1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

aabbccdd, the last time the nfl was on strike, you guys watched canadian football & liked it tho the rules are different. also remember we have american players in our teams as you have canadian players in your teams. you're right as i don't watch sports including hockey. i'll play it but won't watch it as i have other things that i enjoy doing.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD BITCH

Bull Sharks Sink Boat Off Fla. Coast

FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. -- A crew aboard a shrimping boat were rescued after a group of bull sharks rammed and bit the vessel until it eventually sank off the Florida coast, according to an Associated Press report.

Captain Roger Schmall said a group of sharks had been slamming into the Christy Nichole's hull for four days. But then a 14-foot bull shark broke the boat's tail shaft, leaving Schmall and his crew of two adrift about 100 miles off the coast.

Schmall radioed for help, and another vessel picked the crew up about two hours later.

Schmall remained aboard his ship to pump water out while the other boat pulled it back to land. He said it was working for a couple of hours, but the waves eventually took their toll on Schmall's boat and the boat sank.
    http://www.local6.com/news/10942485/detail.html

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Apple would "switch to selling only DRM-free music" if labels agree

2/6/2007 3:08:28 PM, by Nate Anderson

As stories about "iTunes lock-in" pick up steam in Europe, Steve Jobs has decided that the time has come to make Apple's DRM stance clear. In an open letter posted today, Jobs insists that Apple would welcome a DRM-free world and that iTunes would offer unencrypted downloads the moment that labels make them available.

Jobs argues that it's only the labels who are holding Apple back. He also argues that their fixation on DRM is strange given the fact that nearly all the music they sell is in unencrypted, uncompressed form (CDs). This means that DRM does nothing to keep files off of P2P networks, and in fact represents a major investment of time and money by the companies that employ it. "If anything, the technical expertise and overhead required to create, operate and update a DRM system has limited the number of participants selling DRM protected music," he writes. "If such requirements were removed, the music industry might experience an influx of new companies willing to invest in innovative new stores and players."

He's right, of course: DRM isn't primarily about piracy, a fact we've been pointing out for years.

Jobs is now facing pressure in Europe over FairPlay, but the media has also been stuffed to the gills with stories about how DRM is poised to fade away this year. The European situation is his most immediate concern; it's been festering for years, and consumer groups there are now making another concerted push to open (at least a little) the iTunes ecosystem.

At the very end of his letter, Jobs takes pains to point out that the issue in Europe is caused by labels, not Apple, and that several of those labels are European companies. "Perhaps those unhappy with the current situation should redirect their energies towards persuading the music companies to sell their music DRM-free," he says. "For Europeans, two and a half of the big four music companies are located right in their backyard. The largest, Universal, is 100% owned by Vivendi, a French company. EMI is a British company, and Sony BMG is 50% owned by Bertelsmann, a German company."

The "death of DRM" has been a hot topic lately, and it's been fueled by the pronouncements of people like Yahoo Music's David Goldberg, who told a recent conference, "I don't think tomorrow you'll see every song being sold as an MP3, but you'll be seeing a lot more of it, that's for sure. There will be a significant portion of our content that will be available in MP3s by Christmas time. I can't say what portion or which labels, but that's what we believe."

After this kind of talk from Yahoo and others in the industry, Apple certainly doesn't want to look like the bad guy. Apple is currently the largest supplier of DRM music on the planet, so Jobs' opinion matters, and he seems defensive about the claim that Apple is "pro-DRM." We've argued before that Apple has benefited greatly from the current situation and that removing DRM is not necessarily in their interest. Whatever Jobs says now about his distaste for DRM, FairPlay has helped Apple immeasurably by stifling competition in the store space (no other major store but eMusic can work with the iPod) and creating a seamless ecosystem that Apple has used as a selling point for the iPod.

Tying the store to the ultra-popular iPod allowed Jobs to take a leadership role in the burgeoning market for digital music, and gave him incredible clout with the music labels, which he then parlayed into success with TV studios. He's now hard at work on bringing the movie industry to heel, though they have proved more resistant to Apple's uniform pricing scheme. Jobs may in fact loathe DRM with every fiber of his black turtlenecks, but Apple has certainly benefited from FairPlay.

It has also proved resistant so far to offering isolated unencrypted tracks. Canadian label Nettwerk claims that Apple won't allow tracks to be sold without DRM, even when Nettwerk artists like the Barenaked Ladies approve.

This could simply be chalked up to Apple's desire to offer a consistent experience, but that same desire means that iTunes won't switch to unencrypted music in a piecemeal fashion: it will be all or nothing. Although most of the major labels have been experimenting with different forms of DRM or the occasional sale of MP3 files, it's not clear that any of them are yet willing to take the locks off of their complete catalogs. What the industry wants is interoperable DRM that can provide a good customer experience, not the elimination of all DRM controls.

But interoperable DRM is nowhere to be seen. Will the labels decide instead to drop it all together? If so, we have Apple's word that they will support open formats, and that would be good news for everyone.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070206-8782.html

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

@aabbccdd if u want to talk football get your facts right.australia would beat the americans at aussie rules football.the english would kill the americans at english football or soccer as it called in most countries.dam right the americans are the best at american football they invented.they trained to play it.they studied how to play it and have been for years.jus cause the media says their the world champs doesnt mean its true they may be the best in the world at american football but that doesnt mean much to us here in australia.

@kitty66 addict would look good under my name cause ive been here for like 2years but member is ok and yeah before the safety valve rule came in i use to make heaps of posts here to try to get my rank up.

@ireland that recording was very funny.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Maybe it should just say Rank under everyone's nickname. Boy would that raise a stink...lol...ok I'll stop, I have dslinux to do...issues!

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Somebody, don't remember who, said that it should say "Member since January 2007" or whatever month and year you joined aD. I liked this idea a lot.

My bitch of the day:

Guitar Hero is finally going to be released for the XBox 360 according to Gamestop. But, the reason for this complaint is the controllers. According to GameStop's website they are going to be $60 and thats just for an extra guitar.

The game, which comes with a guitar, is only $90 which is a bit expensive but not bad considering it comes with a Guitar.

7. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

That is a very good idea! PopSmith!!

Now where can I get the "I hate titles" rank I see that drd has???? Now, I would work for that one!

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I think the only people who should have any titles are "STAFF & MODERATORS"...

I've never cared what my title was or is...I was surprised that titles were by posts...I've seen Addicts post the most ridicules answers...and Newbies post some of the most brilliant...I judge each answer on it's own merit...

I will not take someone advise just because of there title...period...

A.D. Would have a lot less problems with no titles...it would eliminate post padding and take some of the load off the staff & mods...

9. antomic

antomic Regular member

ya. I believe that rank doesn't matter, although i think everyone who's stayed with ad for so long deserve a reward of some kind...or not. Just an idea. I just realized i've been using this site since 2005. 2 years of sensless dripbble coming out of this mouth :p-----

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

It use to be that the first 3 levels (Newbie, Junior and Member) were the only ranks done by post count. To become a Senior or Addict you were hand picked by Admins and Mods for showing above average knowledge and using that knowledge to help others as best you could.

You are right that rank doesn't mean much these days since it doesn't take any thought to post pad if someone wants to. However those that do use their knowledge to help others do get noticed by other members regardless of the title under their name. Just help out when you can and don't worry about the rank. Its not important.

Jerry

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

To my knowledge Jerry was the last of the old school gentlemen to earn a promotion under the beloved old system - I know because I nominated him :)

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

AMEN... should just say "member since feb 8 2006" something like that.

my bitch is im at work and its 6 degree's out and we just got 8 inches of snow and they wont let us out early.

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Typical Cincy Whine, Be a man and stay at work, then hit the flippin' dumpster and report all your treasure.

I've always supported the "Member sice" title for everyone.
    'cept for Neph.
    "master of all that is known"
    or
    "Demi God with Lightning Rod"
    are two titles I support.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

blivetNC, now who would be the "Demi God with Lightning Rod"?

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

and whats the weather like there in carolina???lol
    pretty good titles there. im sure creaky would like one..lol(wink)

another bitch why do members (JR SR and ADDICTS)here wanna lash out at a newbie for asking a dumb question. thats why they are newbies...

16. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@ddp...lol...giggle...spurt...chuckle. You have such a cool dry sense of humor. Who do you think they were talking about.

@cincy - I hope I was not lashing the "slip o' the pirate one". I was hoping to scare him/her before a "demi god with a lighning rod" caught up with it, and remind him/her of the rules. I re-edited with a welcome after the OP had changed the post. The last thing I want to do is make noobs feel bad, I still consider myself one.

8 inches of snow and they wont let you go sledding!?! Bad overlords!

17. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@ddp,
    the title is all yours oh mighty one with such sympathy towards us undeserving minions.
    @Cincy, the weather here is actually cold today, some of the locals are setting their houses on fire trying to keep pipes from freezing. We like burning things down here I guess. Every year after T-day the local TV station has a recap on how many people set something on fire trying to deep fry their turkey. Just goes to show liquor and hot oil and a burner don't mix with a 20 lb turkey.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ddp yeah your right we did watch canadian football and it was ok yes lol. i had forget. but theres alot of things i forget lol

19. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Ok, this is really random but I was looking around the 'net and happened to notice a crazy, yet probably true news article. Its about the whole "Merry Christmas" (Which could be considered offensive to people who do not celebrate the holiday) vs "Happy Holidays" thing.

Now I know America is not the only country in the world, nor in my opinion, is it the best at times (or maybe even at all). Yes, before I get flamed, I do live in America. I live in Salt Lake City.

Ok, so I found a news article dated 9 December 2006, posted on a New Zealand (what the heck?) paper's website that said out of almost 13,000 Americans who took a survey, which was conducted by Zogby International, 95%, or about 12,350 of them, said that a "Merry Christmas" greeting in stores would not or did not offend them.

It went on to say that 32 percent of the survey takers found "Happy Holidays" to be offensive which I thought was funny because "Happy Holidays" is considered religion neutral and supposedly inoffensive.

I personally do not mind saying or hearing Happy Holidays, but, whatever.

I just thought it was an interesting article and I thought I would say something about it.

Peace

20. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@ddp
    Were you the one that posted about converting a USS Arizona model to a USS Texas...What Mods are you having to make...Looks like Texas has a protruding bow compared to Arizona...More vertical Turrets without wings...looks like the upper hull lines are similar...can see why you chose Arizona to begin with...I'm assuming no Texas kits exist...would love to see photos if you got any...My brothers doing a real nice Missouri...I'll post some pictures of a DR1 I did of Kempf's with all the mods pointed out...Could not stand watching Flyboys with all the Red DR1's...how about just a little historical accuracy...some of use will notice that stuff...It made me get a copy of the Blue Max at least they were close...

@jerry746
    This is the first forum I ever read or posted in...so every thing about a forum...or how you should post...or rankings...is news to me...I use to assume it was by promotion from Staff or Mods...learned that was not the case in Safety Valve...

Still not 100% sure how everything works in forums between Staff & Mods...I always assumed Staff are payed...Mods are volunteer...Staff promotes Mods...Mods contol forums...Mods are the only ones who can officially ban members...

Just posted pic's of my sisters new Home Theatre project...been working on it for 2 years...just installed carpet today...no pic's of that yet...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.