1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black (2) Do You Have A Bitch ? Put On Your Rubbers And Wade In.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Whats Voldemorte got to do with anything :p

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I like the fact that the e-mail notification isn't checked, because I don't care to have e-mail coming in from any site.

I can live with the sig box not being automatically being checked, if that is that is what they want.

I think that I have been leaning to the moderate since I passed 50 years old a number of years ago. :)

Actually, will be 58 on the 11th, so I feel that I am still a youngster.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Weird issues, more than likely the unwanted result of some forum updates. Obviously signature and subscribing to thread should be an automatic setting, and the time should work ;-) I'm sure it will be fixed soon though.

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

My bitch... MY stupid laptop battery caught on fire... It was the freakiest thing ever... I will post pics when it is returned to me by the fire department.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Domeris ... didn't you just buy it?

6. Dela

Lithium-ion batteries have been doing this a whole lot in recent years, you might have read an article on this site recently about a lithium-ion battery in an iPod Nano that started a fire in an Airport employee's pocket, Now that's a bad situation to be in, not only are you burning, but as soon as security see's smoke rising from you in an airport..... well...... yeh ;-)

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Just think of all the mental anguish and pain. LOL Sounds like a good lawsuit to me. Where's a shyster when you need one?

8. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

It happened to my MacBook third generation... I bought it about 3 month ago... My MacBook is toast along with everything that was around it... luckily I was home and was able to call 911 and get the fire out...

It was freaky... there were 6 large bursts about a minute after one another... I was told that that was each cell catching on fire...

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I would never sue apple... ON the other hand the battery was made by sony and I could care less about them! LOL! I will see how I am treated in the next few days...

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Wise to have called the fire department even tho you got it out yourself. They'll make excellent witnesses for the ambulance chaser.

11. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I called them immediately as I was running to the garage to get the extinguisher... I actually thought I had the fire out with the extinguisher right as it was running out of C02 and about a minute later the third 4th and 5th and 6th cells caught... The FD actually let the fire burn out because nothing else was catching...

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Pac...
    domeris...
    Domeris, you're going to wait to see a shyster? That has to be the most unamerican thing I've ever heard. Its just short of treason. You should be ashamed LOL!

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

My family and I are going to talk to Apples lawyers tomorrow... well see if we can settle outside of court...Isn't it time to change the American way??? LOL! OK FINE... Not possible!

I mean there was no damage to my house just A monitor cell phone and a desk... Apple has already said they will replace everything....

If they replace everything and give me a thousand bucks or so I will be happy...

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Domreis

You might need to do some research on what nasty by-products are given off when a lithium ion battery goes supernova! Your house may be hazardous to your health.

Edit:From first site I found,

http://www.engineeredpower.com/lithium_bat_info/safety_2.html

Emergency Procedures
    OSHA Safety Regulations must be followed, at all times, the OSHA regulatory references are found in 29 CFR PART 1910. In the unlikely event of violent battery behavior, the area should be evacuated immediately. Unless they are wearing personal protection devices, all workers should stay away from the area for at least 15 minutes rather than trying to correct the situation. Burning or fuming batteries should be left isolated until expert handling can correct the condition. Lithium fires should never be extinguished with equipment other than that which is designed for lithium fires (i.e. Class D).

15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

garmoon... Thanks for the heads up but my house was cleared by the fd... There were no toxic fumes released in the fire...

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Interesting verbage.

17. Dela

That's good to know, and it kind of sets me up for a bitch too...

There's an area in my home, the top of a stairway, and something just isn't right there. I have a computer near by and one day I got this weird... not exactly "burning", but a smell that made me think of electricity, almost like a dusty smell of heat if that makes sense.

I jumped top conclusions and immediately checked the PSU on that computer and monitored the heat and everything of it, just to find there was no issue with it. But this smell kept coming back, not a constant thing, but something that was happening every now and then. So, as you should, I took out all the light switches and electric sockets nearby and checked everything I could easily get to, but as far as I can tell, none of it was burning.

It's actually not that frequent, maybe only every few days but its annoying. I have asked a friend to come check it out, but he lives a bit out of town and is so busy he hasn't made it here to give the place a comprehensive check yet. In the meantime I have put a smoke alarm there, not necessary because of the smell, I have a few smoke alarms in my house and I thought it would be a wise place to have one.

So ye, you've guessed it, at least 4 times the smoke alarm has been set off for about a minute or so at a time, and each time, this mysterious smell is there, no obvious smoke or anything, but its something enough for the smoke alarm not to like it, which is weird because the smoke alarm is not all that sensitive.

So ye, not nearly as dramatic as a battery exploding in your home and getting the fire department to come out... but hey, it's something to bitch about none-the-less ;-)

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I got a smell like that for a while. Nothing burned. Finally the scanner died. I checked the power supply and no power. When I took the little PSU box off the power strip, there was a rattle and they're not supposed to. I cracked it open and some of the solder points on the small board had melted and the components had come lose. Also I got a good smell of burned electrical parts. I think the annoying smell and not knowing its origin was more of a pain than the $20 to replace the power supply. Hate to cut in on your bitch, but I just found the root to my problem.

19. Dela

Interesting. I am also probably overlooking something like that, it;'s just one of those things that gets on your brain and causes havok ;-)

20. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I had a similar problem with a dell PC... It actually turned out that it was the smell of burning lead... The lead sodar would randomly heat up and cool down... It is hard to tell it there is a problem but that is what dell concluded when I sent my PC in... It could be something different though...

Just my 2 cents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.