1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

People donate money to them to buy the ps3. Hes making good money off that because he definentley needs to profit.. They smash every system, the wii,xbox,xbox360,gamecube etc etc etc...

And yes Rippper that was me in the Pimp suit.

2. rav009

rav009 Active member

People donate money to watch some pathetic fool jack-hammer a PS3?? That gets my bitch for today.... ;-Z

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think that's absolutely awesome. good way to sort the fanboys from the logical people. in my opinion, anyone who feels a tug at the heart strings or whatever of seeing a guy performing honestly the actions he collected donations to do and is totally within his rights of doing so should seriously re-evalaute said fanboy's way of life.

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

exactley i praise them for that... I liked when they smashed the 360 too.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I had to laugh at this though...

Lmao!

I couldn't care less about the PS3, sony are b@st@rds ;-)

Also, tocool, where can I get a hat like that from? Very JK (Jamiroquai BTW = JK - wears funny hats all the time).

:D

6. ireland

ireland Active member

The Wii Disassembled
    Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday November 21, @06:32AM
    from the inside-on-the-outside dept.
    Wii (Games) Games
    mrmcgeeber writes "There are two ways to take apart the Wii. The first, as demonstrated by Popular Science, involves breaking the Wii open due to a lack of tools.

link
    http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/2526081bfbcfe010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

The second method is a more formal Wii disassembly guide, which is provided by InformIT.com.

link
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=677908&rl=1

Either way, you can see some detailed pictures of the internals of the Wii and how the parts are laid out. The InformIT.com version also includes an eight minute teardown video."

7. ireland

ireland Active member

Sony PlayStation 3: the Ars Technica review

By Ben Kuchera

Monday, November 20, 2006
    The monolith has landed

Sony PlayStation 3 60GB
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Price: $599 (shop for this item)

There it is, sitting in my entertainment center: the PlayStation 3. Getting my PS3 was surprisingly easy—no long preorder line—and when the system was released I arrived at 8:00am and picked it up. Simple. I wasn't shot at and there wasn't a lot of fuss. It sounds like I was one of the lucky ones.

It's just sitting there: a big black monolith with the little light blinking at me. When I took it out of the packaging, I wanted to start singing the theme from 2001.

This is what Sony has been hyping for the past two years, what is supposed to begin the high definition era, and what is intended to destroy the competition. This is the Trojan horse by which Sony hopes to get Blu-ray into as many homes as possible. The stakes are much higher than for a simple gaming system; this is a format war for the home theater of tomorrow. It is also the first time Sony has gotten serious about online play, and they're hoping you're going to want to buy a lot of content through their new system. Sony has a lot riding on the PS3... but you know that already.

Given the long lines, the campouts, and the $600 price tag, the PS3 has high expectations to live up to. The press hasn't exactly been kind to Ken Kuturagi's hyperbole and some of the design and strategy decisions they've made with the system, but consumers are still loyal to the Sony and PlayStation names. Microsoft is hoping Sony drops the ball, and Nintendo has decided the best way to win is to play a different game altogether; their low-cost system relies more on a unique control scheme than the laundry list of features that Sony is hoping will interest gamers.
    With all the words printed about it and all the hand-wringing from both sides, we finally get to play with it. So let's hook it up and go for a ride.

This is what you get when you mess with us

The system comes in the standard Sony-looking box, and the pack-ins leave a little to be desired. You get composite cables standard, which lets you hook the system up to an HDTV, but you'll be limited to 480i.

link for the total story
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ps3.ars

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I like his way of doing things. They (the Smashourstuff.com group) use other system Fanboys to get them to donate so they can smash a console.

I am sure a few Microsoft or Nintendo Fanboys donated decent amounts to see that PS3 smashed into pieces.

Same thing goes with the other consoles. One thing I do like though, is the fact that they smash all 3 consoles and not just one or two. That way it shows that even if they prefer one console over another they will smash it up anyway.

I think part of the reason they smash up the consoles is because they don't pay a dime (as far as I know) for the consoles because they ask for donations and I am sure that the donations cover at least 90% (Probably more like 110%+) of the cost of the console.

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Wow, ok just for the heck of it I went looking on eBay for the PS3. They have so many of them on there I bet you could get one for ten dollars.

I found one (looked for "highest price first") that was something like a million dollars with free worldwide shipping and the eBayer said that they would hand deliver it and dress up as Santa with a few elves tagging along. I mean, come on, it just shows how dumb people can be.

All the smart eBayers already had the consoles reserved and camped out at a store. One auction (I found one that went for something close to $10,000) included the "Premium" PS3 model with four controllers and I think three games. The crazy thing is the shipping cost (close to $50) wasn't even paid by him, it was paid by the buyer.

The reason this person was smart was that they had the auction end the day before the console came out and that way the eBayer was:

1. Paid for their hard work (and camping at the store)
    2. They knew exactly where to ship the PS3 with same day shipping incl. insurance (like $50).

Moral of this bitch:
    If your going to sell a pre-ordered console (or anything expensive) on eBay, list the auction and have it expire (with creditable proof) before the console actually comes out and you will then have an actual shot of getting 5-10x the actual cost of the item.

Peace,

Pop Smith

10. ireland

ireland Active member

Pop_Smith ,more on the story

Opinion: Payday - The $15,100 PlayStation 3

Aaron McKenna
    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/17/opinion_ps3_ebay_sales/
    November 17, 2006 12:07

Myself and Wolfgang Gruener have just sat, with our mouths agape, as a Playstation 3 bidding war on Ebay reached $10,001.00 a few minutes ago. We nearly fell off of our chairs when it went to $15,000 with mere seconds to go; and finally the winner of the hotly contested bidding war, which began at $1, was a user from the UK who bid $15,100 to become to proud new owner of a Playstation 3.

For the hundreds, if not thousands, of students and savvy businessmen who lined up - or paid others to line up - weeks before the PS3 went on sale in the US, today is payday. At the time of writing there are around 8200 PS3s on sale on Ebay alone; and heaven knows how many are being circulated by other means or have already been sold on.

This is simply amazing. At launch the Xbox 360, which suffered some shortages, got bidding of up to about $,000 on eBay. For the PS3 that's more the norm than the upper-limit exception. Guys and gals: It's a friggen games console, more units of which will be delivered between now and Christmas, and many more in the years to come. Is it really worth $15,000 or $10,000 or even $2000 to you to get a $600 product a few weeks or - God forbid - months before most everyone else?

there are more PS3's on the market you are going to suffer upwards of 96% depreciation on your product in about three to six months time - even more if you consider that flogging a second (or, should I say, third) hand item in six to twelve months time will net you less than $600. The world truly has gone mad...

Sorry, I just have to keep saying these things every two paragraphs to keep myself going cross-eyed at this. For $14,200 you could buy yourself a friggen car and the depreciation would be less over the next year. I certainly hope that nobody watches the ads on TV that tell us about how fifty quid out of our bank accounts can send a third world kid to school or save somebody's life; because if I had just dropped even $2000 for a silly games console I'd feel like hitting myself over the head with it.

Let's not forget the unfortunate Burbank Best Buy line waiters our Humphrey Cheung spoke to last week, either. One of them was going to buy his PS3 instead of getting his girlfriend an engagement ring. 'Till obsolescence do us part? Still, there is a console fanboy with money to burn born every minute, so kudos to the businessmen and students making (quite) a few fast ones today.

If you discover crazy people willing to pay for snakes oil then jack up the price I say, you'll probably attract some even richer ones. Ebay has been trying to stamp down on this little bit of market economics gone mad (low supply + high demand = inflated price), but I really think they should stay well-enough away, for a number of reasons.

The company has been trying to limit where and who can sell PS3s - so no US units can theoretically be sold on in the UK; and only "experienced" sellers can tout their PS3s. I think Ebay should take a step back from interfering in the purely capitalistic mechanisms which are swinging into play here. Ebay is a facilitator, not a moderator and so should let whatever fanboys, wherever they may be, drop as much money as they like on a PS3 from whichever swindlers want to sell it to them.

In doing so, Ebay will provide the world with two just services: One, it will allow sheer simpletons spend their money and earn their just rewards - a PS3, yes, and a hole in the bank account. Secondly, this PS3 launch will hopefully impress upon the minds of gamers and companies the next time we come to a console launch.

Hopefully things will be more ordered and civilized then for the experience of this jaw-dropping PS3 launch.

What I'd do with $15,000 spare change in my pocket? A hint: A PS3 wouldn't be one of them.

11. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

... but regardless of who paid the console..., what's the point they're trying to make???

back in the old days people did silly things in public but with a purpose in mind, a point to get accross, anyway... it was a good hammering.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

It is...

They are rich & british ;-)

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

exactly...it's demonstrating the freedoms they have. rights are slowly being stripped away as no one takes advantage of them.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that person has more money than brains!!

15. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Wow Ireland, nice find.

I can't believe that someone would pay $15,000 for a PS3. That, in my opinion, would be well worth standing in line for a week. I think next time the consoles (or something similar) comes out I am going to be one of those crazy nuts that camp out for one.

$15,000 - for all you math people out there that is exactly 2500% of the purchase price (excluding taxes etc.) of a premium-model PS3. I am sure that one included more then just the premium PS3 but whatever floats their boat (and sinks their wallet) goes I guess.

This reminds me of when Halo 2 came out. I was in line for two hours (yes, I will admit it) and got mine at about 1 am. My friend, who also had it reserved, went the same day after school (approx. 3 pm) walked in the Gamestop and out with his copy of Halo 2 in about 3 minutes without having to wait at all.

When he told me this it made me think, "Why the hell did I wait in line?"

Oh well, guess I learned my lesson.

Peace

Pop Smith

16. ireland

ireland Active member

Testing PS3 "Remote Play" on PSP
    Topic: Console Games

Dsc01450

Let me explain what you're seeing: that's the PSP, wirelessly connected to the PS3, displaying the PS3's Web browser, which is being controlled with the PSP's buttons. (You're also seeing lots of dust. Man, the PS3's just a goddamn magnet for the stuff.)

This is the much-touted Remote Play capability of PS3 in action, the convergence of Sony's two machines. They've talked this up quite a bit, but they haven't made it clear what, exactly, you can do. There are a lot of misconceptions -- some of which, a few hours ago, were held by me. So here's what you can and can't do with Remote Play.

You CAN:

...view your PS3's Cross Media Bar menu on your PSP. It looks exactly as it does on your TV, just scrunched down smaller -- small enough that you can barely read the text. Anything you do here is actually taking place on the PS3. You're just using your PSP as the controller, and the PSP's screen as the display.

...use movies, pictures, and music that you have stored on your PS3 hard drive or on any external device connected to PS3. So you can be watching a movie file on your PS3, then if your mom tells you to turn off the TV and go to bed, you can turn it off but keep watching on your PSP, under the covers with headphones.

I hope you kids get a lot of use out of that little tip because that's just about the only possible usage I can think of for Remote Play at this point. Because...

You CAN'T:

...use this over the internet. You're not logging into your PS3 remotely, it's all local connecting directly between your PS3. That means that you have to have the 60GB PS3 model -- the one with built-in wireless -- or an external wireless adapter for PS3 to make this happen.

...display PS3 games on PSP. So no playing Gundam on the small screen. Similarly, no watching DVDs or Blu-Ray.

...use the PS3 as a wireless access point for PSP. Which is kind of ridiculous, as this would be an actually useful application. I don't have a wireless router and Sony hasn't released any solution like Nintendo's USB Wi-Fi dongle. PS3 would be an excellent way for me to play online PSP games... but isn't.

...do this without upgrading your PSP system software to 3.00. Right now you can get it through the Network Update function, but it's not on Sony's official site for download yet. (It is, however, on hacker site PSP Updates.)

I think you also need 3.00 to download PS1 games through the PlayStation Store and run them on your PSP. But insofar as there are no games available on the Store yet, I can't exactly test this function. Sony's just trying to keep us all in suspense.
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/testing_ps3_rem.html

17. ireland

ireland Active member

18. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Here is something else I feel like complaining about for today:

I got a Wii reserved and got excited when I heard about the "Retro Downloads" that would allow me to download some old games (NES, SNES, N64, and GC) onto the Wii though the online service.

Well, I went in search just a few minutes ago on more info about this feature. Turns out my hopes have been (partially) crushed. I found a news article over at Computer and Video Games that claims Nintendo "confirmed" Nintendo 64 Retro Downloads will not have rumble support, even if you use a controller that has the rumble feature. I was hoping to be able to (finally) play StarFox 64 on my Wii with rumble.

I don't have a rumble pack because I bought my copy from a friend and the ones I found on eBay are close to $20 after shipping. :'(

Peace,

Pop Smith

19. ireland

ireland Active member

Pop_Smith
    MORE INFO ON YE LITTLE HANGING WILLEY

What Will Wii Controller Unlock?

By Clive Thompson| Also by this reporter
    02:00 AM Nov, 20, 2006

Ever since I got my Wii, I've been flailing. I've whipped around the sword in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, swung for the fences in Wii Sports' baseball, and nearly knocked over a lamp while lunging for the tennis ball.

I've had enough giddy fun that I'm now convinced of Nintendo's big sell line. The Wii will, indeed, wow the "casual" game crowd, creating a whole new audience for games.

But me, I'm a harder-core gamer, so I'm wondering something deeper: Will the Wii's new-skool controller create new styles of gameplay?

Because I don't see any yet. Much as I enjoy the existing Wii games, they're really just well-known game mechanics -- sports titles, swordplay games, first-person shooters -- that have been haptically reskinned to use the sensing input. All these forms of play existed long before the Wii. They may be more intuitive to play with the nunchucks, but as games, they're nothing you wouldn't have previously encountered.

Yet if you look at the history of controllers, the Wii ought to be the locus of much more radical innovation. That's because new forms of controllers exert a powerful influence on the design of play. Controllers are our meatspace interface into the ether -- they're our way of "being" inside the game world. So controllers, far more than increasingly way-kewl graphics, determine the range of style of games that get made. As controllers evolve, so does gameplay.

Want proof? Consider the impact of several epochal console controllers:

The Pong Wheel: The very first attempt at a commercial video game, SpaceWar, flopped because the button-and-lever controls were too complex for newbies. Pong's dead-simple paddle wheel was much easier to grasp, and boom: A zillion ball-bouncing copycats, including Breakout, were born.

Space Invaders' Buttons: Space Invaders' "fire" button transformed video games into a sci-fi shooting gallery. But because it only allowed side-to-side motion, it limited the "space game" to earthbound combat -- scuttling back and forth across the bottom of the screen. Games wouldn't break out of this paradigm until ...

The Atari 2600 Joystick: Presto: X-Y coordinate motion! By allowing you to roam in any direction, the joystick opened up the rest of the screen, and a flood of new types of play emerged -- including maze navigation with Pac-Man and side-scrolling shooters like Scramble. (Caveat: Atari didn't invent the joystick, but it did popularize it at home.)

Nintendo Entertainment System Gamepad: The more buttons you have, the larger an array of moves a game designer can easily put into a game. Though Nintendo's epochal gamepad had only a D-pad and two buttons, gamepads quickly evolved. Soon, the Sega Genesis offered a six-button pad that created a generation of mash-ariffic fighting games. Later, trigger and "shoulder" buttons paved the way for increasingly Byzantine button options in today's supercomplex titles.

The Computer Mouse and Keyboard: By letting you type in text and conduct precise aiming with a mouse, computer games sacrificed simplicity -- but gained sophistication. The result? Everything from complex, chat-based online games to the 3-D bloodbath of Quake and the elegant crack of Bejeweled..

The Nintendo 64 Analog Stick: By going analog, Nintendo created the most subtle controller movement yet. In Mario 64, you could run, walk or creep slowly -- and swivel around easily to marvel at the environment. Without the analog stick, 3-D worlds would never have taken off on consoles.

Story continued on Page 2 »

The Rumble Pack: Sure, the Rumble Pack was most often used as a gimmick: Hey, I just got shot! Cool! But it also brought "ambient information" to consoles. Games could use subtle rumbling to expand your senses -- letting you sense the approach of an enemy you couldn't yet see.

Sony's Dual Analog Stick Controller:The second analog stick allowed for two vectors of movement to fluidly intersect. Increasingly complex movements -- such as running around a corner while swiveling your gun in the opposite direction -- became easier. In response, game environments erupted in sophistication.

One-Offs: Want final proof that controllers define gameplay? Consider that the loopiest new games in recent years have generally required specialized input devices because they wouldn't have been possible using regular gamepads. I'm thinking of the drums of Donkey Kong Bongos, the dance pads of Dance Dance Revolution and the ultracool controller for Guitar Hero.

So what new heights will the Wii push us to? It's hard to say, because nobody has yet begun climbing. The most intriguing new forms of play for the Wii include titles like Trauma Center, a game ported from the Nintendo DS in which you perform surgery -- including, in a lovely use of the Wii's remote, a "forceps" that you wield by squeezing the top button and trigger at the same time.

But truthfully, one could imagine even newer and fresher gameplay concepts. I remember reading years ago about a game designer who wanted to have you cast spells by drawing patterns in the air with a wand. Slight deviations of your spell-shape would tweak or tweeze the magic in unpredictable ways -- injecting a nifty level of physical skill (and chaos) to the war-weary RPG. I'd kill to play a game like that on the Wii.

Nor should the Wii be the endpoint for controller innovation. If you really wanted to open up a can of strangeness, how about implanting galvanic-skin-response meters into the controller -- so that you have to control your level of stress and tension to manipulate the game? (Don't laugh: Experimental demos of this already exist!) Or how about putting GPS chips in our DSs and Sony PSPs, turning your physical location into part of a game?

Don't get me wrong: I genuinely love the Wii, and am thrilled that Nintendo has broken away from the pack on this one. But it'll take a lot of ingenuity on the part of game designers to unlock the system's true potential. The Wii used to be called the "Revolution." If we're lucky, we'll get one.

- - -
    Clive Thompson is a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine and a regular contributor to Wired and New York magazines. Look for more of Clive's observations on his blog, collision detection.
    http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72145-0.html?tw=rss.index

20. ireland

ireland Active member

a little warning,i just got the movie ICE AGE THE MELTDOWN today

IT TRYS TO INSTALL SOLFWARE ON YE COMPUTER
    make sure ye have anydvd running in the back ground...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.