1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG drive wont read backup CD-RW

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by reaperX, Aug 17, 2004.

1. reaperX

reaperX Guest

Using the trial version of BlindWrite5 I've made a backup copy of Halo PC on my LG disc drive (it's name is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B). However, when I reinsert the disc into the same drive the game won't load, but it runs successfully in my Sony disc drive (name: SONY DVD RW DRU-510A). Can anyone tell me why this happens? Is there a way to make my LG drive read it?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Are you running the latest firmware for your LG?

3. reaperX

reaperX Guest

I'm not sure. If not, where can I get the latest firmware?

4. Nephilim

5. reaperX

reaperX Guest

The Nero Info Tool says my firmware version is 1.00. I went to the site you recommended for firmware downloads and found my drive with 4 different versions available (1.01, 1.02, 1.03, and 1.04). It says if I do something wrong I could ruin my drive so I want to be sure...do I download 1.04?

6. Nephilim

Hi,

It's a bit intimidating flashing a firmware the first time but a bad flash caused by anything other than human error is rare. Problems most often occur when someone tries to flash the wrong firmware (as in for a different drive) or can't follow simple instructions in which case the drive can be trashed. That being said I've done numerous flashes with nary a problem and I'm really bad at following directions :p

It's generally safest to go with an officail firmware from the maker's site so I found firmware 1.03 and detailed instructions at LG's site:

http://us.lgservice.com/gcsc/b2c/hpi/main

Is the drive fairly new?

7. reaperX

reaperX Guest

I tried the link in your last post but a "page unavailable" message came up. I then went to LG's site and eventually found the firmware for my drive. There is both ver. 1.03 you mentioned and directly above it ver. 1.04. If 1.04 is newer wouldn't it be better? If you still say go with 1.03 I will. I would assume my drive is new considering it came with a pc I purchased about a month ago. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

8. Nephilim

I must've missed the 1.04 version :p

The newest firmware is generally the best.

Don't be s stranger :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  9. reaperX

reaperX Guest

The instructions for installing the firmware are kinda complex to me and involve plugging the drive in a certain way and specifying it as slave or master. Is all of this necessary? I can't just install the stuff?

10. reaperX

reaperX Guest

Ok, I followed the instructions exactly and my firmware is now up to date, but it still won't play my backup. Could it be the cheap media I'm using?

11. Nephilim

Hi,

It could very well be the cheap media. Some good makes to try would be Verbatim or Maxell :)

12. reaperX

reaperX Guest

Thanks, I'll try one of those brands. This is off the topic but I was wondering something else, how do you change your member classification (like I'm a newbie and you're an AfterDawn Addict)?

13. Nephilim

Hi,

There's a thread on it somewhere but I can't find it.

Junior - 25 posts
    Member - 100 posts
    Senior - hundreds of quality posts, picked by mods/admins.
    Addict - you have no life or girlfriend and thousands of posts :)

14. reaperX

reaperX Guest

lol :) , one other thing...do you know of any freeware tools that can rip the image from game cd's, and do you prefer BlindWrite5 or Alcohol 120%?