1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line of asterisks appears mysteriously

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kafka, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

This is a problem which has occurred off and on over the last few weeks. When I place the cursor in a cell (whether it is in Excel or the Google search engine or anywhere else) a line of asterisks appears in the cell as though I were continually pressing the asterisk key. I cannot stop the cell from filling with asterisks. I have found that if I move the wireless keyboard mouse plug-in from one USB socket in my computer and move it to another the problem is fixed, however this now happens with two of the USB sockets and * have had to move it to another one. Is this a problem with my wireless keyboard/mouse or with my computer?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It suggests there is contact between the key & the board of the keyboard that is completing the connection as tho you were pressing on it.Check key isn't slightly sunken compared to other keys or the silicone membrane isn't sunken (checking sunken silicone membrane requires keyboard top removal)

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I realized that this happens when the batteries in the keyboard are running low. The problem disappears when I replace the batteries. Unfortunately the batteries only last for a couple of weeks so I have replaced the keyboard and mouse.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Hopefully, not with the same brand.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

only use wireless keyboard every now & then with rechargeable EverReady batts (lithium ion AAA) they last for a while,the mouse is used everyday & the rechargables last for more than a month,i'm now in the habit of charging the batts every 3 days,even the 360 controller battery lasts for ages (with vibe disabled).Two weeks seems very short

6. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I replaced the Microsoft keyboard/mouse with a Logitech keyboard/mouse. The new keyboard has an auto sleep function and, like the mouse, can also be switched off. The keyboard batteries are supposed to last two years and the mouse battery on year.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

batteries should stay charged for that long,it's a hassle to recharge them..lol..