1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black (2) Do You Have A Bitch ? Put On Your Rubbers And Wade In.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Even in the home of the pasty, they have the specialty items. Not all are beef and some have different vegetables. A thin pot pie or turnover is similar to the pasty. I've been eating those since childhood. Seems a lot of nationalities have their own version of the oggy.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Pop_Smith
    Pushrods when worn or bent will make an engine rattle and can cause a misfire. Those are the rods that run from the lifters riding on the camshaft to the rocker arms on the heads that open and close the valves. Unless they come loose and fly through the valve cover, the miss and rattle is most of the problem. It doesn't necessarily call for an engine replacement. The repairs can often be done with the engine remaining in the car. I'm not sure about your model. However, if it took a new camshaft, lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms, it would still be less expensive to repair than replace. It being as new as it is (new to you anyway) they may go ahead and replace the car with another. Normally a valve train problem doesn't destroy an engine unless something comes loose and damages the engine block.

Connecting rods go to the pistons and crankshaft. Unless the engine throws a rod, the engine is still repairable. As long as the bearings don't spin, it depends on the cause of the problem how extensive the repairs are.

Try not to rev the engine high or do so abruptly until everything is checked out.

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Good advice Pop_Smith!! If you mentioned your car's make and model I forgot but PacMan is correct on the "take it easy" on your car right now. :)

I use to have a 1969 VW Beetle and there was nothing to replacing a head, some "push rods", and the valves if need be. My step-dad was a pretty good "shade tree" mechanic so we did some repairs like that to some of my cars thru the years. :) I remember the VW because we were doing some "custom" work on the motor and we took the whole motor out to work on it. REALLY easy on a Baja Bug. :p Well anyway I had the engine propped up on a jack and wheeled it over to the bench. "Dad" wasn't handy so I just grabbed the engine by both sides and set it on the bench. LOL. He came out to the garage and asked how I did it. hehehe. I told him and that point he said if we had any differences (which we never really did...he's a great man!!!) he wouldn't fight fair!!!!! LOL. Sorry long story but brought back a few "very cherished" memories. ;D

Pop_Smith continued good luck with the "new" car.... :D

....gm

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

mmmmm, first thing tomorrow after work, i buy a pastie. A cornish one. As in the beef.

mmmmmmm
    Nice n hot.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

I like the second one billyboob. :p

Again I complain that I can't get something like that here!!! :D I'm trying to stay on topic but you guys posting FOOD isn't fair. :p

.....gm

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

gm, that is the whole idea!!!!

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Thanks my friends :) My car is an A6 with a 3-liter V6 (non-turbo) so I am not sure what its problem is. Based on the noise I would have first thought "Turbo"? but it doesn't have one so thats obviously not the problem. :p

@PacMan777, thats good to hear that if it is the pushrods need replaced that would mean that they could just replace those instead of the whole engine. Hopefully its something like that that would mean I get to keep the car with "minor" repairs done to it.

I have been real careful not rev the engine too much, more for reasons of saving gas then as to not disturb the engine as I didn't know it was having problems. I have been real careful ever since I found out about the problem its having, other then the one time when I nearly got ran over by a semi. :p

Thanks for the advice. =D

EDIT:
    Thanks buddy! :) Yeah hopefully it will be ok, I really don't want to get rid of it as I consider myself "Lucky" to have found it when I was looking for a car like that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Those things look like what we call meat pies. And they are heavenly when stuffed with a good crawfish mixture with the holy trinity.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Pop
    I'm thinking your Audi has overhead cams. No pushrods. If you're hearing a rattling or slight knocking sound in the upper part of the engine, it may be only something worn or loose in the valvetrain. It's hard to diagnose problems without hearing them and can even be difficult sometimes with the car at hand. Good luck and lets just hope it's a loose rocker arm.

GM
    I had one of those old VWs. The thing was murder trying to keep the valves adjusted. Even replacing the lock nuts wouldn't keep the adjustments set for very long. Fun little cars though. The engines were larger looking due to those tin coverings for the air cooling. They were just little flat 4 air cooled engines. Looking at a BMW flat cycle engine would give a person a good idea what the engine really looked like. Working on a VW back in the day was more like working on a motorcycle than the liquid cooled engines of the day. Enough reminiscing though, if I'd had the money at the time, I would have paid someone else to work on it. LOL

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

greensman, watch what you say in that other thread in that lightning storms & golfers don't mix to well as is usually deadly for the golfer.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'm a little lost. :) Did I say something offensive or are you just chiming in with the fun? Your humor is quite dry sometimes so I must confess I don't know "which" ddp made said quote. :D

PM if necessary. :)

...gm

12. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Yeah, hopefully its not anything "major". Thanks for giving me some ideas of what it might be. I will let you all know when I figure out officially whats up with it. Her appointment is for August 7th in the morning so I will let you all know whats going on when I take her to the "doctor".

Peace

13. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Okay; I've lain low for a while here on AD, but I need to get something off of my chest.

If someone is asking for help; please don't just give them a link to Google and tell them their answers are solved. I'm sure that in most cases, Google is how they got here in the first place. If you find yourself ever doing this, please either don't respond or take time to respond right.

Btw: @Pop_Smith:
    Good luck with all future car problems. (I guess the one's you're having now too.]
    [​IMG]
    [EDIT: I fixed stuff... Enough said.]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  14. Alopex

Alopex Member

If they can use Google well enough to find the site then they can use Google well enough to answer their question. 99% of the time, with those sort of questions that command a "Google It" repsonce, are indeed answerable via Google.

I should imagine after you've been here for a while, seen countless idiots come and go and answered the same question thousands of times, that telling someone to "Google It" really makes your day. I could be wrong though.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  15. onya

onya Guest

@Alopex
    Are you saying Newbies SHOULD know how to search? well I can only agree with you to a point. As A Newbie My-self, there are times when it takes just more than once to make a point.

Spoonfeeding is one thing and Encouragement is another. :)

16. little155

little155 Regular member

Some people can read and comprehend what is said and some can't. I happen to be lucky and can comprehend what is said. I read a lot and don't say much. I give info when I know something. I can google and find info in other threads, others can't, give them the benefit of the doubt.

17. onya

onya Guest

@little155

It could be that I have offended you somehow.

You have my appologies.

All the best.

18. little155

little155 Regular member

@onya, You didn't offend me. I thought I would offend others for what I said and I hope this is not the case. I will give an answer if I know something, even if it has been repeated over and over. That was all I was saying.

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Alopex ... I don't think our paths have crossed before so I just wanted to say welcome to afterdawn! Lots of nice people and knowledgable people here to provide a wealth of information and lots of people to help too which is, in largest part, the purpose of such forums. Some of the newbs that come along are jerks, but not most of them. Sometimes, googling something but, as has often happened to me, it's difficult to even understand the information. Sometimes people need step by step instructions. When we lose sight of this, a forum, in my opinion, loses a good part of its usefullness. I see this often in the Receivers and Amplifiers forum. I often post links but most often they're links to easy to understand reviews or explanations of things.

@Pop_Smith: you've really lucked out actually. Buying something that proves to have problems is frustrating to be sure but at least you've got someone who seems to have a sense of responsibility which is rare; all those "used car salesmen" jokes sure have a basis in fact.

My bitch involves doctors and their damned pills. He was practically insistant that I take pills for low blood pressure. Like my mom, I've had it for as long as I can remember but, like her, it only affects me first thing in the morning when I wake when my blood pressure is just slightly better than a corpse LOL! After an hour or so, I'm fine. Taking pills for something that doesn't bother me seems kind of dumb! I swear these doctors get kickbacks from the drug companies! (Actually, he's a great doctor, spends time with you and is very thorough so I'm lucky.) He worked for one of these association but left because he felt he was merely working on a "piece work" production line. Imagine finding one of those!

@Pop_Smith and Billyboy...how are the new jobs going? (Billyboy, I haven't forgotten your email about the careers thing; with the wierdness going on at work, its been hard to concentrate!)

20. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@gerry1,

On the car thing: Yeah, the guy really didn't have to do anything as it was bought "as-is" but he seems like a real nice guy and the problem my car is having is something that isn't gonna happen in the 100 miles I have driven it since I got it so he felt like he could maybe work something out depending on whats wrong with the car.

My day job, which isn't bad but I don't like it, is going ok. I have some "lateness" problems but its not too bad.

With Real Estate I haven't "started" yet as I have some training I am doing but I can officially conduct business if something comes along. =D

Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.