Lets Paint The Kettle Black (2) Do You Have A Bitch ? Put On Your Rubbers And Wade In.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ugh, sounds like hell. Hope you get through it gerry!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gerry, you should have told them to put it on cd or dvd as we are supposedly a paperless society.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@sammoris...oh, I'll make it through alright. A the moment, we're in training for the new state website which is massive; it contains just about everything: people collecting unemployment compensation, employers and tax numbers, welfare, training schools approved for funds along with their approved curriculums, criminal histories and it goes on and on. In occasions such as this, my neck and back problems and a blessing in disguise; I can't sit in one place for long periods of time so it gives me the opportunity to get out, walk around etc. while everyone else has to stay put.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol nice one! Well not nice one, but... you know.

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Ah the comment on our "paperless workplace" I heard that during the 80's and several old timers had to laugh, turns out they were right, as we become more modernized we seem to require much more paper, including the infamous memo advising people to check their E-mail at least once a day (only inter agency, no civilian acces at that time) because the server could only handle so many messages at once...Yet everything at that time was also circulated via hard copy and also via weekly recap booklets. Ah the beavers we starved 20 years ago.
    @Gerry, what no bitchin' about the food? They always fed us well when we went offsite for additional training, made it bearable to sit and listen to the mindless droning all day. Do they still hire montones for the most boring parts?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@BlivetNC...you're certainly right about the paperless workplace. At the office, we got our first computers; we only did something once on hardcopy and then one need only photocopy. We were told, as you mentioned, that this would would dramatically decrease the paperwork; it made it much worse. We must have had ten new databases since I started at the office and they say the same thing every time. Now, we have to do everything in hardcopy and put the same information into three different databases.

As for the foor, it is surprisingly good! Certainly, we're not talking about gourmet cuisine but as cafeteria food goes, it's surprisingly good.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Gerry, look at it this way, at least you're not in the office dealing with the circus sideshow you see daily.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@garmoon ... well, you're certainly right there! This may well be boring as hell, but it's a nice change from the daily routine. You know, I joke a lot about the stranger parts of my job but there are some really decent and rewarding elements to it also. My job is to approve/disapprove requests for government funds to return people to the taxbase as quickly as possible. For example, it's not unusual to have a secretary come in for an augmentation of skills; he/she has been working at the same company for twenty years, types 120 wpm on an old IBM Selectmatic clunker, does payrole and a host of other office management responsibilities but who has never touched a computer; such a person is at the bottom of the employability list but with the right training, this person can go from the bottom of the list to the top with just some basic augmentation of skills. Unfortunately, they only make up about one third of the people I see; the other two thirds are (some) of the people I joke about. They think that education/training is the answer to their problems when, in fact, you could train them 'till the cows come home and they'll still never be able to get a job. Well, back to class!

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You should have mowed the grass for your mother. :wink: You would have been more careful about getting the lawnmower out of the back yard.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Pop_Smith

GrandpaBW is excellent in his advise about mowing the grass. How is it that you don't have that job?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Indeed, I wish I would have mowed it this time. :-(

I usually am the one that mows the lawn, except from what I can tell she mowed it after I went to work as it didn't have the scratch the night before my dad took the car to the dealership and I was at work so I couldn't even be forced to mow it. It looked fine to me and I thought about maybe mowing it the next day and its usually my job so I didn't think my mom would try and do it.

@sammorris, I think I will order myself that shirt soon. :p

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe, there are loads of funny shirts like that one about.

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

/me is back.

Howdy all.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Howdy, how was your break?

16. billybob

billybob Regular member

hey ripper.!

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Argh! A new bitch.

I have some cool mp4 video files from my friends mobile phone, a nokia n95, and they dont want to convert!! To anything!

They just dont! i cant add them to windows movie maker, i cant convert them to .avi, i cant convert them to 3gp!

Whatever program i use, it just doesnt seem to support the files, even when one specifically states that it supports mp4's. I drop it into the space on the program, and it says that the format is not recognised! But its mp4 for god sake!

Help me :(

18. ireland

ireland Active member

I NEVER TRIED THIS BILLYBOB GIVE IT A SHOT...

P/S SEE WHEN I AM NOT AROUND YE MEMBERS DO NOT GET THE GOOD STUFF...

MediaCoder 0.6.0.3840
    Author: Yi-Chun Huang
    Date: 2007-08-08
    Size: 17.6 Mb
    License: Freeware (GPL)
    Requires: 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/2003

MediaCoder is a free universal audio/video batch transcoder, putting together lots of excellent audio/video codecs and tools from the open source community into an all-in-one solution, capable of transcoding among different audio/video formats with many extra features.

Typical applications:
    - Improving compression / reducing file size
    - Converting from lossless/high-bitrate audio to low-bitrate audio to play with portable DAP
    - Converting to device (mobile phone, PDA, MP4 player, PSP, VCD/DVD player)
    - Extracting audio tracks from video clips
    - Ripping CD/VCD/DVD

Supported source formats:
    - Audio: MP3, OGG/Vorbis, AAC, MusePack, WMA, RealAudio, FLAC, WavPack, APE/APL, WAV
    - Video: AVI (Xvid/DivX/H.264), MPEG1/2/4, QuickTime (mov), WMV/ASF, RealMedia (rmvb), MP4, Matroska (mkv)
    CUE Sheets, CD, VCD, DVD

Supported target audio formats:
    - Lossy: MP3, OGG/Vorbis, AAC, AAC+/Parametric Stereo, MusePack, WMA
    - Lossless: FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio (APE), WMA Lossless, WAV

Supported target video formats:
    - H.264, Xvid, DivX 4/5, MPEG1/2/4, H.263 etc.

Supported target container formats:
    - AVI, MPEG, Matroska, MP4, PMP (PSP Media Player Format)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/MediaCoder_d4987.html

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

CodecInstaller 2.6.0
    Author: JockerSoft
    Date: 2007-08-09
    Size: 687 Kb
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win All

CodecInstaller is an application that detects which Audio&Video codecs are installed on your computer and suggests you to install the ones necessary to correctly view the movie it is distributed with:
    in fact it's designed to be burned on a CD together with a compressed video, to be always able to play them.

The users who receive the CD, with a single tool with a simple and intuitive interface, can check if the necessary codecs are already installed and up-to-date and with just a click can install the ones required.

Limitations: Requires .Net framework installed.

LINK TO DOWNLOAD
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4925.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@billybob i have that same cell phone. i have some video on it right now later tonight i will try and convert it and see what happens and let ya know..

20. billybob

billybob Regular member

Its my friends cell phone, i wish i had that, but all the same, yes please that would be great lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.