1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux and windoze on raid 0

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by d3r, May 26, 2006.

1. d3r

d3r Member

Hey if anyone can help me with this before i start that would be great

I'm planing on reinstalling windoze and linux because the partitions got currupted. i fixed that but some things are too buggy so i'm gonna start from scratch...here's what i plan to do as far as partitions

2 hard drives [160gb each] raid 0 = 1 hard drive...(different brands 1's a seagate (stock) and the 2nd's a western digital (after market) in a dell demension pc)

100 mb boot partition (boot loader) <---this has to be here
    200 GB windoze partition <---this has to be here
    2gb swap partition <-----|
    ---these are interchangeable
    118 gb linux partition <-|

The reason for the order is when i need to use the XP Pro install CD it won't work if there's a non windoze partition before the true windoze partition. this way if i need to repair windoze i can just delete the data on the 100mb boot partition, repair windoze, then use a back up disk to reinstall the boot sector and reset to be the active partition.

here's a quick summary of what i am using

Windoze XP Pro SP2
    Fedora Core 5
    160GB segate caviar HDD
    160 GB western digital HDD
    Dell A08 bios
    Dell dimension 8400

I have the drivers windoze loaded on a floppy from dell, but i'm not sure about any for linux...

thanks for the help

i just remembered that there are some specific options pertaining to RAID in the cmos screen that might be needed, i'll post those options when i'm done backing up my 20 GB my documents...

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ok the best thing you would want to do is install windows first...Trust me it will make things alot easier.......And you don't have to make a Boot loader partition........It has an option to write it to your MBR(Master Boot Record).....I would also recommend making 2 linux partitions.......1 Root partition and one home or usr partition. And for windows have 2 partitions,1 with Windows OS....And the other for all your files......It will work out better in the long run if your sytem ever crashes you won't lose all your files when you have to format to reinstall windows....

Just an Idea

3. d3r

d3r Member

great, so what would you say to setting this up?

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ummmmmm...What do you mean?