Limited or No Connectivity: ( help please )

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by thelad, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@thelad - no need to apologise, it's you that has the problem after all LOL

if we don't get this sorted by the time you go on holiday (lucky bugger!) then we sad acts will no doubt still be here working on yours and other posts :)

ps i've edited out some of your serial numbers etc, you never know what some sneaky oik can do with those. Will have to read your reply properly now and see if i can see anything. But obviously you're having at least some success as you were hooked up using another router.

i see a few things of interest in your latest reply -

- Basically, your PC communicates to the the router via a 192.168.x.x address.

- Gateway will be the 'gateway' of your internet provider ie your router's ability to 'see' Pipex. Those DNS addresses (Dynamic Name Services) are the crux of you connecting to the internet. (if the router can't communicate with Pipex, in turn it can't provide you access to Pipex's DNS addresses that your router needs to 'see' the internet).

Briefly, DNS (Domain Name Services) is/are what translates ip addresses (numbers; computers obviously work with numbers) into meaningful addresses, in my example i'm going to 'ping' www.google.com -
    - ignoring some of the boring bits in that output, the 'ping' command is able to translate google's ip address (in this instance 216.239.59.99 - there may be other addresses but i don't want to complicate things) into a meaningful webpage address, ie all that you, I and most people care about - a webpage for google on screen.

(as to that letter 'l' is in the www.l.google.com above, that's because there's much more to www.google.com than the one simple address, i imagine it's comprised of huge amounts of addresses; you and i only care that we can type in www.google.com and actually get there; in my example i was able to 'ping' www.google.com successfully i.e. we have access to the internet).

Hope that helps some for now; the next step may be to manually type various addresses you've provided here, into the original Belkin's config webpages; i say may as that Belkin might still be a pile of rubbish (for instance) and may not work anyway..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. thelad

thelad Member

Hi Creaky

Many thanks for getting back so soon

I see the error and i just checked what I was suppose to send but being intelligent and all that All i did was, I went Edit then Select ALL. followed by copy and Paste and inserted it into the mail, needles to say i did check it all b4 i sent it to you

So here goes again with the proper version ( I hope)

Borrowed Wirless Router

Status

Version Info
    Runtime Code Version V.A.1.04.03UK (Jan 6 2004 16:01:56)
    Boot Code Version V1.3C
    Hardware Version 01A
    Serial Num [removed]
    ADSL Modem Code Version 13.9.38

LAN Settings
    LAN MAC Address [removed]
    IP Address 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Enabled

Internet Settings

WAN MAC Address [removed]
    Cable/DSL CONNECTED
    WAN IP 88.???.???.???
    Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    Gateway 212.??.???.???
    Primary DNS 80.225.252.58
    Secondary DNS 80.225.252.50
    Features

Firewall Enabled
    Wireless Enabled
    SSID belkin54g
    WLAN MAC Address [removed]
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    UPnP Disabled

As they say its all double dutch to me, but i hope you can make head or tail of it all

Before I went back to the Speedtouch Moden to sent this

I tried the Belkin G+ MIMO Modem Router and low and behold it worked and I was busy sending this to you using that router
    I logged on to FireFox got into my mail box and got this reply from you

NO sooner had i finished reading what you wrote looked at the router Data light had gone OFF. went to log on with Firefox and tried Internet Explorer and saw then I lost connection

Went into windows explorer and got THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED

So its back the the speedtouch to sent this to you

Looking at the toolbar the the local area connection Icon appears with a yellow background warning triange with a black ! I get the following when I click on the icon

Local Area Connection Speed 100.0 Mbps Status : Limited or No Connectivity:

The network connection reads

Property Value

Physical Address [removed]

IP Address 169.254.156.191

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway

DNS Server

WNS Server

The last 3 there is NO Numbers once again I clicked on repair and got the same response as b4

Windows is taking the following action

Got reply

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed :
    Renewing your IP Address

For Assistance, Contact the person who manages your network

Does THAT MEAN I SHOULD contact my ip Address suplier in my case Pipex Homecall who i have just to from Pipex Xtreme Solo2Go

Anyway Creaky i hope what i have sent to you makes sense and you know what everything is about

Hope to hear from you soon

Once again many thanks for your time and effort in helping me

Take care

Jim

3. creaky

- the 169.254.x.x is an address you get when Windows fails to get a connection setup correctly; can be misleading and bloody confusing!

- that's due to my previous comment above

- not at all, this is purely because Windows has lost communication with the router.
    To simplify things (for myself also) there's two parts to this - Windows loses connection to the router, which in turn cuts off connection to the internet, so the loss of internet connectivity is secondary and the problem seems to be the router itself. This looks like exactly the same problem i was having for many months. Before i ditched my Belkins i even typed the various settings ie DNS addresses into the router's config, quite why i don't know as the damn routers were hanging up all the time anyway so it didn't make a scrap of difference. It really does look from what you're posting, that the router is crashing like mine was.

4. thelad

thelad Member

Thanks Creaky for your Mail

whats you advice please

Since I got from Pcworld and on my 3rd router I don't think they will take it back

Belkin said when I complained about the second router to return it to them so they can get it themselves

But as my good lady says "whats the piont if they get it working and i still cannot stay online it is of good to us" So hence i took it back to PCworld they got the lights on ( 6 OF THEM ) BUT and AND A BIG BUT PCWorld were not connected to the Intenet so they DID NOT SEE THE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE WHEN I TRY TO CONNECT, so I DON'T KNOW WHERE I STAND LEGALLY ABOUT TAKING IT and getting another make of router

My other options I was thinking since the computer is only 7 months was to re-boot the whole thing back to manifactures setting using the RECOVERY DISC, but why are the other desktop and laptop Not managing to get CONNECTED

But a million thanks for being generous with your time and trying to solve my prediciment Seems like i will have to wait till after my holiday to get it sorted as on Friday everything will be SWITCHED OFF AGAIN

Who knows maybe the rest for 2 weeks will cure the FAULT I very much doudt it

Please please take care and many many thanks for everything you suggested and if you think about a remote assistance might help
    what ever that is But i saw it somewhere lol

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I don't think i have ever typed so much and funny enough i have enjoyed the exchange with you even tho the problem is not solved

A BIG THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN

Be Safe

Jim

5. creaky

you just caught me, off home shortly but i'm simply going to request you take the Belkin back to PC World. it's just not worth the hassle it's giving you, and as you saw from my exact same situation, it's just not worth wasting any more of your time.

I've never had issue taking things back to PC World, in fact my 2 Belkins (and the Belkin USB wireless adapter which also crashed a lot) were from PC World. Just take it back (to PC World) as faulty (it honestly does seem to be). I'd recommend a Linksys wholeheartedly, they've not much in choice in PC World, you could go for D-Link, or Netgear but i'd recommend a Linksys.

I'll tell you a secret too; i bought a nice shiny Linksys (£90) from PC World - this replaced the Belkins. Walking back from the store i saw the exact same model Linksys in a trade-in games shop for £45 so i snapped that up and took the new one back to Linksys the very next day as faulty. Hadn't even used it but after all the hassle i had with the Belkins i didn't care, i got a top notch router for half the price, and still have a year's guarantee from the games shop (not that i think i'll need it); needless to say the Linksys (well i have two different Linksys routers) are faultless so far.

You're quite welcome, the worst that can happen is that you get a replacement router and still have disconnection problems, that could even be a sporadic line fault. My girlfriend's line has this issue still (she has a narrowboat and the line disconnects frequently but only ever in wet or windy weather). I'll be back online in an hour so will look out for your replies. Hopefully you'll have gone to PC World and come back with a decent router by then LOL

6. josh99

josh99 Regular member

thelad are you using a broadband connection connected to your router?

7. thelad

thelad Member

many many thanks for your reply Creaky

I think i will have to wait till i get back from my hols b4 i take a trip to PCWORLD

The phone line was checkd a few years back and the line from the house to the pole outside was replaced So i am hoping that all is OK in that department

Can you please send me the details of the Linksys you have then if i have any problems with that you can help sort them out of just WELLY it with a BIG HAMMER lol

The best place to buy the Linksys also the make== model ==== how much roughly the cost

i am not very keen on getting stuff online or from E-Bay

Do i get a FREE NARROWBOAT if I said that YOU reckomened Linksys to ME

I will keep in touch and let you know how i get on

thanks once again

Take Care and Be safe

AaaaaaaWwwwwwww the best

Jim

8. creaky

Jim, one of my Linksys's is the WAG54GS, which is one of their 125mps ('speedbooster') models (they have far too many models to choose from in my opinion). (My other Linksys is a cable modem as we're still on cable while we wait for normal broadband to be connected). Here's what i've found for PC World -

Linksys -
    they obviously do the WAG54GS, also the WAG354G, i think that's the 54mbps version of the WAG54GS, not sure though as they have too many models as i say.

D-Link -
    they do the DSL-604T; i think the 604T is basically a wireless version of the 504T which i still have (the 504T is an awesome router, have kept mine as an emergency router). They also do the DSL-904 (which is simply a DSL-G604T with a wireless adapter, the DWL-922 (which is a simply a DI-524 with a wireless USB adapter). And they do a DSL-G624M which looks to be a MIMO router.

don't know hardly anything about Netgear hence why i recommend Linksys or D-Link.

i usually buy all my stuff online but with all my router problems it's worked well me buying from PC World/games shop for a change.

9. thelad

thelad Member

hithere creaky

Yes thers is more than a few routers on the market these days

Me, well i want one Thats Fast == Wireless so my wife and i can use the laptop anywhere within the house or garden == one thats Mutlitasking === easy to use and setup === with free tech support if needed both online or by phone basically the same specs as the G+ MIMO Modem Router BUT MORE REALIBLE

Is that possible !!!! I will go on to Pcworld website when i have wrote to you and see what they have to offer for my needs ( don't think i am asking to much Am I ) my main concern is keeping my good Lady happy as she like to use the Laptop for her banking and just browsing when she wants to find anything out and is about a 3 hour a week or even less user if that.
    As for me well i like to get on the pc when i can a everytime I am online is different and I am learning everytime i use the computer ( I wish they had them when i was at school, I may have went to school more often than i did LOL )for the world of computers fasinates me even tho i am hopeless at doing something

This one i have now i got on the 20 July 06 so its not even a month and i on my 3rd router

Anyway I think I will be taking this router back to Pcworld and get a diffent one tomorrow Thursday or my money back. Using Speedtouch is Fine but as you know you are limited where where you can use it or how many pc's you can run at the same time

Thanks again

I will have a browse at pcworlds wireless routers to see if i can find the one you recommend

Be Safe and take care

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK THAT YOU DO FOR GUYS A GIRLS LIKE ME

AaaaaWwwwwwwwwwwww the Best

Jim

10. creaky

hi, maybe that D-Link MIMO router is for you then, i don't know much about MIMO but my understanding is that it's 'unratified' or something, si i've stayed clear. this may help explain MIMO, (or may not, as i say i'm staying away so not really interested in it for now myself) - http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3463281

here's info on the D-Link MIMO router that PC World do - http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=385

see if that means anything (looks nice). I did ponder buying that one myself or any of the other D-Links but i thought i'd try Linksys (even though my D-Link has been a sterling performer on the narrowboat).

no problems, keep the questions coming, it's all good stuff :p

11. thelad

thelad Member

hi there creaky thanks for the link

at the site now thanks

just trying to find the UK prices and stores

be safe

take care
    Jim

12. navylover

navylover Guest

i had the same proble i would get a connetion on my ps2 and then when i loged in it would say it was disscanected i try to play socom and it will do that to me so if no one helps me i may give up.

13. creaky

14. thelad

thelad Member

hi creaky

Well did as you suggested and RETURNED THE ROUTER back to Pcworld and got the FULL refund. So i will start looking again when i come back from the States ror a decent router so if you dont mind i will be back to pick your brains and knowledge as to see what the best buys are

i leave tomorrow Friday so i will have a look when i am over there to see if they are cheaper only thing is will the routers be compatible over here in the UK

thanks a milliom for all your help and advice

have fun on the narrowboat take car and be safe

AAAAAAAAAaaaaWWwwwwwwwww the best

Jim

15. creaky

hey enjoy your holiday. i very much doubt an American router will work, not least due to the difference in telephone connectors..

Great news on refunding the crappy Belkin, enjoy your holiday and we'll be still here, oh woe is us :)

When you get back i'd just pick one from the list i wrote last night.

take care

16. thelad

thelad Member

Thanks Creaky guess i will NOT bother to shop around over there

good thinking about the telphone connections

i will send you a POSTCARD AND YOUR ON my christmas card list now lol

TAKE CARE

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww the best
    jim

17. navylover

navylover Guest

i see ppl doing it so i thought i can do that i didnt think of it haking a tread so sorry!

18. stans2

stans2 Member

right click on your wireless connection,click on properties,click on wireless network tab,check the box-use windows to configure my wireless network settings. maybe reboot.

19. creaky

@stans2 - you're about a month too late there fella, Jim just needs a new modem, which is being discussed in a new thread :)

20. thelad

thelad Member

@ Stan ==== Thanks Stan for taking time to give your input, like Cleaky said i am now looking for a new router in another thread

please look and give any opinions and what to look out forPlease
    --------------------------------------------------------
    @ Creaky ===== can you please CLOSE this thread for me or do i have to do myslef, if so how !!!

I am checking out this site any advice from you would be appreciated
    many thanks

http://www.misco.co.uk/categories/~1181~3~STOCKD~~0~0~~~/index.htm

the more i look and read confusing it can be

thanks once again

take care

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.