1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linspire problem on an old laptop

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Coxy_69, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Coxy_69

Coxy_69 Member

My laptop that i found again in my loft is:
    P3 700MHZ 128Mb Ram 20GB Hard drive with dvd drive.

My problem is this: when i run Windows XP the laptop does not go into hibernation, yet whenever i boot linspire (live or Native) it constantly hibernates every minute. Any way i can sort this out, im guessing its a hardware conflict but i am a noob with linux, hence i thought i would start with lindows, erm i mean linspire to gradually become profecient at Linux. Any ideas????

2. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

3. Coxy_69

Coxy_69 Member

i am still getting the same problem, i second checked and it is a P3 1GHZ. It is an ADVENT and someone else told me about their hibernation problem and suggested i change the bios. However this is a second-hand laptop and the bios password is unknown. After googling i got no joy, can anyone help with this password issue? If i can solve the hibernation problem i will be well chuffed.
    Please advise

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

6. Coxy_69

Coxy_69 Member

Ok, Fed up now with my bloody BIOS. So i have scratched the whole "it may be in the bios thing".
    I have also binned LINSPIRE as my Linux choice. I am now trying an evaluation copy of LINUX XP (its Red hat build-Fedora Core) and my system has not hibernated. So far so Good. So now i am going to try Gentoo as i have a varient of that running on my XBOX (which is cool in a geeky kinda way) and see if it is just linspire being weird on the Laptop. Cheers for the links, they have been preserved in my "help i need help Folder".
    I have also tried Video-Linux, but that was just a Live-CD and it was well weird, Knoppix Runs of Live but not Native (Really Weird). Will inform of how differnt distros run on my crappy Laptop

7. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

VideoLinux and Knoppix both install off the Live CD.

What do you mean by them being weird?

BTW> VideoLinux is still in an Alpha stage.

8. Coxy_69

Coxy_69 Member

They made my screen go all funny, thats why i mean weird, but it looks like any Fedora-core based linux is stable and does not hibernate on it. So do you know any good ones (linux XP does not have a terminal and you are always logged in as root)

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

have a look at the 2 links i provided, a few of us are still discussing similar things in those...

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Sounds like a graphics driver. Did you try updating?

By this do you mean other Distros?