1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightscribe woes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joniskaos, Sep 11, 2007.

1. JVC

JVC Active member

I've read that if you change a color picture, to black & white, you'll get a much better looking lightscribed image. The color image tends to wash out some, when you burn a lightscribe image from it.

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I've heard that too but haven't done a comparison. I've also heard that some of the lightscribe lableling programs do the conversion automatically. DVDs will be murkier than CDs because the Lightscribe layer is deeper within the disc than the CDs.

Storage is also an issue and I've recently found the following on the Lightscribe.org website:

LightScribe Label Fades when Stored in PVC Sleeves

Date logged: NA
    Known Affected Platform: ALL
    Symptom: LightScribe labels fade in a short period of time with a visible white powder coating.
    Cause: The LightScribe label chemistry may react with some common materials. Among them is PVC commonly used in storage sleeves of CD/DVD binders and wallets. The other chemicals to keep away from your LightScribe discs are Vitamin E, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), and alcohols. The last items are common in many hand lotions and hair care products.
    Recommended Resolution: Do not store your LightScribe discs in PVC sleeves. You can easily tell PVC by its strong "Plastic" smell. Store your LightScribe discs in Polypropylene, Mylar, or Tyvek sleeves. These do not have any obvious odors. Also, keep your LightScribe discs away from hand lotions and hair care products. We recommend storing your LightScribe discs either in the original storage spindles or in individual jewel cases. Also avoid excessive heat (as seen inside cars in summer time) and direct sunlight to maintain the label and data side integrity of the LightScribe discs.
    Known versions affected: NA

How many manufacturers of wallets disclose what the sleeves are made of? I've personally experienced this with discs visably fading withing 3 months.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. piddlekin

piddlekin Member

My encounter with "internal errors..." is only when I'm attempting to label CD's (which seem to be thinner than DVD's). I've found that, most of the time, if I keep retrying, eventually it'll go.

Here's my take. There are two errors, one is this:
    That error, I believe, shows up the most often and means the software can't get the coded CD to sync up. It needs to sync so if you reburn, the label will overlap perfectly. Making sure that center hub (where the CD is encoded) is clean may help. Or, as I said, enough retries sometimes does the trick as well.

The other error says "An internal error has occured...". That one, I believe, probably shows up when an initial sync is successful, but a subsequent one fails.

It'd be nice if one could bypass all this synchronization stuff and be given the option to "burn anyway", asychronously. For those who only burn once, I'm betting it would work out just fine.

4. cell34

cell34 Member

I agree with what was mentioned above. I have the exact same error: "4231" and all I had to do to fix it was take the disc out, and clean off a little smudge that was on the inside ring. So cleaning the disc might fix the problem. It did for me.

5. mehrdad1

mehrdad1 Member