Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

UPDATE
    AllofMP3.com defies US

p2pnet.net News:- "The American government hopes it's finally come up with the means to smash Russia's AllofMP3.com on behalf of EMI (Britain), Vivendi Universal (France), Sony BMG (Japan and Germany) and the only US record label, Warner Music, using the World Trade Organization talks as the hammer," p2pnet posted a couple of days back.

An official Office of the November 19 United States Trade Representative document highlighted a "blueprint" of actions to be taken against AllofMP3.com.

"Russia has agreed to shut down Allofmp3.com and other music sites based in that country that the U.S. government says are offering downloads illegally," said CNET News yesterday. "The nation has struck the agreement with the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative as it seeks entry to the World Trade Organization. The U.S. has suggested that it would hold up Russia's acceptance in the WTO unless leaders there took action against digital piracy."

The US did not, of course, suggest anything. It was an outright demand.

But AllofMP3.com is still very much online, although it's, "one of many internationally based download sites that the U.S. and several other countries are trying to close down," says CNET.

"Music labels and movie studios say that such sites are not authorized to sell music and don't compensate copyright holders."

The Big Four Organized Music cartel's RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), "would like U.S. law to prevail over Russian law in Russia," said Vadim Mamotin, director general of Mediaservices, Allofmp3's parent company, in a statement.

But, "the fact is that the sovereign rights of one nation can't be trampled on by an outside organization like the RIAA," he goes on. "And, although the RIAA tried in vain to link two disparate issues - the business dispute with AllofMP3 and the WTO matter - it was clearly a failed exercise insofar as they based the link on a misrepresentation about the illegality of AllofMP3."

(Cheers, Bill)

2. ireland

ireland Active member

ANOTHER UPDATE

AllofMP3: We're not going anywhere

11/30/2006 4:23:42 PM, by Nate Anderson

After receiving years of press so bad that the US Trade Representative is now calling for its head by name, AllofMP3.com has launched a press offensive of sorts. After giving their first press conference earlier this year to counter the mounting criticism, AllofMP3 has given another one, this time to address the new bilateral trade agreement between the US and Russia that looks set to put them out of business.

John Kheit, an IP attorney for Chadbourne & Parke in New York, is representing AllofMP3, and he had one basic point to make in the wake of the trade agreement: AllofMP3 is legal, and it's not going anywhere. Although the agreement indicates quite clearly that the Russians have agreed to brand AllofMP3 an illicit site, Kheit points out that diplomats can talk as much as they want, but AllofMP3 isn't illegal until judges decide. "Legality is not decided by a legislative branch or an executive branch. It's decided by a court," he said in response to a question from Ars Technica. And no such ruling has been handed down.

The company also believes it is legal for US consumers to use, and has issued a lengthy statement outlining its position.

Kheit believes that AllofMP3 is currently legal under Russian copyright law, and he points to Article 39 of that law as proof. The article, headed "Use of a Published Phonogram for Commercial Purposes Without Consent from the Phonogram Producer and the Performer" in its English translation, appears to allow collection societies like ROMS to issue licenses for music, even when they do not have the permission of the copyright holder. That right only applies in three circumstances, though: public performance, broadcasting, and the "communication of the phonogram to the public by cable." It does not cover "the communication of the phonogram to the public." What does that mean, exactly? We'll leave it to Russian IP attorneys to work that out, but section 39 provides the legal basis for AllofMP3's claims of legitimacy.

The bilateral trade agreement specifies that Russia will change its laws by the middle of 2007 so that collection societies cannot act without the approval of copyright holders. A plain reading of this condition indicates that AllofMP3, whether legal now or not, will no longer be able to offer most of its music once the law is changed. Still, Kheit insists, the company will abide by the law and will adapt as conditions warrant.

Also of interest was the claim that AllofMP3 has not been as badly damaged by the inability to accept Visa and MasterCard payments as many would suspect. That's because most users have credit with the site and only use it over time. But as it grows increasingly difficult to add more money to one's account, the company will start to feel the squeeze in the months to come unless they can work out alternative payment systems that are as safe and easy as paying directly by credit card.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061130-8330.html

3. ireland

ireland Active member

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't mind checking it out - L love to play :)

Better than the ease of 'unchecking' what you don't want in Clone? GUI better than last years beta of it?

5. ireland

ireland Active member

binkie7

pm is one the way to ye..

going to bed..

6. rav009

rav009 Active member

I've never personally played with it, CloneDVD + AnyDVD does the job well, though DVDCopy5 seems to give a better output..

7. matt72

matt72 Regular member

@ireland,

Any more to licenses to spare as my mom seems more comfortable using one click methods :).

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Since most read this thread, AnyDVD is up to 6.0.9.0 now

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@Gerry1,
    Perhaps the future will be brighter (and quieter for you?)
    A small Florida company is taking on the Federal Communications Commission to change regulations prohibiting the sale of equipment used to scramble cell phone signals to local and state agencies.

The company, CellAntenna, filed a lawsuit in the U.S. Court of Appeals in the 11th Circuit in Atlanta on November 22 challenging the Communications Act of 1934, which is enforced by the FCC. The 1934 act and the FCC regulations that go along with it prohibit the use of cellular and radio frequency-jamming equipment, except by federal agencies. This means that local and state officials are not permitted to use such equipment, which could be used to help prevent terrorist attacks.

http://news.com.com/Company+challen...r/2100-1036-6139854.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@matt79...I can empathize with your mom; I need the one click jobbers too. I had downloaded AvyDVD and CloneDVD but couldn't get passed this electronic female voice saying "Oh, NO!" over and over again.

@BlivetNC...that's good news! I want one really bad!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  11. ireland

ireland Active member

matt72
    you got ye christmas gift for ye mon.in a pm from me..

12. binkie7

@ireland
    Tks!!!
    I'll try it out.
    May be a dumb question but use w/ AnyDVD or not?

13. ireland

ireland Active member

14. ireland

ireland Active member

MY BITCH FOR TODAY

MPAA Kills Anti-Pretexting Bill

By Ryan Singel| Also by this reporter
    02:00 AM Dec, 01, 2006

A tough California bill that would have prohibited companies and individuals from using deceptive "pretexting" ruses to steal private information about consumers was killed after determined lobbying by the motion picture industry, Wired News has learned.

The bill, SB1666, was written by state Sen. Debra Bowen, and would have barred investigators from making "false, fictitious or fraudulent" statements or representations to obtain private information about an individual, including telephone calling records, Social Security numbers and financial information. Victims would have had the right to sue for damages.

LINK TO TOTAL STORY
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72214-0.html?tw=rss.index

15. binkie7

Ah - thanks again ireland!

16. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

my bitch rant
    I cant find a DVD player that makes plying DVDs or getting past the menus to start a movie 1 click.
    I hate the media mafia forceing you to peviews and crap,I have acouple 90 year olds that want to watch movies and they tend to only watch most ONCE meaning I am de menuing dvds that I am not keeping ><

sigh its a shame china has not been on the ball with ts inspiring cp/ip defining gadgets *sigh*

17. ireland

ireland Active member

CHECK THIS OUT,AS I WOULD IF I WAS YE

Adobe Reader, IE, threat

p2pnet.net News:- A critical security hole in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow hackers to use Adobe Reader and Acrobat software penetrate and hi-jack PCs.

Other browsers aren't in danger.

Adobe released an advisory with pre-patch workarounds, "and warned that multiple unpatched flaws could cause software crashes and 'potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system'," says eWeek.

Affected software includes Adobe Reader 7.0.0 through 7.0.8 and Adobe Acrobat Standard and Professional 7.0.0 through 7.0.8 on the Windows platform.

"The bugs, which both Adobe and FrSIRT, a French vulnerability tracker, labeled as 'critical,' are in the AcroPDF ActiveX control, the component of Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader that displays PDF documents within Internet Explorer," says InformationWeek.

Adobe is working on a patch that will ship "soon" and says an upcoming upgrade to the Adobe Reader program is safe, says eWeek, adding:

Adobe suggests that affected users apply the following workaround:

"Browse to :program FilesAdobeAcrobat 7.0ActiveX. Note: If you did not install Acrobat to the default location, browse to the location of your Acrobat 7.0 folder.

"Select AcroPDF.dll and delete it."

Also See:
    eWeek - Adobe Confirms 'Critical' Reader, Acrobat Exploits, November 30, 2006
    InformationWeek - Adobe Warns Of Critical Acrobat, Reader Bugs

(Friday 1st December 2006)
    http://p2pnet.net/story/10604?PHPSESSID=21d85c470815c65fcd63005f961439a3

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If you use IE, your PC deserves to be hijacked ;-)

Lol, trust M$, eh...

19. binkie7

Yeah I agree w/ you there ripper on IE (smart one for your age :) )
    Firefox is the way to go.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Firefox is fast, safe, has great skins. Explorer 7 is a cheap and BADLY made clone :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.