1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LG] HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B Problems

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by StAmAtIs, May 5, 2004.

1. StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs Guest

I needed a new DVD-Rom drive for my PC to reformat my computer. So I got this drive for $47 AUS because I heard good things about it. When I put it in everything was OK. Then I started to install Windows XP but some of the files would not copy over, so I had to skip them to get passed them. Then when I got to the actual Windows XP setup after the formatting stage it keeps coming up with file errors. I tried this out on my cousin's computer and it works fine so it is not the disc.

I finally managed to install it but I had to skip a lot of files and exchanging XP discs because I have 2 copies. Now when I install things like Office 2000 and Halo and other stuff it stops during installation and says:

"Setup failed to extract file from E:what ever folder####.cab. This is mostly caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or a corrupted file cabinet."

Like I said before I also tried installing this on my cousin's computer and it worked no problems.

This error only comes up when it gets to (.cab) files. Can someone please help me because if its the DVD Drive I'm going back to Pioneer :D.

DVD movies work perfect by the way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2004
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Go back to the Pioneer and dont look back. :)

3. Wacka

Wacka Guest

I just bought that same drive and it's rubbish. Nero has problems with it like unable to copy movies in DVD format, I put the same movie in the burner for nero to read and it copied without any problems.
    LG in Korean must mean 'Good Luck'!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Lite On LTD-166S - the best $30 you'll ever spend :)

5. StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs Guest

I replaced the crappy LG with a:
    Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616E

This thing absoulutely goes through anything and the speed is amazing and the DVD's play 100% perfect!

I would rate this up there with the Pioneer 106S!

This is the best drive I've gotten so far as well as the Pioneer 106S but I have a feeling that this Samsung will last longer!

Only $48.00 AUS