1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightscribe labels come out too light

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by zumby, Feb 12, 2006.

1. zumby

zumby Guest

Can somebody help? I have only been using lightscribe with Nero StartSmart for a few days.

I am trying to do full disc labels with an imported photo. It is working but it is coming out WAY too light.

I see a radio button for contrast where you can select Normal or Best, but it is done by default and doesnt let me choose.

I have tried a color image and then a black and white but it still came out very light.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Johnytuon

Johnytuon Member

Hi
    im sure i read in a review (of a Lite on) that they did the lightscribe twice.Also it might help making the image over contrasty?
    Hope this helps
    John

3. zumby

zumby Guest

john,

I am not sure what you mean here...what do you mean by making it over contrast?

Also not sure about doing it twice? Do you mean burn it once and then burn it again right over the same image?

Surely, there must be a way to do it only once.

By the way, I mis-spoke. I have NOT done a BW image. It has been color both times.

4. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Contrast is the Diferent Shades of a color ... Gray , Dark Gray Etc..
    I think he means make the contrast darker .

Contrast : In visual perception, contrast is the difference in visual properties that makes an object (or its representation in an image) distinguishable from other objects and the background.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  5. zumby

zumby Guest

Yes, but my initial question was HOW to make the contrast darker?

It doesnt let me choose.

6. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Crap, I'll look around and see if I can find a fix .. What brand of LightScribe burner is it ?

7. zumby

zumby Guest

HP

Thanks!

8. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Call HP or E-Mail there support and ask them . I tried to read the PDF manual for the DVD writer and there is nothing , it's only like 2 pages and it does'nt mention anything about the Color of the image while burning with lightscribe .. P.S. Thier FAQ's have no info either :(

9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

If you are using the Print Lightscribe Label option in Nero, go to the file tab and select "preferences". This will show up, and here is where you can set your program defaults.
    [​IMG]
    I always set mine to BEST and change the DPI to 600 or higher.
    Also i found that putting an image on the disc gave me low contrast, but if used it as a "background properties image" it came out better.
    To get to the background properties right click on the label portion and select "background properties". There you can load your image and it will look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    If you have already done/tried this, then there isnt much else i can think of. I know lightscribe is coming out with new media that is supposed to provide much better contrast, and come in different disc colors, but it will not print a label in total color.

10. zumby

zumby Guest

That sounds like a good start, EXCEPT...

I do not have the lightscribe option on my preferences

It looks just like the image you show, except after the undo i DO NOT have the Lightscribe tab.

This is very strange since when i burn my CDs with startsmart, before it even starts burning it asks me to create my image and then it burns the cd, then asks me to flip it over and do the lightscribe label.

So why would i not have that tab in preferences?

11. rwp2084

rwp2084 Member

Increasing contrast probably won't help too much if your original picture already has good contrast when viewed on your monitor. The nature of Lightscribe is that it just does not image with much contrast--not much difference between 0% black (white) and 100% black. A second burn will help out a lot, but be prepared to wait about 1 hour for both burns. Any that you've burned only once can be burned again if you saved your Lightscribe file. It will burn EXACTLY on top of the old one.

If you are starting with a color picture you should convert to grayscale, then adjust contrast.

12. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I ment the preferences in nero after you have gone here first. You should see this in your EXTRAS tab on start smart if you have an LS drive:
    [​IMG]

after that, it should open up the LS printing software, and under it's preferences is the stuff shown in the prior post. I hope thats what you mean..
    **edit**
    Now i see what you mean, i think you need to either uninstall your burner driver so the nero software can see you have an LS drive and give you that option, or update the LS portion of nero as you may have an older version that doesnt see your drive as an LS capable drive, and Nero hides the LS part for everyone who doesn't have an LS drive. Just doesnt give you the option.
    I cant seem to find the LS drivers in there but it is included in the Nero cover designer which is included in the dl package.