1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Paint The Kettle Black,Do You Have A Bitch On Whats Going On Around The Site Or Any Thing Negative To Report

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Pulsar...I agree wholeheartedly. Such a thread in the safety valve could be like a TV broadcast; if it's not your cup of tea, don't tune in! To me though, the operative words in your post would be "a decent and learned discussion". Oh sure, I've got no objection to wit and even some brainless name calling but it would be nice to discuss some things intelligently. So too, as a former theology student, I would enjoy such discussions. If memory serves, you are from the UK and its so cool to get other perspectives...I often tune in news broadcasts simply for that purpose. So I share your "bitch" in this thread; it would be interesting to be able to have a discussion without starting a third world war!

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Pulsar, gerry1
    All I can say is good luck. I agree to some extent with the Karma sytem proposed by the staff. It's somewhat imperfect but better than what's in place. Having this point of view, I'm suddenly a power monger who has political aspirations and has to prove he's right all the time. Strange one, Sophocles and 64026402 (aka The Donald) are often showing me I've still got things to learn. ;) I take the knowledge gracefully. There I go mentioning me again. Getting back to the topic at hand, the cheapest way to stop a discussion you don't agree with is to start an argument and degrade the entire discussion to where others look at it as a "pissing" contest. Then you have those who don't really care about much of anything, they just like having a good argument at the expense of all present. Then you have the sick characters who like causing discord so they can see what effect it has on the different members. Dodging those landmines, it's difficult to discuss anything controversial without setting one off. Nowadays, a topic doesn't even need to be controversial. As I said, good luck.

Guess that's another of my bitches.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.labour-watch.com/bbcbias.htm

1984, I read the book, it was required reading back in the day. Eric Blair was an excellent satirist and his perpective on totalitarianism made him an acclaimed author. But come 1984, the world was not yet what was portrayed in the novel. Blair's novel was sending a warning and making a political statement more than trying to state what the world is now. What it could become was the point. Luckily there are major governments (UK, US, Australia, and others) that aren't totalitarian yet, though some things many may find oppressive. Lot of British influence there.

If one looks, they can find some aspect of control in many structured societies. Prime examples can be seen in schools, religious groups, and even social clubs where there is a hierarchy in the grouping. I don't think one can go so far as saying the Church is totalitarian, or is that just reserved for government and political groups?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Are you looking at the world with an Orwellian view of it already having become a totalitarian state? Blair was sending a warning more than making a statement of what was and what would actually come to pass. He died in 1950 and 1984 was still well in his future. Seems after 1984 the book lost some of it's appeal as it hadn't come true (still hasn't, though there are some frightening similarities). People who can understand the true meaning of the satire still appreciate Blair's work though.

Instead of just watching the movie, give the book a read. The movie, though good, can't really do justice to the book. For those not truly familiar with Blair's work a "notes" book would be useful. To actually understand the text, one has to understand a bit about the author, his time, and the point he was trying to make with the satire.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2006
  8. brobear

brobear Guest

Given the choice of Aljazeera, the BBC or CNN, I know who I would choose! Who brought FOX into the mix? FOX's actual news appears fair, the poitical commentary on the News talk shows are biased, much as CNN, BBC, and Aljazeera have their political leanings. A person has to realize they all are biased to some extent. Funny thing, I've tuned in to the different news stations looking at the different takes and one can actually see the political bias when they look for it. Often one doesn't have to look very far, if they don't get hit in the face with it. Funny thing is, at least some commentators such as O'Reilly openly admit what they're doing is biased and isn't a presentation of the news but a comment on it. I could throttle the guy sometimes, but at least he's honest about what he's doing. That's unlike some reporters and anchors who cook the news to make a political statement.

9. regor

regor Regular member

I'm certainly glad I am not married to any of you blokes... in fact I'm going to go tell my wife just how good I've got it!

:)

10. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL And so am I. I'm not homophobic, but I do like the girls. I couldn't resist the bad joke, there will be a lot of those today. I know what you mean though. More bitching going on here than at a spinster party with them all having their "monthly".

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

fair enough lol!!!!

12. brobear

brobear Guest

I hear the BBC was opposed to it airing in the UK. ;) Someone mentioned something about an opposing point of view. Did I hear an unbiased BBC? But then, I'm a realist, I think they're all biased.

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer [bold]TACC[/bold], (the old Soviet Union's News service)--they were completely honest about being propagandists and revising history. The rest of the news services only claim to be fair and unbiased when in reality they make the story smell how they want it to smell. But that's just my own bitch, take it for what it's worth.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lets change the flow of this and post some postive things here ok

Afterdawn is a great site and we have many good members here and iam proud to be part of it i sure hope it continues for a long time to come .i just hate being negative and posting things i dont like nothing perfect or will ever be so i try to make the best of anything no matter what

15. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I agree with you aabbccd,....Man it is 4 in the morning right now and i have been on all night....time goes so fast on these forums :D
    Well i am calling it a night....Or should i say morning...LOL

Bye

16. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Its 4:30 here.
    My only Bitch is I need to go to bed at a decent time.
    See yall in a few hours.

Special thanks to Creaky for keepin me outa trouble tonight!

[​IMG]

17. ireland

ireland Active member

VERY HOT NEWS..

ALL GUESS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TODAY AND I JUST FOUND OUT THIS MORNING FROM A PM FROM DRD...,ALL THE MODS ARE GOING TO BE REMOVED,{FIRED}

and the new mods will be picked out of only the Senior Member's group BY THE END OF THE DAY.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

classic. i didn't actually realise it was April Fools day til your reply and it's 115pm here :O

but you nearly got me there :)

19. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]Newbies will automatically become Afterdawn Addicts following their first post. That goes into effect tomorrow, immediately following the installation of the new Senior Mods. The current class of Addicts will be retired and no longer allowed to post. Unfortunately, the current class of Junior Members will be placed in limbo.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  20. ireland

ireland Active member

In 2006 the Eldorado Daily Journal, based in Illinois, announced a contest to see who could save the most daylight for daylight savings time. The rules of the contest were simple: beginning with the first day of daylight savings time, contestants would be required to save daylight. Whoever succeeded in saving the most daylight would win. Only pure daylight would be allowed -- no dawn or twilight light, though light from cloudy days would be allowed. Moonlight was strictly forbidden. Light could be stored in any container. The contest received a huge, nationwide response. The paper's editor was interviewed by correspondents from CBS and NBC and was featured in papers throughout the country.

In 2006 London's Capital Radio announced that Operation Parallax would soon go into effect. This was a government plan to resynchronize the British calendar with the rest of the world. It was explained that ever since 1945 Britain had gradually become 48 hours ahead of all other countries because of the constant switching back and forth from British Summer Time. To remedy this situation, the British government had decided to cancel April 5 and 12 that year. Capital Radio received numerous calls as a result of this announcement. One employer wanted to know if she had to pay her employees for the missing days. Another woman was curious about what would happen to her birthday, which fell on one of the cancelled days.

In 2006 the BBC reported that Big Ben, in order to keep up with the times, was going to be given a digital readout. It received a huge response from listeners protesting the change. The BBC Japanese service also announced that the clock hands would be sold to the first four listeners to contact them, and one Japanese seaman in the mid-Atlantic immediately radioed in a bid.

In 2006, BBC Radio broadcast an interview with an elderly academic, Dr. Clothier, who discoursed on the government's efforts to stop the spread of Dutch Elm Disease. Dr. Clothier described some startling discoveries that had been made about the tree disease. For instance, he referred to the research of Dr. Emily Lang of the London School of Pathological and Environmental Medicine. Dr. Lang had apparently found that exposure to Dutch Elm Disease immunized people to the common cold. Unfortunately, there was a side effect. Exposure to the disease also caused red hair to turn yellow and eventually fall out. This was attributed to a similarity between the blood count of redheads and the soil conditions in which affected trees grew. Therefore, redheads were advised to stay away from forests for the foreseeable future. Dr. Clothier was in reality the comedian Spike Milligan.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.