1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

EAT YE HEART OUT,YE DID NOT THINK OF THIS..

Crooks thieve £750,000 worth of Xbox 360s

Look out for dodgy dealers

By INQUIRER newsdesk: Thursday 23 November 2006, 10:48
    CRIMINALS HAVE NICKED a shipment of Xbox 360s worth about £750,000 during a lorry hijacking soon after it left a depot near Lichfield in Staffordshire, reports The Times.

No doubt the consoles will be popping up at dodgy market stalls across the country as Christmas time approaches. Police in Staffordshire are looking for witnesses to the hijacking which supposedly happened on Monday at about 5am, on the A38 motorway.

It's thought that there were at least three men involved in the hijacking, believed to be driving a Range Rover and Rover saloon. Apparently, they signalled for the driver of the lorry to slow down, at which point the driver assumed the gang was letting him know there was something trapped under the wheels of his lorry. This was not the case, though, and once pulled over, the gang attacked the driver and made off with the lorry, which was later found devoid of someone's Christmas presents on the A38 at Minworth in Warwickshire.

The driver was taken to hospital for his injuries but was deemed okay and discharged. Hellmann Worldwide Logistics UK, the distributor, has apparently ordered an internal investigation about the attack.

Staffordshire copper Peter Stevens told The TImes: "We are appealing for information from anyone who is offered these games in suspicious circumstances, such as in a pub, at a car boot sale or off the back of a lorry." Or from Nintendo employees. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35929

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi Ripper...yea, I teach piano and organ on the side...hard to make any real money at it. With all our science and technology, we still can't build anything electronic that will reproduce the sounds thse guys make. To think they were building these things 500 years ago! If you ever get a chance to view one in a church somewhere but behind the scenes you'll be amazed at what a marvel these are. Oh, they've modernized a way to force air into the pipes, but they've not yet been able to electronically reproduce the sound the sound of the pipes themselves...especially in the bass. Imagine the sound of blowing into a 50-60 foot tall coke bottle LOL! So too, it's the ideal way to test out a new home theater of stereo when you buy one....bring a CD of pipe organs; a much heavier duty test than any heavy metal which can do loud but not the astonishing depth of a 50 foot pipe or the high pitch of air through a pipe one inch tall and the diameter of a bar straw!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2006
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

BUSTED. They are sooo screwed ;-)

Nice comment,

@Gerry:

Cool, I play the cornet; have done for about 6 years now :)

I play piano too, not as well though, cos I didn't take it up, it just came to me Lol.

That's one hefty coke bottle! :p
    Organs make one hefty sounds though XD

4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

my bitch. amazon was selling xbox 360 for $100 and it was sold out in one second.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Really? I doubt it... You got a link to that? Also, it's probably someone sellign through amazon; not amazon themselves...

I had a look, couldn't see any trace of it :p

6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

ok fine, they probley didn't sold in seconds but in minute than.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Now now....lets not get testy boys. It's thanksgiving day so be thankful. "Dear Lord, my back and neck are raising all sorts of hell today and I'm so grateful! ...and least of the oxycontin and the percoset chaser" LOL! You know, that's the nice thing about oxycontin and percoset...so hard to get in a snit about anything.

@Ripper...Coronet is a rather unusual instrument to be studying....did this start for the school band or something of the sort. Such a smooth and mellow sound they have.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Me? Testy? Where? :p

Lol! And Gerry, I'm English, we don't have Thanksgiving ;-)

Hehe, anyway, yep, end of conversing between me and rihgt682! Lol

9. ireland

ireland Active member

ME BITCH FOR TODAY....

DVD discs shortage predicted for next year

Digitimes reported today the results of a study in which the Japan Recording-Media Industries Association (JRIA) predicts that global demand for write-once DVD discs will be higher than supply for the discs.

According to JRIA's study, it seems also that Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs demand will increase balancing the DVD media shortage.

Are you ready to switch to next generation optical media?
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/DVD-discs-shortage-predicted-for-next-year.html

CD-RW shortage due to cell phones sales
    Submitted by: arnesr
    Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/11995.html

I know this was posted a couple months back, but here's an update.

Phone frenzy is jacking up CD-RW prices

The half of the population that owns mobile phones may have inadvertently pushed up the price of CD-RW drives.
    It seems that a shortage of the drives - particularly the slimline versions designed for laptops - can be attributed to a deficit of RF amplifiers - chips that boosts radio signals. This is also used in handheld computers and cell phones, and these shortages have interrupted the manufacturing chain. Furthermore, shortfalls in all things silicon are predicted for Q4.
    The problem starts at the source, with a scarcity of silicon. It seems that last year manufacturers placed extremely large orders with the fabs, which were not met by customer demand. This year the orders have been more conservative, and the PC manufacturers are unable to increase volume quickly enough, and since the factories are honouring contracts with the mobile companies they don't have any surplus.
    [...]
    In the US at the end of last year a CD-RW drive sold for an average of $215. Over the last four months this has risen to $250.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

OMG.
    /me runs upsatirs to fetch the old Teac CD-RW drive he has lying on his bedroom floor! Back from the days when windows 95 was out.

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yikes...you remember windows 95?? I though you were 16-17? Personally, I'm still cursing windows 98 and I've been using XP for quite some time. I can't begin to tell you how much music and artwork I lost at the hands of windows 98 ... kept crashing all the friggin time!

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i remember Win95 being released on 24th Aug '95 :p

13. ireland

ireland Active member

[​IMG]
    Windows 95 is a consumer-oriented graphical user interface-based operating system. It was released on August 24, 1995 by Microsoft, and was a significant progression from the company's previous Windows products. During development it was referred to by the internal codename Chicago.

Windows 95 was intended to integrate Microsoft's formerly separate MS-DOS and Windows products. It featured significant improvements over the popular Windows 3.1, most visibly the graphical user interface (GUI) whose basic format and structure is still used in later versions such as Windows XP. There were also large changes made to the underlying workings, including support for 255-character mixed-case long filenames and preemptively multitasked protected-mode 32-bit applications. Whereas the previous versions of Windows were optional "operating environments" requiring the MS-DOS operating system (usually available separately), Windows 95 was a consolidated operating system, which was a significant marketing change.

Windows 95 followed Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with its lack of support for older, 16-bit x86 processors, thus requiring an Intel 80386 (or compatible) processor running in protected mode.

LINK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

14. ireland

ireland Active member

Woot.com sells Wii for $1!!!

jader9920 submitted by jader9920 19 hours 51 minutes ago (via www.woot.com)

In the last Woot Off, some of the people lucky enough to score a "bag of crap" were surprised when they received a box with a note saying "We heard these spoil so we shipped it first" and inside the box 1 Nintendo Wii. First 61" TVs now Wiis. What's next?

LINK

http://digg.com/tech_deals/Woot_com_sells_Wii_for_1

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hell...guess I'm not the only old fart here LOL! I was first introduced to computers in 1993 at work....old slave things with the monotone screens. dos commands and we had to put any notes on a client on their address line. We were told that soon, we'd eliminate all the paper. Windows 95 as the first they gave us ... how good could it possibly be if you have to click start to shut down?

Well, I'm far more acclimated and experienced than I was but I'm glad I didn't hold my breath on the paperwork promise.

Well, thanks giving dinner starts a bit early. I'll be back after the shrimp cocktail and benedryl appetiser.

16. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yikes indeed. We got a 95 PC when I was about 5 ish. I'm 15 now :)

Had that 95 until we got an XP. I missed out on 98/ME alltogether :p

EDIT: I see creaks's memory isn't too bad after all :D

EDIT2:
    I like it :) When I was 9 I took it up becos I liked the sound and the shape etc - all the things a 9yr old looks for :p
    Never gave it up and have played for 6 years (over 6 yrs) now. I also own a flugelhorn, which is very nice to play, and a rly mellow sound. I have a trumpet too, which I rarely use, unless I play jazz ;-)

18. ireland

ireland Active member

ANOTHER BITCH FOR TODAY

Xmas with the MPAA and RIAA

p2pnet.net News:- Christmas is almost here, so that means it's Bah Humbug time for the movie and music cartels as they team up for their annual Christmas blitz.

And that's their description, not ours.

Instead of dreaming up ways to woo music and movie lovers by, say, offering them decent, affordable product, the MPAA and RAA are going on another rampage.

They're, "embarking on the Holiday Blitz with twin goals in mind," they say disingenuously, "protecting holiday shoppers from purchasing illegal copies of their favorite movies and music and defending movie studios and the recording industry against the loss of crucial holiday sales, especially those from newly released – or even not-yet released – titles," say the two in a joint press release.

Of course, customers have zip to do with anything. The campaign is wholly self-serving, and substantial quantities of counterfeit material end up online or on the streets thanks entirely to the efforts of greedy Hollywood insiders who can't resist a quick buck.

Meanwhile, your already less than pleasurable cinema experience is likely to be further marred by ushers with night-vision goggles who are being paid hefty bounties to nail anyone who looks as though they might be surreptitiously filming a show.

And as far as the Big Four Organized Music gang is concerned, "online investigators" will be busily surfing the p2p networks, looking for trouble.

"The MPAA and the RIAA are working to assist local law enforcement in metropolitan cities in 11 targeted states," say the two so-called 'trade' associations.

Translated, that means instead of looking after the taxpayers who fund them, local police and other agencies will be working as unpaid corporate copyright cops.

Humbug, anyone?

Don't bother to stay tuned.

(Thursday 23rd November 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/10535?PHPSESSID=267eb5a164bc7c15b4d3fa114951c6a9

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

MY DAMNED SCANNER DIED!!!

[​IMG]

20. ireland

ireland Active member

garry1
    my scanner did not die