1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

like others in wmp 10 video is blank plz check and help

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by vampelle, Dec 24, 2005.

1. vampelle

vampelle Member

ok
    this is the first time i heard of ratdvd and downloaded the movie and well since than till now i still cant play it.. the only things i can hear the sound but no video
    i have checked all the post and mostly everyone seem to have same problem, expect some are luck to be able play it.
    i have tried most of things in the forum but still no luck.

Now i have no idea which codec are needed to play ratdvd format.
    i have installed ratdvd program, rat attacker, ffdshow, avicodec, divx codec, vlc program.
    "the movie i have downloaded is ewoks battle of endor"
    cant someone please explain what codec are needed.

also with window media classic still no luck in wmp10 error with codec.

my system;
    intel p4 1.8 ghz 520 mb ram built on board sound and video card.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Try a player called Media Player Classic. It looks like the old WMP, but I think it can play .ratdvd files. I think you have all the requirements for it, just mess around with it until it starts working.

3. vampelle

vampelle Member

have tried the media player classic. no luck
    and in my brother system, it played with only ratdvd software and no other codec.

4. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Sorry, I don't know how ratDVD works, so I can't help you out. You said that another computer can play it? Check what that computer has and see if you can use it to play that file. If nothing else works, it could be that that copy is corrupt, and you should look for another version, possibly in a different format.

5. machopie

machopie Member

Here is what I have done and no-one replied yet to my thread but try it and see if it works for you.

#1 uninstall ratDVD and all current codecs and codec packs.

#2 get the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. Make sure it enables XviD as a Direct Show Filter otherwise a VFW (FFDSHOW) will take it's place which isn't a direct show filter thus incompatibility with ratDVD.

#3 get the Satsuki Codec Pack. Use advance install and only install the ratDVD decoders.

Why do this? Here is the skinny, first removing all codecs cleans the registry a bit. Second K-Lite installs all the codecs that you can possibly encounter, it checks for broken codec links and it uses a version of Media Player Classic with ratDVD support. Third Satsuki gives you all the files needed to play ratDVDs and registers them thus you do not need to install ratDVD which I suspect does a botch setup on some computers and you can never fix the problem without re-installing windows. If everything works then it seems you are like me with a botched ratDVD installation and the fact your XviD codec is not setup as Direct Show thus FFDShow takes over instead rendering XviD in VFW mode. I further suspect that ratDVD, although the homepage for ratDVD denies this, has some kind of bearing on XviD's Direct Show code and if the creator of ratDVD ever publishes the source to his codec on-line we might see his how his codecs work thus a VFW like FFDShow could render it stopping headaches like these.

6. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Uhh, the D in FFDShow stands for Direct. It should work just as well with XviD, it's just a replacement for it if you want to save some CPU usage when watching these formats.

K-Lite Codec Pack is a good program to use when you have a loss of codecs, and I would take machopie's advice in how to set that up. In fact, the XviD install is more than likely the VfW, that's how you use it as an encoder in Virtual Dub Mod.

You still have to take into account that ratDVD is still a beta, it's not going to work for everybody in every situation. Just try to find your answer in as many ways as possible.

7. machopie

machopie Member

Oh yeah XviD is VfW (but it has to be DS in some fashion...) but anyways I believe ratDVD needs the original XviD codec and not FFDShow which uses free libraries for it's decoding (libraries made from source code for Mac OS and Lunix). It would be really interesting to me to see that XEB really functions off of XviD in some fashion if ratDVD ever publishes XEB's code. But like I said try setting up XviD codec as default. If you don't wanna re-install everything in just go to FFDShow's Video config and make sure the decoder for XviD is set to disabled (assuming you have XviD installed it will render the video and you won't get an error).

8. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Well, if ratDVD does use an alteration to the original XviD algorithms, then it would make sense to use XviD instead of FFDshow. Is it really just a DVD-type version of XviD? How come they never said anything about that, and how did you come to know about it? Sorry, I'm just a litte curious.

If that is the case, then I would follow what machopie says to the letter, vampelle. He obviously knows what he's talking about, and has more prior knowledge about this than I do. It's great that people like you are able to come here and give us direct answers like that.

9. xact

xact Member

Installing Satsuki worked for me.

Before installing Satsuki I could only encode. Playback didn't work.

I only did the Satsuki step in the instructions Rikoshay gave (I didn't feel like uninstalling Theatertek, ffdshow, AviSynth... etc).

Upon examining the Satsuki folder I found the ratDVD codec files with older dates. I also noticed Satsuki put itself first in User Path variable so any search for the codec would use the Satsuki version over the installed ratDVD version.

Maybe this issue is just a bug that crept into the latest and greatest?

Satsuki Package (3.0.0.3)
    ======================
    TRLDRP6.ax 2005-06-02
    xebdec.ax 2005-08-25
    xebnavigation.ax 2005-09-06
    DVDNavExt.exe 2005-09-02

ratDVD 0.78
    ======================
    TRLDRP6.ax 2005-10-21
    xebdec.ax 2005-12-02
    xebnavigation.ax 2005-12-05
    DVDNavExt.exe 2005-12-05

10. machopie

machopie Member

I knew it! So it has to be botched installs maybe? Well at least this forum has some kind of answer for people reporting ratDVDs not functioning on their computer. So xact does your playback of ratDVD files show any FFDShow icons in your systray?

I've looked at the DLLs for ratDVD and they only use Direct Show filter references. I only think that XviD and XEB are related to a degree, like I have said before he has post-poned the source code for his codec and yet on the ratDVD homepage he states it was from scratch and doesn't use XviD or x264 in any way which is kinda hard to believe given it's good compression and re-convert properties. This is all a theory but I believe it's the botched installs it does sometimes are to blame for playback issues.

11. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

You should include this thread as a link in your sig so other people could know about it.

Or, you could write a short guide on another thread explaining this and how to solve this problem.

12. xact

xact Member

no ffdshow icon when playing a ratDVD

I made sure the icon shows up for mp4/mpeg2/ and DVDs

I uninstalled Satsuki and that broke ratDVD playback even worse. Now it would throw an error about DVD Navigation not loading.

I had to re-install ratDVD and that got be back to the original playback issue. I played with environment settings to see if it was something easy. No luck. I added ratDVD's XEB and Navigation folder to the path. I manually registered all the ratDVD components (regsvr32). Nothing.

In the end, I re-installed Satsuki (again just the ratDVD part) and everything started working again.

At this point I would tend to suspect that one of the bug fixes in the last build around playback needs regression on a variety of boxes. It could even be an upgrade bug. Has anyone upgraded from an older version (September timeframe) and experienced the issue?

[Edit: I wrote 'not experienced' and I meant 'experienced']

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  13. tntuof

tntuof Member

Also to let you know (this is so great thread btw) about the Ati Tray Tools problems people have been having. I am now encoding a test file of my very own, and have mailed Splinter (@ratdvd.dk) to inform about this thread and the problems. Also he asked me to find a test/demo file to add to the site, when I told him that to be useful. So anyone of you got material to show off/test ratDVD?

(edit: typos)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006