1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited or no connectivity =/

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by crutality, May 1, 2007.

1. crutality

crutality Member

Hello everyone, since 2 days i have trouble with my laptop to connect to the internet, but it is working on my other laptop.

I think this occured when i deleted a few files in my hard disk.
    But that might not be the reason.

I also tryed with an ethernet cable and another Wifi, but i got the same problem.

This is what i get when attempting to connect:

Limited or no connectivity
    The network did not assign a network address to the computer.

When i try to repair, it tells me that it can not renew my IP.

I am not very experienced in Informatik, and i really hope someone can help me :(

Regards,
    Crutality.

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

if using xp or win2k, try a system restore back to before the problem started.

3. crutality

crutality Member

sadly i dont have any windows cd atm :/

4. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

try assigning a static IP... that usually works for me... I hate those stupid messages...

go to network connection... right click wireless network and go to properties... from there highlight TCP/IP and click properties... Where it says "Obtain IP automatically) choose the manual option... give it a different IP address:

IP is usually something like : 192.168.0.101 (the last .1 can be changed to any higher value so try like .105 or something)
    Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

default gateway: usually 192.168.0.1 but yours maaaybe different

5. crutality

crutality Member

thx for the replys ; i talked to my ISP and he told me that it was from my pc, when i deleted i dunno what :/

He told me to perform a system restore, any1 can assist me on that ?

6. crutality

crutality Member

system restore didnt do anything , the problem is that my computer can not acces to my router

7. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

how are you connected to the router, wireless or netcable? use the same cable as the other laptop is using if using a cable as have found that those cables do go bye bye sometimes.

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

what router ?

try going to control panel and uninstalling your network cards then scan for hardware changes
    it may find your onboard card and put it back
    different routers use different ip addy's to access

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  9. crutality

crutality Member

its a livebox from Inventel.

10. crutality

crutality Member

what i conclude for now is that i deleted something by mistake, thinking it was some internet add program.

i dont have windows cd xp with me in france, or i would have reinstaled xp =/

So if any1 has any tip/sollutions, they are more than welcome :(, any way of uploading that program so i can download it to my pc?

11. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Ok I read through this thread.

The things i would suggest you may have already tried.

try going into your network properties on XP that shows you all you connections on you laptop.

Then go into your properties of your wireless connection and remove the wireless network that maybe listed there. Then hit ok and get the laptop to detect the network again and then if it detects then try to connect to it again. If it connects all well and good if it connects and still gives you limited connectivity errors.

go into command prompt and type in:

C:\ipconfig /all

See all your network configuration and see what it says for your wireless connection. If it is connected it will have your I.P address there and a bunch of other stuff. If it does not it will say media disconnected.

If that is the case then try uninstalling the or repairing the drivers etc..

You may want to try this before that last suggestion though. You can then in DOS. after you see all your network configuration type in.

ping 192.1**** (which is your I.P address for your router)

See if you get a reply you should get something either like packets received or if it does not work the msg would say the host is unreachable.

Then test your modems response.

By doing the same ping command with your modems address could be like:

ping 10.0.0.***

You should get the same msg either packets recieved or unreachable.

If you get packets received on both your router and modem then type:

ping www.google.com (thats for e.g. it could be any site you wish to see if you get a response and if you get a positive packets received msg that is exactly like when you pinged with your I.P addresses you are connected to the net and then go back to your browser and type in www.google.com and if it works you should see the Google page.

I hope that helps keep me posted on your progress.