1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line-in Recordin problem - Help please....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by seetha, Aug 18, 2004.

1. seetha

seetha Member

Hi there...
    Im usin MusicMatch Jukebox (v 9) and im havin problems with the "line-in recordin" feature...
    I've been tryin to convert some dear old tracks from audio cassettes to mp3...and i seem to be stuck...help me out please
    like, i got the right type of cable, plugged into blue line-in socket in my machine...
    i can HEAR whatever i play in my external player, in my computer speaker...so im guessin the cable is not the problem
    In the (system tray) volume control, under the advanced properties i made sure the line-in box is checked in the "adjust volume for" RECORDING, in addition to PLAYBACK
    so far so good...
    The problem starts when i try to record stuff...i set the recorder source to line-in in the MusicMatch Jukebox settings (as reccomended in "line-in recording" help section).
    Next, im supposed to click the "burn to cd" button...and the "BurnerPlus" window pops up as promised...FROM HERE I GET LOST...
    Im able to select & burn only tracks already in my pc - NOT FROM THE LINE-IN SOURCE...infact, there is no indication that burnerplus is even aware of the line-in source( which is active-i can still hear it)
    SO...WHATS WRONG ? am i missin somethin basic here ?
    In the "Sounds & Audio devices properties" from control panel, under the "Audio" tab, SimaTel Audio is the "default device" for both Sound playback and Sound RECORDING

The sound card - im not too sure about this, but i think im usin Sigmatel C-Major audio (thats the one that shows up in the list of devices on the "hardware" tab) - do i need some kinda extra sound card to be able to do line-in recordin?

whats the problem..its jus over my head and i cant fiure anythin out...

help me out please...

thanx guys...

seetha

2. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

Personally i would record the line in source to wav on your hard drive - then using a clean up app, take out the "noise" and then convert to MP3 and burn

im not familiar with musicmatch jukebox - but trying to all that in one process is probably where the problem lies.

maybe im wrong =)

Es

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Wrong :-(
    Es is correct, you need to record to Redbook-standard PCM WAV files on your HD.
    A simple program that does this (and more!) is CDex, check it out:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/cd-da_extractors/cdex.cfm
    It is a little-known fact that CDex can record from analog input (ie. your line in) ;-)
    Regards

4. seetha

seetha Member

thanx for the tips guys..

i found somethin much better...i dumped the jukebox.

check it out if u wanna do analog tapes to mp3(or wav)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

lean, clean and totally robust...and ofcourse TRUE freeware, like always from sourceforge...

cheers

5. tonymc

tonymc Member

im useing wave lab but would like 2 try musicmatch how good is it and dose it only convert 2 mp3

6. seetha

seetha Member

yes i think so...

u can vary the output format(mp3,wav)as well as the bitrate(58,126) in Musicmatch

fact is, i didnt use musicmatch for more than two days...what i was really lookin for was a tool to capture& record from real-time line-in sources...i jus stumbled on musicmatch...

BUT, once i found the Audacity(which does exactly what i wanted) i dumped musicmatch(which does a whole lot of other things that im not interested in)

Bottomline -YES MUSICMATCH IS A GOOD SOFTWARE... but i cant say what are the feautres u r expecting...most probably u WILL find what ur lookin for in MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX

seetha

7. EsirnuS

EsirnuS Guest

Tonymc

what are you currently using Wave Lab for that you wish to use Musicmatch for ?