1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

line 6 spider 2-need help please

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hadas1, Feb 15, 2006.

1. hadas1

hadas1 Member

I bought for my son 10 months ago in Costa Rica ( the country that we lived) an AMP- Line 6 Spider 2 as a birthday present as he plays an electrick guitar
    When we bought it- we were informed it could work on 110-220 W.
    as we came to Europe- we tried to connect it to the 220 W and it was blow!!!!
    We contacted the store in costa rica and they could not help us with the part that was burn as stopes to work with line 6 ...
    So we called the company in the states and they gave me an answer that ....they do not help me....... and i should contact a dealers
    i tries 68 dealers in the states and also about 50 in europe- the answer i got from all of them was they are sorry but can not help me.... and it is well knowen line 6 make problems with parts.....
    Is one of you know where can i buy this part??
    The part that we are looking for is:
    Power Unit IC TDA 9273

my son got a new AMP 10 months ago and never used it!!!!!
    I do thank in advance to your help
    Hadas

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. hadas1

hadas1 Member

sorry for the mistake- did not see can not add my web adress
    No- there is no dealer that can help as all said do not work anymore with line 6( i spoke with more then 100 dealers around the world !!)
    thanks for the line 6 website- but ///they do not want to help either!! all they said is to find a dealer....
    thanks anyway-will try to find another help

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello hadas1. I received a message from mackdl asking me to take a look at your post to see if I could possibly help.

I am a music teacher and while I'm not the least bit knowledgeable of electrical circuitry and the like, I do know people who are and I will try to get some information for you.

Hadas, did you bring it into a repair shop for someone to look at it; how do you know that "Power Unit IC TDA 9273" needs to be replaced; who told you that?

First, did you check the obvious...did you look at the amplifier's fuse or curcuit breaker? These are located usually on the back of the unit...most use a fuse. It would be located under a black cap about three quaters of an inch in diameter. Under this cap will be a small glass cylinder about an inch long with a silver cap at each end. There is a silver or gold filament from one silver cap to the other. If there is a break in this filament, the fuse needs to be replaced. You or your son probably looked at this already but I thought I'd mention it...sometimes its easy to miss the obvious.

Unless your amplifier is still under warranty, you don't need a dealer to make such repairs...any reputable audio repair shop will do (and even some TV repair shops). I know that doesn't sound right but its true if its a good repair shop and not just some fly by night operation. The theory and electronics of amplification is a constant for the most part and rather straight forward. I will show your post to some people I know and see what they have to say...Gerry

5. hadas1

hadas1 Member

Gerry!!
    Thanks for yor reply
    so i will tell you what i know
    we bought the amp in costa rica - we live there also part of the year
    we asked when i bought it if it should work in 110- and 220 and they checked and said for sure
    anyhow it did not- the main problem is no one in costa rica and Israel work with line 6 anymore due to service problems
    i contacted the company in the states and they did not want to help- and sent me to dealers- untuil today??no dealer could help

i gave it to an israeli teq workshop- they can not help me as have no parts for line 6 and they told me what part i need
    and now ?? i am stuck
    so thanks a lot if you will be able to help- i do thank you a lot in advance and any help will be appreciated very much from a sad mother and a pissed off boy

thanks gerry waitting to your reply!!!!!

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello Hadas!

1)Hadas, which Spider 2 did you buy; there are several models.
    2)When did you buy this amplifier?
    3)Where do you live now ... city and country.

I'll make some calls and do my best to help. Can't guarantee anything but I'll try....Gerry

7. hadas1

hadas1 Member

Dear-
    First- THANKS A LOT FROM MY HEART!!!!!!!

THE MODEL IS :
    line 6 spider II 112 AMPLIFIER-75 WATTS 1X12

UNTIL THE END OF APRIL I AM STAYING IN ISRAEL IN MY CITY NAME HOD HASHARON ( DO NOT TRY TO PRONAOUNCE IT...) AND AFTER I AM GOING BACK TO COSTA RICA- THERE I LIVE IN SANTA TERESA DE COBANO

I BOUGHT THE AMP. ABOUT 7 MONTHS AGO IN COSTA RICA (IN SAN JOSE )
    THEY DO NOT WORK ANYMORE WITH LINE 6 DUE TO THAT KIND OF PROBLEMS
    I DO THANK YOU AGAIN AS I NEARLY GAVE UP .
    HAVE A NICE WEEKEND !!!!!
    HADAS

8. ghost640

ghost640 Member

I've had this very same amp for about a year now and love it. I have a sense that Line 6 is a pretty good company, although this is the only thing I've bought from them.

I've also toasted a number of electronics on various trips to Europe! But if your Coasta Rican store told you that the amp would handle 220 and it doesn't (obviously) - they gave you some bad (really bad) advice, and they are the ones to go after. Ignore their nonsense about 'service issues', it's not the amp that was defective!

You could ask adealer to order the part (that's not too outlandish) - you might be able to install it yourself, these things aren't too complicated. (I assume you did check the fuse as suggested above - that is what fuses are for, but 220 is a lot of juice).

If I recall, this is a pretty economical amp (I think I paid $250-300, something like that). The cost of shop time, shipping and parts will be at least half of that - sooo... (you don't want to hear this).

Chalk this up to experience and get your son another one! Hang on to the old one at at some point you'll probably run into someone who can fix it.

Tough situation, I can imagine the excitement of getting a new amp and having it blow when you turn it on, poor kid.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

BTW - I've got the amp paired up with a '52 blond Telecaster (reissue, but it's a beauty) Its a great combo!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  9. hadas1

hadas1 Member

THANKS A LOT TO ALL OF YOU!! I DO APPRECIATE ALL YOUR ADVICES!!!! WHAT I AM GOING TO DO -IS AS YOU SAID- BUY INTHE COMING FUTUR ANOTHER NEW AMP BUT NOT OF LINE 6!! THEIR SERVICE WAS REALLY......BAD
    I ASKED ANOTHER TEQ HERE AND HE SAID HE CAN NOT FIX IT AS THIS PART THAT WAS BLOW- HAVE SOMETING HE CAN NOT FIX IT AND I NEED A NEW ONE
    THANKS A LOT GUYS!! AT LAST I UNDERSTOOD MY SITUATION!!!!!
    HAVE A NICE WEEKEND AND KEEP ON PLAYING MUSIC!!!!!
    YOURS
    HADAS

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

HI hadas. My apologies but I've contacted a couple of friends but haven't yet heard anything from them. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgable of the subject. Hopefully, I'll hear from them; its unlike them not to respond.

11. hadas1

hadas1 Member

THANKS A LOT DEAR!!!!! FOR ALL!!!
    AT LAST I DECIDED TO BUY ANOTHER AMP(NOT LINE 6!!!!) AND THIS TIME A USED ONE AS HAVE NO MONEY......BUT THANKS FOR ALL!!!!
    HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!
    HADAS