1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Shame your randomness spread to toehr areas of the forum though, isn't it. ;-)

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  2. ireland

ireland Active member

sorry its not randomness this is the way i see it,its the way a newbie is greeted when he posts a problem..that causes the problem's, and i see it every day.its not caused by the sv.

meaning of randomness
    without a pattern: done, chosen, or occurring without a specific pattern, plan, or connection

edit spelling

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Where'd you get the whole "way noobs are treated" thing from? That has nothing to do with the randomness of the safetly valve and how it spills over into other forums.

They're two different issues, neither of which can be blamed on the other, IMO. Noobs are treated badly if they ask stupid questions without searching, don't punctuate etc correctly or don't read forum rules. The safety valve is full of crap which gets carried over into other threads.. there is only one issue, that being the safety valve. It has jack sh!t to do with how noobs are treated... they get it pretty easy if you ask me (the intelligent ones).

4. ireland

ireland Active member

give this a try,its sat time to spend some money,i is going to the dollar computer store
    later

Gizmo Project 3.1.1.275
    Author: Gizmo Project
    Date: 2007-05-05
    Size: 13.3 Mb
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win XP/2K

Gizmo Project uses your internet connection (broadband or dial-up) to make calls to other computers. With the click of a mouse, you’re connected to friends, family, and colleagues anywhere on earth. It’s just that simple. You talk clearly. For as long as you want. For free.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/77/295688#3049577

p/s noobs are allowed to ask stupid questions,thats how they learn,we were noobs at one time..

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

My definiton of a stupid question is so...
    1) Breaks rules
    2) Can be found by searcing google or aD first
    3) is worded badly

All 3 of my criteria are fair. Not saying that's reason to abuse someone new to the forum, but you catch my drift (or don't you?).

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks MATE.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

My definiton of a stupid question is so...
    1) Breaks rules
    i agree
    2) Can be found by searcing google or aD first
    99.9% do not know that,thats why they come here for help.
    3) is worded badly
    i been a bad speller all my life does that make me stupid
    i hated english..in school..

but you catch my drift (or don't you?).
    thats why your 15 to ask that question..and i am near 70,you got a lot to learn in life

i have to go..
    later.

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh don't have a hissy fit Billy. I don't agree with a lot of stuff that goes on, and I usually make it clear. Most people, some of which I am friendly with, accept it and that's the end of it.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, well then I'll leave this here for you to read when you're back.

Re my second point, 99.9% need to pull their finger out then.

Re my third point, spelling/dyslexia has nothing to do with wording the question the right way. Spelling is completely different to punctuation and grammar.. for example:

----
    I am riting this as an exemple of a badly spelt sentense in witch my grammer and punctution are fine, but my speeeling isn't.
    ----

And no, I didn't have to ask that question because I'm 15 years old. Whether or not you "caught my drift" has f**k all to do with how old I am or how much I have to learn. That's your opinion. Maybe I had to ask that question as I wasn't sure that the person it was directed at was competant enough to understand.

Don't get me started on age discrimination ireland, cos it's a touchy subject as far as I'm concerned and I'm willing to prove my point one way or another.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@You wrote:

My friend, I couldn't disagree with that more strongly. I can't tell how often I've typed the words "Please be nice to the newbies" ...other member to like IHoe have done the same thing. Newbies, if asking something politely, even if its a dumb question, should be treated with respect. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen sarcastic responses and even words calling them dumb idiots and the like when they were perfectly polite in their requests.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Edit -

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

See above; I pushed the reply button by accident.

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, and I wrote..

Obviously you didnt catch my drift either.

Edit: Fix tags

14. little155

little155 Regular member

Ripper, wait until you get older (Social Security Age) and see how age discrimination (and they will call it something else) really works. It's really an eye opener. Just wait.

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Little155 ... you're a wise man. Given his experience both in technology and in life, Ireland has forgotten more than most of us have so far learnt. A little respect would be nice. I think "respect" is what it all boils down to ... whether to newbies politely seeking answers... or to each other; simple respect seems to be a virtue which has gone down the toilet in recent years and it seems that it's the precipitating factor in the downfall of most good things.

Edit: One of these days, I'll learn how to type!

16. Jaybo

Jaybo Guest

My answer to your definition 1):

That can be from not willing to read the rules to Posting on the wrong thread. Could be foul and abusive language. Did anyone take the time to read the rules that apply to this thread?
    Try here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/24246 which leads you to this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

Yes, it's apparent the rules haven't been followed very well or not at all, how about rule #6 does it apply only to a certain few, or to all. Yes, some rules do get stretched a bit, but that I think is so the flow of the forum doesn't get bogged down.

My answer to your definition 2):

Seems that most folks think their problem is only unique to them, and most *New* members are unaware of how to use the "Search" function of any forum. I try to cut someone a break. I know it may not seem that way to some, , , but I have been burned out by answering the same question, 100 different ways.

My answer to your definition 3):

What I have learned is that when a person gets upset, or frustrated, , , ,*Coherency* is out the window. As a human being, my coherency is shot when I get tried. If a member doesn't or can't understand what is typed in a post, , ,Don't respond to it!

Geeeeeeezzzzze, Hope this makes some sense.

If not, I hope someone writes a book called "Forum etiquette for Dummies". (No that is not aimed at any individual.)

17. little155

little155 Regular member

A little respect and a little courtesy goes a long way, no matter what's your age.
    gerry, now if I could just get that spell checker to correct my thinking, instead of what I type, I would have it made.

18. Jaybo

Jaybo Guest

My answer to your definition 1):

That can be from not willing to read the rules to Posting on the wrong thread. Could be foul and abusive language. Did anyone take the time to read the rules that apply to this thread?
    Try here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/24246 which leads you to this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

Yes, it's apparent the rules haven't been followed very well or not at all, how about rule #6 does it apply only to a certain few, or to all. Yes, some rules do get stretched a bit, but that I think is so the flow of the forum doesn't get bogged down.

My answer to your definition 2):

Seems that most folks think their problem is only unique to them, and most *New* members are unaware of how to use the "Search" function of any forum. I try to cut someone a break. I know it may not seem that way to some, , , but I have been burned out by answering the same question, 100 different ways.

My answer to your definition 3):

What I have learned is that when a person gets upset, or frustrated, , , ,*Coherency* is out the window. As a human being, my coherency is shot when I get tired. If a member doesn't or can't understand what is typed in a post, , ,Don't respond to it!

Geeeeeeezzzzze, Hope this makes some sense.

If not, I hope someone writes a book called "Forum etiquette for Dummies". (No that is not aimed at any individual.)

How about the double posting?? Fun isn't it?

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Little....I know what you mean LOL! I have a twofold problem in that area: I can't type to save my life and secondly, I grew up speaking french and while I've learnt to speak without an accent, and read and write reasonably, I've never gotten the hang of spelling in english LOL!

Edit: There goes the typing again lol!

20. Jaybo

Jaybo Guest

Hello gerry1, Ireland, Ripper.

{:eek:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.