1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG-DVD-ROM question

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Divinus, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I have an LG DVD-ROM (8X)that's about two years old now. I just wanted to ask those of you that have a similar drive; how loud does your drive get?

Mine used to be quiet (from what I can remember) but lately with CDs or DVDs it sounds like a damned diesel engine starting up. It sounds like it's spinning the CD/DVD so fast it's about to explode. It also shakes my case when it's doing this. Makes a low pitch kind of... reving up noise and continues this while it's reading any CD/DVD heavily.

I don't see any problems with it reading material. I have an NEC 3500A that I just got and from the looks of it, it has problems reading DVDs that are scratched. I went to burn the movie "Identity" (which was scratched pretty bad) and the 3500A just froze up reading it around 8%. I popped the same DVD in my LG-DVD and it did it's Mack Truck impersenation and read the entire DVD with blazing speed.

The big question is: Is this a sign that it's going bad? or... is it typical for this noise to happen with these models?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Jun 29, 2004
    sounds like some calibration problems. it could very well be going bad. we'll see what others say...