours a day (trying) to listen to hour after hour, day after day of legal changes and revisions of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. It's like I get lobotomized in a half hour. Given the choice, I'd rather visit Garmoon for a root canal LOL!

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

My Bitch Du Jour,
    I'm stuck in Dial-Up Hell, moving them mother in law into her new house and setting up the computer, watching the windows updates come streaking in at a blistering rate of 46 Kbps.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol ah yes, the wonderful world of dialup.. :-(

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@BlivetNC ... I went through that when I moved last year. It really sucked after being spoilt with broadband.

@Billyboy ...
    I'm sure that's why we all smoked. Once you're used to it, it does become pleasurable and a good stress reliever. I started smoking when I was sixteen or seventeen (methinks). I was really pissed at my mother for something and when she looked out the window, I deliberately lit up just to piss her off more. Well, I really showed her, didn't I LOL!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol you sound no better than any of the teenagers we've been moaning about!

13. billybob

billybob Regular member

hehe. Its my summer holiday, i can do what i want after 4 years of hefty work to get my gcse's. Well, lets hope so, august the 23rd comes my results!! Ill post um here when they come.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And then come the A levels!

Sorry for that depressing thought, but I'm not going to lie to you and say it gets easier, far from it. However, you do get a lot more freedom the further you progress through the academic system, indeed come university, I'd say a little too much.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Teenagers from the latter part of the last century weren't too different from today. We had all the peer pressure situations. There was a drug problem. In fact maybe more so than some schools today. I remember smelling pot in the bathrooms. It got so bad some of the staff had to be "poop" checkers. (One of my friend's brother died from an OD.) We were allowed out on the grounds during break. A lot of the students that smoked were allowed to do so outside. Upper classmen were allowed to smoke in the student lounge. Outside though, it was harder for the teachers to know what was being smoked. Some of the students took the opportunity to toke a joint. Wild parties were the norm. Smoking was something all the in crowd did. Things don't seem to have changed too much.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They haven't at my university anyway! :D

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Thanks a lot gerry!

Yall don't have dial-ups? Is cable fast? Yeah Boudreaux holds one tin can and Thibodeaux holds the other one and I tap into their string for aol. Mi Sha!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Garmoon ... just kidding, my friend :)

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure that could be arranged if you have druthers...Gary?

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'm sure I could find a nice rusty, dull, special #10 gauge needle for gerry. Sure to take his mind off his back pain. Huh Loco. OUCH!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.