1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit Bandwidth on Router???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jay05, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'm on a router with a couple of other guys. Is it possible to limit how much bandwidth they use?

2. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

AFAIK you'll need hardware that's substantially more sophisticated than a standard router.

Although, I'm sure there's a way to setup a linux server to limit bandwidth to certain workstations on the network.

3. elokito

elokito Regular member

SkyLynx? what? make a linux serv just to "limit bandwith" i dnt know what cheap router u have seen that u cant limit bandwith

Jay05 what router do u have?

4. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

This was discussed on Tom's Hardware:
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/network/Bwidth-limiting-home-network-ftopict3322.html

They come to the same conclusion that I do. A stock router does not give you the option of limiting bandwidth by ip. So you can flash modded firmware to a linksys WRT54G or you can setup a very cheap linux server.

OR if you find that they're hogging bandwidth on P2P or torrents, then disable the ports.

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

on my stock linksys wrt54g i could limit other users bandwith

6. SkyLynx

SkyLynx Member

I'm very surprised by that... how would go about limiting bandwidth to individual users with you out-of-the-box WRT54G?

For that kind of functionality you need to flash to the Alchemy Firmware... AFAIK.