1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I didn't realize Temple has an open admissions policy. Now I believe what you were saying. Temple is merely an extension of the problems seen in the public school system. Luckily that isn't the case in most schools, or at least those trying to keep some semblance of quality. Is that open policy only for in state students or does that apply to anyone applying? I wonder what percentage of new med students are Temple undergrads? I haven't researched the schools, but I remember the ones family members, my friends, and I applied to required solid SATs or you didn't get any consideration. So, as far as major colleges and universities, Temple appears to be an exception.

Degrees don't insure jobs. Your "fries" joke about Temple graduates show the school's problem isn't a secret. Other than the grad programs, Temple isn't the respected school it once was. The school lowered its standards and in the process lost its reputation for quality. I suspect the professional schools (Medical, Dentistry, ...) didn't lower their standards to reflect the undergrad policy, at least I hope they didn't.

2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

My bitch:

Ok, well I just got done with some orientation for Real Estate. Cool, however I have a couple of things I am upset about.

Well I am excited as I am officially licensed (other then I don't have my paper license, should come early next week) and can start conducting business, which is great.

However, my first "bitch" of the day; I got my name tag from the company and the broker (basically "the boss" of a Real Estate office) didn't listen very well to me when I signed up and put my full name, which nobody has ever know me as, on my name tag. Suck, now I have to get a new one!

My other bitch:

The broker claims that I look "too young to be taken seriously" and that I need to find a way to look older, even if it means dressing up in a suit everywhere I go. How the heck do you make yourself look older and still look good?

Peace

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

Model yourself on gerry.

Oh...AND look good.

Just kidding gerry :p

4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@Popsmith,
    Liquor, cigarettes, late night partying ala Lindsay Lohan, women in general, no wait, have kids of your own. Instant aging. Better yet, rent some teenagers and play parent for a couple of hours.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Pop Smith
    On a serious note, the boss wasn't kidding. People have a tendency to associate age with intelligence and knowledge. Age gives you experience, more or less a foundation on which to use the intelligence and knowledge. I've seen some old dummies over the years.

Wearing a suit does make a person appear more professional. Dress depending on the situation though. Usually a well matched sports jacket, pants and tie do the trick, except in the more upscale offices. From that you can quickly dress down if the situation calls for it. Taking off a tie eliminates a lot of formalness from a business meeting. Never do it in the face of the boss though, unless invited to do so. Just a little bit of dress politics. LOL

Find a good barber or stylist who can give you a neat conservative look, not too long and not too short, and definitely off the ears and nothing over neat, 3/4 length sideburns. Some people can pull off wearing a mustache, but beards are almost impossible. A mustache can make a person look older, but make it conservative. One thing about wearing facial hair, it gives some people the feeling you're trying to be the alpha male. Be aware and don't go overboard acting like one. Don't wear jeans unless you're trying to sell a ranch of a log cabin. Never wear a Hawaiian print shirt unless the office has a dress down day. Looking neat and professional may not make you look older, but it will give you the appearance of being more mature and professional. That may have been what the boss was trying to get across. I wouldn't try to correct him though. LOL

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Pop_Smith: Once again, my young friend, congratulations! ...your perseverance in getting your license is a fine example for all of us ... young and old alike (Billyboy ... any comments on the latter and I'll have to slap you again with that multi-purpose trout LOL!) Anyway, so many of us want instant results and give up if we don't get it; I experienced quite a lot of that when I taught piano ... most wanted to play Chopin tomorrow without having the patience to due what was required to achieve that goal or looking at mistakes as failure instead of something to learn from.

Like anyone whose job involves working with the public in such a manner that you're the focus of attention, your next act of perseverance will be having the patience to develop your own "style" which really only starts to happen as you get more comfortable with your new role. Frankly, I thing your boss is wrong about looking to young to be taken seriously. Sure, a person's initial reaction may be "damn, he's just a kid" but once you're on the better side of the ol' learning curve, that initial assessment ("damn, he's just a kid")will disappear just as quickly as it came when what comes out of your mouth is knowledge of your field and words which anitcipate and address their concerns. Knowledge and thoroughness in adressing their concerns in such a huge and serious investment about which their understandably nervous will take the attention away from youth really quickly. Your patience, however, will produce the same positive results as your knowledge and confidence becomes second natured. Just hang in there meboy and I'm sure you'll prove your boss wrong.

@Pac ... indeed, Temple has lowered its standards but they aren't alone; its become quite common in state subsidized colleges and universities. It is quite different in private institutions ... Drexel, Providence College, Jesuit colleges like Fordham, Loyola, Boston College and even lesser known but quality institutions still have (for the most part) the admission standards (high school grades, SATs etc)and consequently the competition about which you spoke earlier and that sort of competition is a healthy and productive things (unless taken too far like the Japanese youth who commit suicide because they've shamed themselves and their families because they weren't quite good enough). People far more knowledgable than me have yet to agree on anything but my personal opinion is that the concept that college should be for everybody is just plain dead wrong and that the implementation of such policies has led to a far lower quality of education. There are some European countries where their young graduating from high school do so with a self sustaining, respectable and marketable skill. We don't do that here and as a consequence, our young men and women get out of school with no self-sustaining skills whatsoever. We do have some quite sucessful vocation type high schools but they're few and far between because they're more expensive to operate than college prep. We had a kid who came into the office not long ago who learnt a great deal and became very skilled in offset printing and typesetting which, as our tech savvy membership knows, has been obsolete (for the most part) for the last fifteen years. In my opinion, college ISN'T for everyone but there has to be a viable alternative or kids gradute unable to do anything but hang around the street corners.

My apologies to all; time to get off this soapbox and stop boring people to tears LOL!

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

There has been quite a push in Philly lately emphasizing / advocating the use of these gas/electric cars. This is the view from my living room window; can you picture each of those windows with orange extension cords down to the street?

[​IMG]

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

sad news really. My 14 yr old Chow passed today. The kiddies don't really get it but my wife was stricken with sadness. :( Sorry to report such news but it's news at my household.

....gm

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@greensman ... sorry to hear about your dog. I think there is a great deal of truth to the old saying "The dog is man's best friend". They love you no matter what, they're always there no matter what and they even sense things about you that no human seems to. At 14 years old, he/she had a long life and obviously a lot of love and care. It hurts but he couldn't ask for better; the proverbial "lucky dog" who had a long life under the best possible circumstances.

10. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Losing a dog you've had for 14 years, is losing a much loved member
    of the family. My sympathy goes out to you.

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@Greensman, sorry about your loss. Just remember the great 14 years you had with your beloved pet.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey thanks people!! It means a lot to me that you guys care enough to say something. All is well here in the greensman household, just reminiscing old times with a good dog. She will be missed. :)

Enough sadness!! Happiness and fun times are on the horizon. :)

....gm

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Sorry to hear of your dog's passing. Everyone who's grown up with a dog has felt the sorrow. Just last year or so, I believe Auslander lost his beloved companion. Fourteen years with the same dog are golden. My sympathy to your family, ole buddy.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Greensman
    Hate to hear about your pet. Mine passed a couple of years ago and I still miss him. There's no children at home asking for pets, so there's been no new pets. As we know, we can get another pet, but our pals can't be replaced. My buddy was an outgoing fellow that everyone seemed to like. Some of my friends who got used to him being my shadow missed the old fellow as well. There was a standing joke about the old boy. I sometimes got questions about if I wanted to let him go. I often said I wouldn't give a penny for another like him, but I wouldn't take a million dollars for him.

In other words, I empathize with your loss. Remember the good times...

15. Shardel

Shardel Guest

There is a website called the Rainbow Bridge that might be a comfort
    for your children. It is a beautiful meadow with wildflowers. You
    post your pets picture there. The story that goes with it-The
    meadow is just oustside the gates of heaven. Your beloved pet waits
    there in the warm sunshine waiting for you to join him someday. Then
    he can walk with you to the gates of heaven.
    I don't want to hear a single you old softie out of you tough guys.
    My Annie (a 1 1/2 pound Yorkie) is there.

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

A sad but somewhat comical story of my first pet: When I was six or seven, I had this bright yellow canary that chirped and sang constantly. I was so attached to the little thing. I always let it fly loose in the house and always rode of my shoulder (Mom always went nuts because of the tiny green lumps it left behind LOL).Poor thing got really sick, losing its pretty feathers, it stopped singing, very lethargic, One day I found it dead in its cage. I was nuts with grief as a six year old would be. I even conducted my own little catholic style funeral (with make believe priests robes made of sheets and muttering gibberish as Latin (I wanted to be a priest as a kid) in the back yard and buried it. I still remember where and complete with its own coffin (A dark green glass jar LOL!). I guess I remember it because it was my first ever experienced with death and grief.

When I was 16 or 17 (and in the first leg of my days in the seminary), my father was remenicing and chuckling at the extreme lengths I went to to bury the little thing then Dad let it slip that he killed it during the night. I was shocked for about ten seconds but having been raised by very pragmatic former farmers, I had that sense of the pragmatic myself and understood the need. I still chuckle at the memory of my elaborate ceremony to bury my poor little bird LOL! Strangely, I remember it like it was yesterday despite the fact that I was only six.

Edit: I really need to improve my typing skills (or lack thereof).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  17. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

Greensman..........very sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. We have 7 dogs & they too are very much a part of our family. We have our share of loss to, I came home a few years ago to find our black pug (Grannie) lying on the floor in a real bad way. To cut the story short she passed away eventually (she had renal failure) there was nothing that the vet could do. She to was an older dog, we did our very best for her as did the vet but it was not to be. She was sadly missed but we did get another black pug a few months after, but yes we do know what you are3 going through, my condolances.

18. billybob

billybob Regular member

@Gerry, no comment, no comment...just no more trout, PLEASE!! :p

@Greensman.

I feel for your loss my friend, you and your family have my dearest condolences, and although it is one thing for me to give you advice, i urge you to reminisce on all the good times with him/her. The optimism will also rub off on your children, hopefully squashing any earliy feelings of loss in their life.

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@billyboy ... fresh out of trout meboy. How's the new job? Have you managed to avoid spilling hot coffee on someone's private bits? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  20. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

My bitch (& its gonna be ongoing for a bit!!), got up yesterday to find my wife in tears because my youngest daughter (17) had left us a not to say that she hated her job (that is 8hrs a week) and she just left to go & stay with her useless boyfriend (who has no job, can't drive & is a real bum)!! She (my daughter) has only been working for about three months) did not even have the decency to talk about this job situation to either of us! We do not know why she "hates" it so much, it could be that they are making her work & she simply does not like it (she is real lazy). The only thing that she has said is that she would like to work with more younger people BUT we all know that u cannot chose who u work with, u just deal with it! My wife spoke to the "boyfriends mom" who had no idea as to what was going on,nor did she know what our daughter had done. She is kinda caught in the middle of the situation but she did say that our daughter was more than welcome to stay as long as we want (which is real good of her). We are both pretty mad/upset by this situation & at present we have no plans as to when she will be coming back to face the music & she WILL be facing the music. She will be getting no use of the phone, grounded, no computer use at all, no drivers ed & no car so she is in for a real awakening when she does return. She will also get one hell of a butt chewing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.